Wyvern String Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Re: Wyvern String Question

Post by OkXbowHunter »

wyvern wrote: to set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow (drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends.)
This is another reason I love this forum. I'm learning new things all the time :shock: I know this should have been common sense, but I never gave it another thought until he mentioned it! Makes perfect sense now... :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

GaryDowdy wrote:Thanks, David! I was also wrong, my Exomag only has one brace height line... the other was a perfect reproduction in the layer of wax.(which I have cleaned off) If David designed the string this way, I am happy with it! The string is of excellent quality!
Gary, from the pics I've seen, I don't doubt that the Wyvern string made with Brownell Astro Flight is of excellent quality.

I say that because, I'm also using Brownell Astro Flight to make my most recent strings. The performance I'm getting with my strings is very impressive. My shot consistency and accuracy is just amazing. I'd have to say it's the best material I've used to date.

Even though my strings are flemish twist, and more conducive to being twisted, I would have to imagine the your endless loop string should perform just as impressively, if it fits your bow like it should. That's the area I'm sort of wondering about.

Like I stated in my other posts above, any older Excalibur with a straight riser, is 1/4" wider limb-tip to limb-tip than the current angled riser Excaliburs. Since you have a straight riser Exomag, I honestly think that you would be better served using the 1/4" longer Wyvern string.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

OkXbowHunter wrote:
wyvern wrote: to set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow (drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends.)
This is another reason I love this forum. I'm learning new things all the time :shock: I know this should have been common sense, but I never gave it another thought until he mentioned it! Makes perfect sense now... :D

I don't mean to be critical or offend anyone, but rather I'm trying to be informative.

While it's true that a higher brace height will increase "poundage" (i.e. add pressure and stress on the limbs) of a strung, but uncocked xbow. It will neither increase speed, nor increase poundage when the xbow is "cocked". All things being equal, more speed is obtained by increasing the draw length, and thereby the draw weight of a "cocked" xbow. One way to increase the draw length is in fact to lower the brace height, which allows the string to travel further.
I just thought I'd clarify that.

So, I'm not sure what David is trying to achieve by, as he states, "set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

ComfyBear wrote: So, I'm not sure what David is trying to achieve by, as he states, "set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow.
I think he clarifies when he adds, "(drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends)"
It is a common for new guys to not understand brace height, it is often described as the two lines etched in the rail. It is the "farther/closer" thing that throws most people off simply because they do not know farther/closer from what, the trigger or the limbs.
Brace height is a very foreign word to someone new to archery, I had it so messed up in my early days that I had to get someone to send me a picture to clarify. :roll:
Bottom line, without having to think too much is that the closer the string sits at rest to the limbs the father they have to travel, thus increasing travel time and speed.
There are obvious downfalls to gaining speed using that technique, but that's a whole different story. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I think he clarifies when he adds, "(drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends)"

It is a common for new guys to not understand brace height, it is often described as the two lines etched in the rail.
Seeing that I know " just a little bit" :wink: about the history of Excalibur xbows, maybe I can shed some light on the creation of the two scribe lines.

In the early days, Excalibur Wolverine xbows didn't have any scribe lines. Later a single scribe line was introduced, which was placed at precisely 1" from the junction of the riser/rail. By doing so, it allowed the user to obtain more shot consistency. This scribe line was perceived and interpreted as the "recommended brace height".

Circa 2003-2004 a new "black" Excel string (not the one being used today) was introduced. Being made from Ultracam material it stretched very little, if at all, so the end result was that it remained a tad on the short side. With user concerns about being supplied with a string that was too short, that string was no longer made. To further reduce concerns, in 2004 Excalibur decided to place two scribe marks on all the future xbows, and stated that it was acceptable to have the string lay anywhere in between those lines.

So in reality those lines are just a guideline of where the string can sit, they are by no means the recommended brace height markers.

Hope that helps.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Ya had me right up to this line here..
ComfyBear wrote: So in reality those lines are just a guideline of where the string can sit, they are by no means the recommended brace height markers.
I wasn't challenging what you know about old bows, I just wanted to clear it up for the new guys with questions and current model bows who do not yet have their heads wrapped around the terminology. It can be terribly confusing.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

David, I never though for one minute that you were challenging my knowledge. In fact in reality the more one knows, the more one will realize that there's a lot more that one doesn't know. :wink:

Regarding the brace height, I agree with you, it can be confusing. That's why I'm trying to be as informative as I can. So I'll repeat, those two lines are the area where the string can lay. The recommended brace height is anywhere in between those lines that will work for one's particular setup.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Normous

Post by Normous »

[quote="ComfyBear"] In fact in reality the more one knows, the more one will realize that there's a lot more that one doesn't know. :wink:

As I age I wish my intelligence increased at the same rate as my wisdom seems to be increasing.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

One compound, recurve and long bows the brace height is the distance between the grip and the string. On compound bows this is a fixed measurement, and on traditional bows it can vary with string length. My thought is on the Excaliburs it is the distance from the string to the point where the riser meets the deck. My preferrred brace height with the Flemish string is 1". That's what Bill told me he preferred when he introduced me to Excalibur crossbows and it became my standard.

I am at the point now where I want to experiment, as well as learn from others here. Everything performs differently when one variable is changed. I want to see what it all does within the safe, recommended limits. David designed this string with a purpose, he's far more advanced in crossbow knowledge than I, so I will trust him. The crossbow shoots great, and since it was designed for STS, I'll add one. I was worried about adding one if I had to modify it for my brace height. The bow shoots fantastic even at the longer brace height. Very consistent!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Gary,
I own several Excaliburs, but don't use a STS on any of them. Just never got around to getting one. Anyway from speaking to those that do, it appears that their preferred brace height is 1". I've also have heard Boo, who owns several Excaliburs with STS, mention that the string should be as close to the rubber bumpers without touching. Perhaps you can PM him for his opinion.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

steve

Post by steve »

Hi folks, I've been watching this thread for a bit now because I had ordered a string from Wyvern. I'm shooting a 175 exocet with a staight riser, 2004 model I think. The scribed lines on my deck have always been very faint, actually hard to see. When I put the string on , the brace height seemed very high, so I loaded it and left it for about 16 hours. It didn't seem to change much. It is sitting now with very little twist at about a good inch and a half from the riser. I think it is about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch from the line farthest from the riser. (on the trigger side) Sorry, I can't find my tape measure. I haven't been able to shoot the bow , but will be as soon as it stops pouring rain. The brace height seems too high for my liking but will decide after I shoot it a bit. I will let you know.
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Thanks for the recommendation, Comfy, I'll see what Boo says about the STS.
steve

Post by steve »

put a tape measure to my string and with only a bit of twist in it, it measures at 1 and 5/8 from the riser. Took a half dozen shots with it and it seems to be shooting OK. Moved my scope up a click. Like I said, it shoots OK, but then it always did.