Accuracy Problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GaryM

Accuracy Problems

Post by GaryM »

I bought my Exocet in '97. I used XX75 2117 aluminum arrows and Thunderhead 3-blade broadheads with deadly results. I used peep sights. Several years ago I switched to Gold Tip #1 carbon fiber arrows with 5" fletching and added a Horton scope with still deadly results. Then, 2 yrs ago, one of my limbs started splintering. Dan in Ohio sent me new limbs for free that are the new style plus a new string. He said my old Gold TIp #1's would not work with the new limbs so I bought a dozen new Gold Tip carbon Lazer II's from him. The new ones have 4" fletching. There's no number on them but they are thicker than the #1's. Still using the Thunderheads. My accuracy has really suffered with this new combination and last fall I wounded and lost my first deer ever with my Exocet in 12 seasons of hunting. What should I try to improve my accuracy? Different broadheads? Different arrows? I want my old limbs back!! :( Gary
See4miles

Re: Accuracy Problems

Post by See4miles »

Thunderhead 85s, 100s, or 125s ?? Do the new Gold Tips have brass inserts?

Looks like your FOC may not be high enough.

I was a Thunderhead shooter for years with my old vertical bow and they were great. However, they were all over the place with my Excal so I immediately switched to the Boltcutters.

Even if you have the Brass inserts in your Gold Tips, and the FOC is good, it may just be the Thunderheads. I doubt your old limbs are better than the new ones though.

Let us know when you find your solution.
In the Wind.......
M&M

Post by M&M »

I used to shoot the thunderheads on my older slower horton hunter with good results, but in 2006 I got my exocet 200 and I could not get them to shoot good enough to satisfy me, I am shooting easton 2216's and I also tryed some carbons also but ended up going to the spitfires but allways wanting a fixed blade broadhead so this year I tried some of the 150gr boltcutters and they shot great all the way out to the 50yd range so maybe give them a try
M&M
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Thanks for the tips. I just ordered a pack of Slick Tricks and a pack of Bolt Cutters. Just in case my old Horton scope has gone bad, I also ordered a new Lumi-zone. I hope that does it!

What is FOC?

Gary
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

FOC Forward of center = the balance of your arrow if you balance your arrow how much is front of the balance point.
That's as much as I can give there is a calculation with the measurements to get a percentage but I do not know it or what is ideal.
I do know you don't want it balancing in the middle you want less in the front and more in the back
Tenpoint Matrix
wabi

Post by wabi »

The new limbs (new mag tip vs old carved tip) shouldn't change your velocity or accuracy, they simply allow the use of a fastflight string without damaging the limbs.
Dan probably sent you a fastflight string which will (did) increase velocity.

With that velocity increase the arrow/broadhead combination will become more important. As velocity increases any problem with the arrow flight is magnified.

If you have your old string you might want to put it on and give it a try. If the accuracy is still way off, it might be the scope.

Your new broadheads and scope will probably help accuracy, but it would be interesting to see what caused the problem.
wabi
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I've never had a fast flight string and the one Dan sent seems like a standard string to me but I'm not sure. With the new limbs the thing shoots harder than ever if I can just get a bit more accuracy. It was also a good excuse to retire my old Horton scope and get a good one. Gary
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Sometimes changing limbs or strings or any of that stuff starts you back to the begining. BH choices alone will make diff accuracy persuits & a hair pulling episode. Some of the easy combo's are slick trick's & razor-tricks. Magnus Snuffer SS Montec G5 are very good. The faster BH's & arrows are shot the more things change & have to be worked through. Spitfire mech. BH's are great & usually hit same as field pts. FOC i like mine up there 15% or more, example GT II's with alum. front inserts are not as accurate as the brass heavier fronts inserts. I shoot an old carved tip vixen & its slow but real easy to shoot accurately!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Now that you have mag-tipped limbs and can use a FFF string, your xbow speed has increased. Therefore, the problem is the Thunderheads. I've found that out through personal experience. I never had an accuracy problem until I used some Thunderheads given to me. On faster bows, with their profile being as large as it is, if your FOC percentage isn't high enough, they will steer the arrow and make it fly errantly, especially past 20 yards.

A lower profile broadhead, such as a SlickTrick or Boltcutter is the way to go if you desire consistent accuracy past 20 yards.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

If you do not want to shoot brass inserts slick trick has a 175 gr x bow head that shoots great out of My Equinox .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.