Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Phoenix_Tom

Re: rangefinder mount

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Sure. I hunted with it last year but decided I'd rather have the rangefinder off this year.

2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
strum

Post by strum »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:Sure. I hunted with it last year but decided I'd rather have the rangefinder off this year.

how does it work?..velcro?..i see you said you would rather hunt without it..just to bulky?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

A big patch of Velcro.

It's a bit bulky and it adds a little bit of weight off center - not that that ever bothered my aim and this would only affect you if you've got a side mount RF - not a top mount. It's always a concern when bush whacking as it tends to be like a sore toe - it gets stubbed all the time. I took it off this spring to use the RF for other activities and I like being able to have a compact RF in my pocket or on a lanyard for other activities and to be able to share the RF with my son. Also, with the side mount, and the GP mount, sometimes I'd have to mess around with the RF to get it to clear the GP mount and give me a reading. I also had problems with the RF when trying to range through shoot through mesh. Getting a range through the little gun ports in the mesh isn't that easy with the RF mounted to the xbow.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
strum

Post by strum »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:A big patch of Velcro.

It's a bit bulky and it adds a little bit of weight off center - not that that ever bothered my aim and this would only affect you if you've got a side mount RF - not a top mount. It's always a concern when bush whacking as it tends to be like a sore toe - it gets stubbed all the time. I took it off this spring to use the RF for other activities and I like being able to have a compact RF in my pocket or on a lanyard for other activities and to be able to share the RF with my son. Also, with the side mount, and the GP mount, sometimes I'd have to mess around with the RF to get it to clear the GP mount and give me a reading. I also had problems with the RF when trying to range through shoot through mesh. Getting a range through the little gun ports in the mesh isn't that easy with the RF mounted to the xbow.
i like the idea and i dont like the idea..maybe i should by 2 then i could use the one i like lol
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

strum wrote:
Phoenix_Tom wrote:A big patch of Velcro.

i like the idea and i dont like the idea..maybe i should by 2 then i could use the one i like lol
For the price of the mount you can try it t see if you like it. You might then find that you want to keep it on there and like you say, you can get another RF. It's really a matterof personal taste. I liked the RF mounted (I still have the bracket mounted) but I really like it off and handy too. I'm just too much of a cheap bast**d to get a second RF. And almost everything I buy for hunting these days is in double already since my son is in his second year of his hunter apprenticeship.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

The mount has it's pros and cons like anything else in this sport. I like it for the reason it helps me to remember and carry my range finder to my blind when Im hunting along a field. My range finder mounts above my scope and feel I need a 3rd hand to use the thing sometimes. The other down fall for me is, when i'm looking through my scope my hat brim hits the rangefinder.Thats almost as bad as a bug flying around your ear when trying to take a shot.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There is definitely a time and place for the rangefinder mount, it certainly isn't necessary all the time, but in those times when it is suitable it is a very valuable tool.
I added a pressure switch to my Bushnell, makes using it a piece of cake, while minimizing movement. It triggers with less movement than releasing the safety.
I also made strap to go around the rangefinder to avoid the whole Velcro issue and add a ton of strength.
I have also taken it off and used this same set up on my Varmint rig.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
curtisgreen110683

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

I like the pressure switch!!!
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2