Leupold Vendetta thoughts...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

curtisgreen110683

Leupold Vendetta thoughts...

Post by curtisgreen110683 »

Is anybody using this bow mounted laser rangefinder? I am really wanting to get one of these for my Phoenix but always picky about where my money goes, especially when I already have a nice bushnell rangefinder.
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
FredBear

Re: Leupold Vendetta thoughts...

Post by FredBear »

The Vendetta is illegal in Ohio. That should help with your decision! :lol:
curtisgreen110683

Nuff said... Thank you much! :D
The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands. Gen 9:2
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

What makes it illegal in Oho?
I have read some decent stuff on it, looks like a nice rangefinder.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
curtisgreen110683

Any mechanical or electrical device that produces a beam E.I. light/laser is illegal to mount in Ohio... I didn't see that it has a laser built in and that is used to align it during the mounting process... AH NUTS! :( Leupold, Americas optics authority, with exceptions In Ohio, Illinois, Colorado, California, and probably a few more I'm forgetting... Dang it!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I see, but is that thing always emitting a red dot or is it something that turns on and off for the set up process?
I can't see it using a red dot, on a foggy morning you would look like Luke Skywalker in a corn field.
I am sure if there was a loop hole than Leupold would have found it, for the sake of sales.

Just re-read your post, it is pretty clear the dot is only used during the set up. Me, I think the red dot should have been made to be removable after the set up, would have opened up some possibilities for more states.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
curtisgreen110683

Agreed, I'll probably call my local wildlife officer this weekend and see what he had to say about it. Should be some way around it...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I don't doubt Leupld did their homework on this one, at the bottom of their site they state where it is and isn't allowed.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shoo ... ngefinder/
WMU 91
Boo string
curtisgreen110683

That sucks! :roll:
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I called them the other day. Using this rangefinder on a cross bow voids the warranty. The guy i talked to hinted pretty strong they were coming out with one for a crossbow.
curtisgreen110683

Just got off the phone with two different wildlife officers and the questions answering guy from the Ohio Division of wildlife and my local game warden and all of them say that the Leupold Vendetta laser rangefinder mounted to a crossbow or longbow of any kind ARE LEGAL IN THE STATE OF OHIO!!! They ARE NOT LEGAL TO MOUNT TO A FIREARM,I repeat, ILLEGAL TO MOUNT TO A FIREARM!!! That's awesome! I'm so getting one!!! :D :D :D
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Here in Ontario a bow isn't considered a firearm unless you are hunting with it, then it is a firearm and becomes subject to firearm laws. Leupolds site says they are legal on bows in every state, but not all states for the purpose of hunting.
I am happy you got the results you did, but I would play it safe and get that answer in writing.
I am getting one too. :D
curtisgreen110683 wrote:Just got off the phone with two different wildlife officers and the questions answering guy from the Ohio Division of wildlife and my local game warden and all of them say that the Leupold Vendetta laser rangefinder mounted to a crossbow or longbow of any kind ARE LEGAL IN THE STATE OF OHIO!!! They ARE NOT LEGAL TO MOUNT TO A FIREARM,I repeat, ILLEGAL TO MOUNT TO A FIREARM!!! That's awesome! I'm so getting one!!! :D :D :D
WMU 91
Boo string
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

This is right from the Ohio DNR website.

A DEER HUNTER CANNOT DO ANY
OF THE FOLLOWING
8. Have attached to a longbow or crossbow
any mechanical, electrical or electronic device
capable of projecting a beam of light.

To me this makes it illegal in Ohio.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Fred,

If you interpret that strictly, then pretty much every laser rangefinder made would be illegal to mount as they work by sending a beam of invisible laser light and measuring the time it takes to reflect back. The way it is written it does not seem to have an exclusion for the beam type whether it is visible or not.