dry fire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shawnhunts

dry fire

Post by shawnhunts »

I have managed somehow to dry fire my 2010 vixen II yesterday.I have never ever dry fired my compound. I swear I had a bolt loaded...I feel so stupid. What should I do now? I have a few loose screws near the dissapator pads.
Shawn
2009 Phoenix, firebolts,100gr spitfires
vixenmaster

Re: dry fire

Post by vixenmaster »

Tightned those screws then take a cotton ball go over yer limbs inside n out see if itgets snagged by splinter. If not then shoot on as its ok. Cock push safety on load arrow! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
w8cop

Post by w8cop »

Howdy Neighbor..I did the same thing last week with my Phoenix.It's the first and hopefully last time I do it. I got lucky,no damage to my set up,it still shoots great !!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the club! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check the following:
*All bolts & screws.
*The limbs - go over the visually for damage, then cock the bow and run a cotton ball over them to see if there are any "splinters".
*The dissipator bars - they can (and often do) get bent on a dry-fire. If so, remove them and straighten them in a vise or by hammering them straight on a hard flat surface. (I use a 300# anvil, but not everyone has one of them! :lol: )
*I always replace the string after a dry-fire! (Yes, I've done it more than once. :oops: ) It is probably fine, but why take a chance? It could have damage under the serving. :wink:

If all seems fine after the preceding checks it probably IS FINE.
I read in a recent reply by Bill T. that almost 100% of dry-fires with a dacron (Excel) string does no damage to the limbs, and about 80% with a fastflight string survive.
wabi
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Wabi, I foolishly dry fired my bow a year ago and the limb tip flew off to never be found again. After calling Excalibur, my new limbs came in 2 days and I was ready. Here I thought I'd have to miss opening day as this happened really close to that date. Man, customer service can be fast!
Keep smiling!
Dennis
strum

Post by strum »

I got mine 2 wednesdays go ..dry fired it on thur..broke limb tip ..bent dissipator bars..sent it of fri ..got it back thur..hunting sat ..thats service..but i now drill it in my head ..cock,,safty..load arrow..aim ..check arrow seating..safty off.,,aim ..fire..
and if there is a lot of distractions,,,i put it up..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

As I have said many times. the only thing that would make my Excaliburs (I have 3) "PERFECT" would be to have an anti-dryfire catch like on my Tenpoint.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
TYE

Post by TYE »

Never fear, Excalibur Customer Service is here! :lol:

Seriously though. They are the BEST.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

usually happens to me once every year... always when talking to someone also!

Most put a sticker on their limbs that says check for arrow LOL :lol: :lol:

if you dont have any splinters on the limbs you are fine. You will see some slight cracks in the paint(just normal during painting) on the limbs but your looking for a splinter that sticks out.

if it looks good, cock the bow and recheck again... if that checks out ok, then load a arrow and shoot maybe 10 yards from target. If it flies true then you are good to go my friend 8)

if by some means something isnt right, call excalibur. Customer service is second to none and if it needs to be replaced the whole process will take 3-5 days tops :)

Ive had it happen 3 times.. the 2nd time I splintered the limb and its pretty obivious
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Been there don't want to do it again refuse to carry extra pair of underwear :D

Put a slot in my rear sight to see the rail if I second guess loading an arrow.
Tenpoint Matrix
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Put a slot in my rear sight to see the rail if I second guess loading an arrow.
Great idea!
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Did it once myself only I went looking for my arrow. Couldn't find it and went back and was looking at crossbow and noticed their was still 4 arrows in the quiver. hehehe No damage done to my Vixen.