different size vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Re: different size vanes

Post by strum »

I have used a jo jan multifletch since 95 and its fairly easy to get an offset..the tthing i like is i got a bolt adaptor and the arrow fits snug into it so no need to glue a nock on a tip or screw..
usualy if im using AAE elite i follow the dirrections..
it says if using Fastset do not wipe the base of the vane with anything and no chemical on the shaft,,only use a abrasive cleaner such as ajax,, then it says if using fletch- tite to wipe the vanes with acetone.
I have fletched a zillion (not realy, but a lot) arows this way and never have vanes come off,,
That Fastset is good stuff and it holds blazers equaly as well..I have always been very carful to not touch the cleaned shafts ,it just stands to reason that oil of my hands will mess up the bond..
call me cheap but anything to help lower the cost and works is my goal..
does the gorilla super glue expande?..i didnt think it would but yall should know..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

bkisel wrote:
Missin wrote:This might sound really really really stupid but.....i didnt think a xbow arrow spun whilst in flight becuase the vanes arnt helical. A local broadhead maker was telling me that becuase you cannot helical the vanes i need to use 3 blade broadheads to make up for it, 2 blades will make POI not the same consistanly. I did believe him becuase it meant i had to stop buying his BH's as he only made 2 blades.

Before we get to technical i think the easier question might be: I want to get the vanes best for accuracy, speed is much less a concern. So would i be best in buying the 4 inch vanes which im currently using or switching over to the 2 1/2inch blazer vane?
No! No! No! In the first place you don't need helical to get spin, offset vanes like the built arrows you get from Dan Miller give spin to the arrow. Secondly, you were misinformed about not being able to helical vanes. I've got a lot of helical on the vanes I have on my arrows, I'll try to take pictures tomorrow and post. Thirdly, without hurting my head I know of two other ways to get the fletching to give you spin. You can make rough one side of the vane. You can also have tabed vanes, think Quick Spin vanes, that will give spin to the arrow.

Take care...

Here are some pics of vanes with helical on my hunting shafts...

Bill K.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's some serious helical Bill.
The one looks like a boat prop from the back. Nice!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

j.krug wrote:That's some serious helical Bill.
The one looks like a boat prop from the back. Nice!
Yeah, been into traditional archery mostly for the past - ugh lets just say bunch of years. :) Bitzen jig has served me well, actually took some helical out to insure "cock/track" vane fit the rail track with a little space to spare. Probably way more helical than I really need but I figure that 305 fps, ~410 grain arrow, out of my Exocet will still give me plenty of thump out to 30 yards or so. The deer I took last season was with a Dan Miller arrow, same weight, very similar or the same vanes but with an offset as opposed to helical.

Bill K.
Missin

Post by Missin »

Cheers for the help guys. Going from the pics and the link bkrisel posted, looks like i have done RH helical. Not what i was aiming for but good stuff none the less!