Passthrough

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DEPUTY

Passthrough

Post by DEPUTY »

I am a newbie as one can tell. My question is this, What is the minimum fps a crossbow needs to have a pass-through? My Barnett Quad 400 is boasting 345fps. I am using 2 blade 125 rage expandables. Any thoughts, I respect that this is an excalibur forum but please be fair. :-)
Barnett Quad 400
22" carbon shafts with vane
125 grain 2 blade rage broadhead
OkXbowHunter

Re: Passthrough

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I don't think there is a "minimum" fps for a passthrough. Too many variables to consider.

What angle is the shot
How large is the animal
Where is the shot place
What kind of animal are you shooting
What type of broadhead are you using
Bow poundage
Weight of arrow/broadhead setup
etc.

You set up should be fine to take any deer walking.

Kinetic Energy is a better gauge of what it takes to get a pass through IMHO.

Here's Excaliburs arrow performance chart. It will tell you how much Kinetic Energy is needed for a pass through on a deer.

Arrow Performance

Hope this helps
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Brand doesn't matter to me, my friend. It's a personal choice. I prefer the recuve limbs for simplicity. As for your question, velocity factors in to the formula for kenetic engery: Velocity squared times projectile weight, divided by 450,240. With an arrow weight of 350 grns and a velocity of 345 fps you should have around 100# of K.E., enough to get a pass through on just about anything in north America. Other factors are shot placement and broadhead design. With those broadheads loss of energy should be minimal. If your talking about whitetails you'll have more than enough for pass throughs provided you stay off the shoulder.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I forgot to mentionthat short, light arrows like crossbow bolts shed energy quickly. Keep your shots around 35 yards and in.
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

Thanks for the reply guys, as soon as my parts come in off to Bob1961's place to sight her in.
Barnett Quad 400
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Just finished making some 22'' arrows for my brother's Quad, and turning him on to Slick Trick magnums. It's not an Excal, :D but will definitely do the job.

Here's something you may be interested in: http://forums.crossbowmagazine.com/view ... ?f=9&t=128
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

X2 on those slick trick 125 mags :wink: ....well well it's bout time ya moved over to the dark side dude.........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I shot a deer a few years ago with a crossbow that boasted a whopping 25 foot pounds energy. The arrow zipped through the deer at 25 yards and I darned near lost it in the grass it dug in so far. Will 100 foot pounds be enough? In my opinion it's more than enough for anything that walks this earth, for deer it's overkill!
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Whitetail deer do not take much killing. They have thin, slender ribs (even on big deer) and lungs are soft in every animal. A pass-thru shot can vary as was said, but you could almost do it with a slingshot inside 20 yards. You're rig has more than enough grunt to get a pass-thru shot. No worries!
In the Wind.......
hotburn

Post by hotburn »

My old horton that went 260 fps used to get pass throughs all the time.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

As long as you avoid the major bones, you'll almost always get a pass through. The spine and shoulder blades can be tough to punch through. I had an old bear compound bow about 15 years ago that pushed a ultralight 28-inch 2413 arrow with a 100 grain head at about 220 fps. I had no problems getting a pass through with it unless I hit the shoulder or spine.

With your setup any deer you shoot will need a backstop. :wink:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I yield to master Bill T, afterall, he's taken elephant with his crossbow!!!
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Thanks for the link, Cossack. I'd love to have a stock with that finish.
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

The reason I asked was because a few years back I had the the top of the line BUCKMASTERS G2 bow 32 inch axle to axle. I had it professionally set up and everything. Every animal I shot with that bow I never once had a pass through and I know for certain one shot was through a does soft side at 25 yards and the arrow went only in half way; if that. I was using 100 grain thunderheads on aluminum shafts that were tuned and the bow was chrono'ed at 320 fps. Everyone I spoke to said I should have been finding arrows in the dirt.
Barnett Quad 400
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I am surprised whn I see videos of good vital shots that get very poor penetration. Of the 7 deer I have shot with my 330 fps exocet all have been pass thrus' including one poor placement quartering to that went single lung, gut then out thru the ham. Lots of variables and factors that come into play but I have never had kinetic energy or penetration worries with my Exocet 200.