help with Magnus Bullheads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sits in trees

help with Magnus Bullheads?

Post by sits in trees »

Hi All, i dont want to bog you down with a whole lot of technical stuff so i'm going to keep it simple. i'm shooting the Magnus Bullhead 3.5 in heads for turkey hunting out of my Excocet 200 lb, and it's dead accurate at 20 yds. i'm using a shaft that just clears the stirrup.
now i take the very same arrow with the same head and shoot it out of my Axion 175lb and the groupings open up to 5 inchs at 20 yds. now just to be sure i shot regular feild tipped (same weight tip)arrows out of the Axiom with the same shaft and was getting 1/4 in groups at 20 yds, it is the Magnus Bullheads for sure. but why can the Excocet stabilize this big head and the Axiom can not????.....thanks Mike P
gerald strine

Re: help with Magnus Bullheads?

Post by gerald strine »

I will take a guess and say it is the spine weight of the arrow.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
secret

Post by secret »

I tried Magnus Bullheads....i found it much easier to use a muzzy grasshopper behind my same broadhead[wasp sst hammer] .i still take headshots ..... more fun with 1 3/16"!!!!!!Image
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

gerald strine wrote:I will take a guess and say it is the spine weight of the arrow.
but when i remove the Magnus Bullhead and screw on a field point of the same weight i'm grouping the size of a dime. and i'm grouping dimes with the same arrow and the Bullheads with my Excocet.
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

anybody?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Don't knowed the arrows nor the fletching but maybe with the faster Bow is able to impart a better spin.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

My WAG is that the problem is one that Vixenmaster hit on. I have an Axiom as well and thought it would group my 100 grain Hellrazors just as good as my Darton Compound would. I was wrong, it hates those heads!

But I did try some 100 grain Carbon Express Quad Pro's and Slick Trick 100 grain Magnums and they group very well, but both hit about 2" below my field points.

I just gotta believe that it has something to do with the faster speed of the arrow stabilizing your BH better.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

you guy's might be on to something, the extra fps might actually stabilize the head better. i might have to try more helical on my shafts to see what happens..whats the max degree of heli i can squeez thru the rail?
secret

Post by secret »

The only way i got those Magnus heads to fly out to 30yrds was to add 40grns of weight to brass insert[Gold Tip Lazer 2] and fletched my shafts with 5" duravanes[strait fletched]. i found afield that turkeys always dont give you a good head shot thats why i went to the grasshopper behind my wasp. body shots are a sure thing. my Exocet shoots them out to 50yrds if i want....i never shoot more than 20yrds more like 10yrds
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I think you can get by with up to 8 degrees helical if'en yer vanes are 3" & under. I have used 6 degrees with a 4" no problem
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

sits in trees wrote:you guy's might be on to something, the extra fps might actually stabilize the head better. i might have to try more helical on my shafts to see what happens..whats the max degree of heli i can squeez thru the rail?
I'm thinking that the extra inch of overhang(less arrow supported by the rail), a longer shaft causing a softer spine and a whole lot of steering from the helicopter like blades is the root of the problem. More FOC and a high amount of fletching offset is a way of covering up flight problems caused by arrows, broadheads and the bow (not that there's anything wrong with that because it results in better control of the real problem). Danny and I were talking about this last night at great length and his solution is to first shoot the same broadhead and arrow combo (using the same fletching in the arrow channel) a few times to see how the grouping is. His thoughts are that if you get good accuracy with one arrow then that is the first (and often the last) arrow shot anyways. The issue being varying spine most of the time between arras :mrgreen: Remember that by using a really long arrow you have really softened the spine so your arrow is going to flex big time pointing the wings of your broadhead according to there the spine of the arrow is each time. Danny told me he got better success in the old days when he used aluminum arrows because you could see the seam of the shaft where he put the cock feather. The assumption being that the weld would be where the spine of the arrow is.
My suggestion is to square your from insert with an ASD and see what happens.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

hey guy's thanks, you gave me some great ammo to try....once again thanks, i will get back with any positive results...
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

I just fletched up some laser 2 kinetics after tue flood i might get to let some fly,, my exocet vs my wifes pheonix kinda the same results.
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...