Wyvern String Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryDowdy

Wyvern String Question

Post by GaryDowdy »

I got my Wyvern string in the mail today and I'm very impressed with the quality. However, after installing it, it sets about 3/4" about the highest recommended brace height marker. I have very little twist in it. I let it sit cocked for an hour or two the carried it and and fired it. No strecth, still off the mark by 3/4". Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have it 1" lower, about a 1/4" below the top mark.

Thanks!
crazyfarmer

Re: Wyvern String Question

Post by crazyfarmer »

mine was the same way.. its setttled right at the first mark now after a week. We shot it even with it right before the first line and it did fine. Took basically all the twist out also :lol:
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Cool! I got a RED/Black sting and it looks wicked on my ExoMag. Gator hunting tomorrow, so I'll change it back with my flemish and fiddle with it next week.

How do you like yours?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

GaryDowdy wrote:Cool! I got a RED/Black sting and it looks wicked on my ExoMag. Gator hunting tomorrow, so I'll change it back with my flemish and fiddle with it next week.

How do you like yours?

driving nails:) so far good!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Seems to me that those strings are made a tad on the short side, with the thought that they'll stretch. My guess is that they are also being made to be used on an Excalibur with the angled riser. Therefore if you are using an older Excalibur (i.e. straight riser) the string will be even shorter, since the length from limb tip to limb on them is 1/4" longer.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

bstout wrote:I'm fairly certain Excalibur went to the dual string mark system on the rail at the same time they went to the swept riser or maybe not.
You're partial correct Bob, they were both introduced in 2004. However the swept/angled riser was only avaiable on the Exomax in 2004. It wasn't until 2005 that the angled riser was available on the Exocet and that the Phoenix was introduced.

My point regarding string length was that one would assume that all Excaliburs would need the same length, when in fact the ones with a straight riser need a slightly longer string.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

I have an ExoMag.
Boo

Post by Boo »

GaryDowdy wrote:I got my Wyvern string in the mail today and I'm very impressed with the quality. However, after installing it, it sets about 3/4" about the highest recommended brace height marker. I have very little twist in it. I let it sit cocked for an hour or two the carried it and and fired it. No strecth, still off the mark by 3/4". Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to have it 1" lower, about a 1/4" below the top mark.

Thanks!
I don't want this to sound like anything but a helpful comment. So please do not think it is anything but being helpful. Today's high performance string material has very low elasticity. That been said you need some twist to a string made with string material with low elasticity. Strings made from low stretch stuff like Astroflight/452X/Xcel etc should have quite a few twists. More twists mean more weight and a slower string but the difference is very very small. The twist acts like a shock absorber taking the edge off the shock that is produced when a shot is taken and sometimes in the event of a dry-fire. I would speak to David and explain your string situation and see what he thinks.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Thanks, Boo!
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Make sure you are twisting both ends :lol: (kidding)

I have had my Wyvern String on my Equinox for about 3 weeks now. I did get a slight amount of stretch. Nothing to where you are going to get 3/4 or a inch below the longest brace. I have a few twist in it where it isn't a worry. I think it stretch all of a 1/4 inch on the rail "AT Most". I would say I have about 75 shots out of it and have had it in the cocked position for hunting for atleast 24hrs now.. Bottomline, Im extreamly pleased with this string vs the 2 others that I have had on my bow.
wyvern

Post by wyvern »

Hi All:

We basicly designed the string length to achieve two things. One was to work off the shelf with the STS without having to twist the crap out of it and two to set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow (drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends.) When we did our testing the length never came up as an issue as most everyone either had theirs on a high brace height or had an STS. We have decided to make a 1/4" longer string for those that want a lower height. If you have one of our strings and want to swap it out for the longer version let me know but we basicly did the string that way for a reason and so far it seems to be working well :)

Thanks
Wyvern
Boo

Post by Boo »

wyvern wrote:Hi All:

We basicly designed the string length to achieve two things. One was to work off the shelf with the STS without having to twist the crap out of it and two to set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow (drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends.) When we did our testing the length never came up as an issue as most everyone either had theirs on a high brace height or had an STS. We have decided to make a 1/4" longer string for those that want a lower height. If you have one of our strings and want to swap it out for the longer version let me know but we basicly did the string that way for a reason and so far it seems to be working well :)

Thanks
Wyvern
I didn't expect any less from you David, thank you!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
GaryDowdy

Post by GaryDowdy »

Thanks, David! I was also wrong, my Exomag only has one brace height line... the other was a perfect reproduction in the layer of wax.(which I have cleaned off) If David designed the string this way, I am happy with it! The string is of excellent quality!
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

wyvern wrote: to set the height on the high side to get the most poundage from the bow (drawing it back to the highest amount that Excal recomends.)
This is another reason I love this forum. I'm learning new things all the time :shock: I know this should have been common sense, but I never gave it another thought until he mentioned it! Makes perfect sense now... :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

GaryDowdy wrote:Thanks, David! I was also wrong, my Exomag only has one brace height line... the other was a perfect reproduction in the layer of wax.(which I have cleaned off) If David designed the string this way, I am happy with it! The string is of excellent quality!
Gary, from the pics I've seen, I don't doubt that the Wyvern string made with Brownell Astro Flight is of excellent quality.

I say that because, I'm also using Brownell Astro Flight to make my most recent strings. The performance I'm getting with my strings is very impressive. My shot consistency and accuracy is just amazing. I'd have to say it's the best material I've used to date.

Even though my strings are flemish twist, and more conducive to being twisted, I would have to imagine the your endless loop string should perform just as impressively, if it fits your bow like it should. That's the area I'm sort of wondering about.

Like I stated in my other posts above, any older Excalibur with a straight riser, is 1/4" wider limb-tip to limb-tip than the current angled riser Excaliburs. Since you have a straight riser Exomag, I honestly think that you would be better served using the 1/4" longer Wyvern string.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings