Freezing venison

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

curtisgreen110683

Re: Freezing venison

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

We use Reynolds wax paper and freezer paper and never had any problems. Then again it usually doesn't stay in the freezer too long... :wink:
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
Morangus

Post by Morangus »

I use a Food Saver machine... works great! Never any freezer burn.
greenfishhunter

Post by greenfishhunter »

I have been using the white freezer paper for years. I've had no issues with freezer burn at all, but venison gets eaten up with regularity at my house. :D
Carutht

Post by Carutht »

To protect meat in a freezer for a year or less I use freezer bags and try to remove as much air as possible. Then I double wrap with freezer paper. For long term storage I vacuum pack and double wrap with freezer paper. Long term storage is 3+ years. Elk are quite large and it is only the wife and me. No degradation in quality from 2007.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I just use the white freezer paper and have never had any problems.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I double wrap in saran wrap and make sure it's virtually airless. Then I put it in a freezer bag and suck the air out with a straw before I seal it. Works great!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i use the white Reynolds paper butcher paper all the time....but i also use plastice wrap first and get it as tight as i can around the meat to eliminate any air on the meat....air that is in contact with the meat is where you get freezer burn....plus any meat we get from the store is frozen this way too.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Foodsaver vacuum sealers are on sale at Canadian tire this weekend for half price. I wouldn't be without mine.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
JimM

Post by JimM »

after losing some deer using the white freezer paper we went out and got a food saver. love it. I'll get 4 to 6 deer every year so i need it to keep in the freezer. i think we got from costco
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

JimM wrote:after losing some deer using the white freezer paper we went out and got a food saver.
did you use just the butcher paper by it's self or did you use plastic wrap and get an air tight seal on the meat first....if you just used the paper only you will get freezer burnt meat....i've been using the butcher paper for over 25 years on my deer with no lost venison at all....when i take out any meat i wrap like that out of the freezer and unwrap it, it looks like it was frozen in water....nice dark red color to the meat without any white frost on it ever :wink: ...........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
JimM

Post by JimM »

bob1961 wrote:
JimM wrote:after losing some deer using the white freezer paper we went out and got a food saver.
did you use just the butcher paper by it's self or did you use plastic wrap and get an air tight seal on the meat first....

It was just the paper. What ever a butch would use. It was before i started doing my own meat.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We used paper for a long time, switched to Zip lock freezer bags last year for ease of use. Today we are going to take advantage of that sale at Canadian tire and try the vacuum route.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

yeah the plastic wrap works like a vac sealer does to get the air space off the meat :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Food Saver, indubitably!!!!! :D Do ALL meat, fish and even some vegis. I reuse the bags too- some 4-5 times- after washing them with soapy water, letting dry upside down in dish rack.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Pydpiper wrote:We used paper for a long time, switched to Zip lock freezer bags last year for ease of use. Today we are going to take advantage of that sale at Canadian tire and try the vacuum route.

I had a blast sealing empty pop cans :)
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings