PHOENIX OWNERS I NEED HELP WITH BROADHEADS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tmberghst

PHOENIX OWNERS I NEED HELP WITH BROADHEADS

Post by tmberghst »

Ordered new Phoenix last week , it showed up Thursday , I'm putting it together that night and find out limbs are out of tiller,maybe also a lack of machining where the limb ass. bolts to the rail. So Friday its headed to Ohio to be repaired or replaced.Hope to get it back by this weekend. I was going to make my broad choice this week as season opens Saturday , less than two weeks away.From reading for weeks on this site my BH choices are 100gr 2blade rage , 100gr slick-tricks,My arrows are new fire bolts with factory fletching.I also have the option of brass inserts and blazer fletching.Phoenix owners please help if you shoot my 2 choices of BH as I do not have much time to figure out which one I will use.I am looking for a very accurate setup.Thanks in advance Don
w8cop

Re: PHOENIX OWNERS I NEED HELP WITH BROADHEADS

Post by w8cop »

I use the 100 gr Montec by G5.They shoot the same as my field tips,and the 3 deer I have taken with them never made it further than 50 yards from where they were hit.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I shoot the NAP Spitfires and Slick Trick Mags both in 125g on a GT Laser II, brass insert, and 2" Bhoning Blazers fletched with a 4 degree offset. They fly very well out of my Exocet.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I'll be using 100 gr. Rage 2 blades with my phoenix...
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have been shooting a phoenix since 05, Steelheads & Spitfires on mech. Slick trick mag & razor-trick montec G5 & Snuffer SS all good
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

Slick tricks is the way to go!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I shoot a small broadhead by Eastman Archery similar to the slick tricks and they fly exactly like my field points.
Tenpoint Matrix
wabi

Post by wabi »

Either one of those broadheads should be accurate from your Phoenix.
Just shoot them at a target to make sure there is no problems, then pick the one you like best.

(I use 100 gr Wac'em Exit(s) - a 4 blade head similar to the G-5 Striker, but 4 blades like the SlickTrick. Groups with field points and very deadly on deer!
I shoot 2215 arrows, very similar in weight to the FireBolts)
wabi
tmberghst

Post by tmberghst »

Thanks guys.Looks like the slick-tricks win.But still more choices,100gr.-1'' or 11/8'' or 125gr 11/8''.With alum or brass inserts,with factory or 2'' fletching.Thanks again
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Using alunm. arrows i use alum. insert. Using carbon arrows i use brass inserts fer the FOC gain. 100-125 gr is all about what weight you want up front as it gives more FOC. BH cut size is also more of a personal choice unless the wider it is means heavier then its all about FOC Plus how wide you want hole in animal. Some of my BH's are 1 1/2" wide
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

I'm the odd ball on here. I shoot the 100 grain Atom Broadhead and love them.
Tough, dependable and no risk of cutting my string. Fly like and same point of impact as field points and easy to change titanium wire blades. They do a number on the deer as well and leave a great easy to follow bloodtrail. But like I said...I'm the odd ball. http://arrowds.com/atom/atom.htm
Northwoods

Post by Northwoods »

I have been doing a lot of testing with my new Phoenix...

I ended up trying;
20" Firebolts+ 100gr= 370gr
20" Powerbolts+ 100gr= 405gr
22" Victory Xbolts+ 100gr= 445gr (brass inserts)

They all shoot bullseyes at 20-30yds....The Victory bolts fly the best...I suspect the better FOC has something to do with that.. :wink: I am going to hunt with 100gr Xact Mech broadheads (Innerloc)
Blitzburgh

Post by Blitzburgh »

theoldarcher wrote:I'm the odd ball on here. I shoot the 100 grain Atom Broadhead and love them.
Tough, dependable and no risk of cutting my string. Fly like and same point of impact as field points and easy to change titanium wire blades. They do a number on the deer as well and leave a great easy to follow bloodtrail. But like I said...I'm the odd ball. http://arrowds.com/atom/atom.htm
Don't feel too alone. You're not the only oddball here as I have used them for the past 2 seasons on my Bowtech. Awesome broadhead, shame they are so expensive.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I personally don't like blood trails. :wink: I haven't followed a blood trail in two years. No need, the deer are dropping within sight. :twisted:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Actually, it seems that I'm the oddball here! Is there anyone else using 150gr. bolt cutters? They fly the same as my 150gr. feild points, a little slower than the 100gr. tips but pack more punch at impact. I have absolutely no problem with accuracy changing between the field points and broadheads.

KURISU