Opinion needed for LOW cost set up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RichJ

Opinion needed for LOW cost set up

Post by RichJ »

My wifes cousin is interested in trying to hunt for his 1st time. He was wanting to get a rifle but I got him away from that idea. Since the area we live in is shotgun only and VERY limited places even for that.I got him hooked on the idea of archery hunting with a crossbow. He is on a VERY limited cashflow. I have been researching low end bows that are more of his price range and need some advise on a few of them. The Barnett Jackal seems to be the 1st choice for speed and cost. The reviews seem to be good and It's rated at 315fps. The Horton HD150. I know these are far from a Excal as we all know. I just need to get him into something entry level to get him out and away from the stress with college and a baby on the way. As we all know this is the best sport to get your life and mental side on track. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
M&M

Re: Opinion needed for LOW cost set up

Post by M&M »

Hey richj something you may do is check out craigs list you just might be surprised at what you can find. You might get a great deal on a very high quality crossbow I know that in my area there is allways a lot of bowhunting gear on there and some great deals can be had for a budget minded person
M&M
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I would try and search for a good used Excal If deer hunting is your primary game I would not get hooked on speed many deer taken with the Vixen 285 fps.
With a little patience you will find one :D
Tenpoint Matrix
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

JMO but I would suggest a recurve over a compound. No need for a bow press to change a string and much less trouble.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I got bored and decided to try and help you out. What city are you in?

http://erie.craigslist.org/spo/1961195043.html
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

I'm in the Philadelphia area. I think I may take him to Cabelas on sat and let him look at a few things there. I checked around for a used crossbow local but come up short. I think he is going with the Horton HD150 or the Barnett Jackal. They are around his price range after he gets license and a cpl other things. I dont think I'm going to let him shoot my Equinox after he buys one of those "other" bows :lol: . Thanks for the help guys.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd go with the Axiom kit.
It may cost a few $$$ more, but it has a lot of advantages and will retain it's value much better than a Barnett or Horton.
I look at my Excalibur as an investment. I can hunt with it for years with only a little care and maintenance required, then sell it for almost as much as I paid for it. If you figure the cost per hunting season it's a real value. :wink:
wabi