Why Camo?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

weezy

Why Camo?

Post by weezy »

I went down the road to check my tree stand and make sure the straps were tight and parked my three wheeler 50 or so yards from it and walked to my tree,climb up,and set down for maby 5 minutes just looking around and a nice doe and her two fawns come down a trail not even 25 yards away from me.There was an faint breeze, if that, and I was wearing a t-shirt and shorts(non camo) that have been washed numerous times in Tide detergent and these deer didnt even notice me.I then wondered why the heck do I worry so dang much about being covered in camo head to toe?And UV killer detergent which i've used many times now seems kinda funny that I use that after something likes this happens :? I know using camo will atleast give you a better chance hunting,but this experience made me a little less ''camo crazy'' :)
Last edited by weezy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boo

Re: Why Camo?

Post by Boo »

Join the club.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

Because all the famous hunters on TV and in the magazine advertisements tell us we need it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I own very little camo clothing.
I usually wear dull dark colored clothing (dark green, dark brown, black or very dark gray) in non-reflective fabrics (not shiny -cotton, fleece, or wool) when hunting and the % of times being busted by the deer don't seem to change much.
I do "play the wind" when possible, but don't live by that rule, either. :lol:
wabi
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Think of it like a uniform. You won't see soccer players dressing like football players. Its trendy. There has to be some good reason why I got a boat load of it. :lol: :lol: Seriously I had snow camo with branch breakup on and was still hunting in the swamp last late season, and I had two separate deer about 6' from me before they noticed. Believe me that cost me in even more camo for the coming season this year. :roll: :D
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i wear camo to break up my outline.. with the new designs your outline is broken up. This is very important in late season hunting of hunting from a tree where you are backlit. This is very important for turkeys also :lol:

as for the UV stuff... waste of money... just like the soaps and mouthwashes :lol:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I see alot of deer when I am smoking a cigarette. I think it attracts them. They look up and I know they see smoke then just carry on with there bussiness.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Actually, deer don't see colors (other than blue) but do see b;locks of the same shade as a blob. On the other hand, shorts and a T may be chilly in Nov. (here at least).
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Dark greens, browns and grays have worked well for me over the years and I'm talking solid colors. I wear camo, but try not to be a nut about anything but being in the woods as much as possible.
In the Wind.......
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

wheelie wrote:I see alot of deer when I am smoking a cigarette. I think it attracts them. They look up and I know they see smoke then just carry on with there bussiness.
That's because they look like clouds drifting by... :lol:
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

same as scent lok camo===its what ever gives you confidence...i do like the uniform logic thats kinda neat
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I don't know if camo works or not. However I do know one thing, deer don't seem get to as antsy out of hunting season.

Case in point, last summer while I was doing some tree stand maintenance I spotted a deer as I walked to the stand. I proceeded to climb the stand and started replacing a few floorboard. With all the hammering the deer just kept on grazing.

I have a theory why that happened. You must have heard the saying: A dog can smell your fear." Actually it's the body language and the aura that emanates from all creatures of this earth. Since I wasn't in "hunting mode" my body language and aura didn't alarm the deer.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

that's why when i walk to my hunting spot i just walk there, don't sneak in and look like i'm hunting....i don't know how many deer just watch me as i just walk in as to run away when i'm sneaking in....i think that's why i do so good on state gamelands, the deer are used to people walking through them in the non hunting months as did they when you went to your treestand in shorts and a T....but make no mistake they do know when hunting season starts with all the other sneaking in hunters are out and about :lol: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Camo to me is just another word for hunting clothes. I choose hunting clothes for many reasons other than the color. Hunting clothes are made for hunters, they fit different, the pockets are placed to accommodate a hunter and the gear he or she would typically have, good hunting clothes breath in the right spots and in many cases are waterproof as well.
If you spend much time hunting from the ground or low in a tree then camo has it's place, but if you are in a blind or 30' up a tree you can wear a Ronald McDonald suit and do jumping jacks with little to fear.
I can relate to deer not caring this time of year though, they frequently walk through here without a care, but I know that when the season fires up everything will change.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great thread!!
I like to wear camo because.....well, just because I like to wear camo. :lol:
Even when it's not hunting season.
I like to identify myself as an outdoorsman.
I don't believe that it is totally necessary to ensure hunting success though.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

because i like it , just as some like any other color, and i will wear it any time of year.as far as hunting i wear black cuz all my hunting is done from either permanent or portable blinds.....jeff
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife