Who else is frustrated with the wind?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Who else is frustrated with the wind?

Post by ninepointer »

North winds and north-east winds in my neck of the woods have been eliminating most of my spots, but still left me an option or two. After bumping a deer out of its bed on opening day, I woke up today at 5 a.m. , raring to go hunting with my new rain gear. But when I checked the wind it was from the east. East???!!! Dang!!! :x The only option I had with an east wind was to go back to bed :roll:
Last edited by ninepointer on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Crispy

Re: Who else is frustrated with the wind?

Post by Crispy »

I was a little disappointed with the swirling winds in the afternoon but was in the stand. managed to see 7 doe, no shooting.
Crispy
secret

Post by secret »

Im not frustrasted with the wind... Im frustrated with no hunting on sundays here in Pa. Im looking out at a Perfect day to hunt But our state wont allow it!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

use windfinder.com to forecast the wind. I use it at work to plan pesticide and liquid fert applications etc. and also use it to pick my hunting times up to 4-5 days in advance. It tends to be very accurate up to 60 hrs. in advance and will provide local vector as well as velocity. Awesome website used by sailors, widsurfers etc.. wind was relentless during spring turkey. I used it to pick out a still morning four days in advance and shot a big Tom.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

winds always iffy here, even more if you like hunting bottoms. It was 5-10mph winds here and from the northeast which was fine for me. Problem occurs when in the late hours the wind dies out and it actaully backfeeds the opposite direction. Thats what I hate. Its always good to have 3-4 stands in one field for that reason. All of my best stands are pretty much North winds but I didnt hunt those since I dont want to intrude on them till late Oct and Nov 8)
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

crazyfarmer wrote:Problem occurs when in the late hours the wind dies out and it actaully backfeeds the opposite direction. Thats what I hate.
I feel your pain. When the wind is less than 10mph here, I can be guaranteed that it will blow across my hunting area in every direction each hour. My hunting area is on the west side of a chain of mountains that run north to south just down from the peak near the south end of the chain. There are very few wind directions that stay constant in my hunting area. They frequently swirl around the end and/or top of the mountain and back draft the opposite direction. The prevailing wind as reported by the weather folks is typically quite different than the prevailing wind in my hunting area.

I choose my hunting spot on the fly based on the conditions when I'm walking to my stand.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I was out Friday and this morning. I found that both days were swirling winds.....no safe directions at all.

I did see a doe today so the wind wasn't the worst thing there was.

Did find what I think is a great spot today, but I think I need winds from SW, S or SE to use it properly....which doesn't happen much around here.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by dlm »

Just a thought--- I hunt from a ground blind--- wind direction worries can be reduced significantly by using incense sticks. Forget the expensive "smoke" sticks sold in hunting stores--- head for Dollar Tree and buy either pine/balsam or apple/vanilla sticks. Light two and you are good to go.
Saturday, opening day, I had two button bucks and three does walk completely around the ground blind and my scent was over-powered by the scent sticks---so close in fact, I could hear the deer sniffing the air. I passed on a doe, but she had better not come back on Monday!
Take care, and enjoy the season,
dlm
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

dlm wrote:Just a thought--- I hunt from a ground blind--- wind direction worries can be reduced significantly by using incense sticks. Forget the expensive "smoke" sticks sold in hunting stores--- head for Dollar Tree and buy either pine/balsam or apple/vanilla sticks. Light two and you are good to go.
Saturday, opening day, I had two button bucks and three does walk completely around the ground blind and my scent was over-powered by the scent sticks---so close in fact, I could hear the deer sniffing the air. I passed on a doe, but she had better not come back on Monday!
Take care, and enjoy the season,
dlm
Welcome to the forum, dlm! :)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DuckHunt wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:Problem occurs when in the late hours the wind dies out and it actaully backfeeds the opposite direction. Thats what I hate.
I feel your pain. When the wind is less than 10mph here, I can be guaranteed that it will blow across my hunting area in every direction each hour. My hunting area is on the west side of a chain of mountains that run north to south just down from the peak near the south end of the chain. There are very few wind directions that stay constant in my hunting area. They frequently swirl around the end and/or top of the mountain and back draft the opposite direction. The prevailing wind as reported by the weather folks is typically quite different than the prevailing wind in my hunting area.

I choose my hunting spot on the fly based on the conditions when I'm walking to my stand.

DuckHunt

if they call for a north wind, I usually a south wind stand LOL
Saturday the wind shifted and my scent was blowing right into the field where the doe where. None winded me but had mossy horns came out i'msure he would have. Its extremely bad when you have doe out early in the field and one busts you before the big guys have a chance to come out. At that point, the doe that decided to blow usually gets a arrow :lol:
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

evaughan wrote:use windfinder.com to forecast the wind. I use it at work to plan pesticide and liquid fert applications etc. and also use it to pick my hunting times up to 4-5 days in advance. It tends to be very accurate up to 60 hrs. in advance and will provide local vector as well as velocity. Awesome website used by sailors, widsurfers etc.. wind was relentless during spring turkey. I used it to pick out a still morning four days in advance and shot a big Tom.
Thanks for the link, evaughan. Great site, its now in my favourites! :)