Question about bow takedown

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sipsey

Question about bow takedown

Post by sipsey »

I recently took my limbs off the main rail to see if the bow would fit in a plastic gun case. After putting it back together , at a later date, I have been struggling with accuracy. I seem to remember a topic from a while back that spoke of a black spacer that resided between the riser and and rail. There is an obvious gap where it would seem to go.

Have I lost my spacer, my mind, or both? Also would this contribute to an accuracy issue?--Have just begun to get serious in my pratice and was on the verge of refletching arrows and looking at other aspects of my shooting , looking for my lost accuracy.

Thanks ahead of time for your replys.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
Pydpiper

Re: Question about bow takedown

Post by Pydpiper »

The spacer goes between the limbs and rail, not the riser and rail. That spacer you read about is in a different spot.
There should be no issues from removing the riser, the gap you see is always there. You need to look elsewhere for your accuracy issues.
This is the spacer you are reading about, you can see it touching my fletching.

I break mine down often, with no change in POI.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is a gap between the riser and the rail which is normal. I've bolted my riser flush to the rail and eventually the space reappears. I've never seen any spacers anywhere on the bow. There are thin plastic shims under the limb bolts and the limbs. Those shims are needed but not for accuracy reasons.
I assume you removed the large bolts from under the rail to separate the riser from the rail?

Some people just like stepping on rakes
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

been taking mine apart every time since it was new two years ago, and it's still hitting bullseye's at 50 yds :wink: ........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Check to make sure that the arrow channel on the riser and the channel on the rail line up. I don't know how but once putting my bow together after a break down I had a slight misalignment and it did give me fits until I found the issue. No threads got messed up. What I do now is to put a shaft on the rail and riser to insure alignment before fully tightening the bolts. Then double check alignment before considering good to go. Agree with others that done right (which should be the norm, don't know how I screwed up) there should be no change in the POI after reassembly.

Take care...
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pyd and Bob I really like your set ups in the bow cases for your broke down Xbows.
May have to consider doing that myself. :wink:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

bkisel wrote:Check to make sure that the arrow channel on the riser and the channel on the rail line up. I don't know how but once putting my bow together after a break down I had a slight misalignment and it did give me fits until I found the issue. No threads got messed up. What I do now is to put a shaft on the rail and riser to insure alignment before fully tightening the bolts. Then double check alignment before considering good to go. Agree with others that done right (which should be the norm, don't know how I screwed up) there should be no change in the POI after reassembly.

Take care...
i started to put mine together once and had that happen, it was just enough play that riser sat on top of the rail....i seen it right away as i hold the riser on with my two fingers on the rail "top side" as i'm putting the two bolts in from the bottom....the string holds the riser up an 1/8" as it is the nature of beast with excalibur crossbows, now i just watch for that not to happen and good to go :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Thanks for all the input. You guys make are like a 24/7 customer service, tech. support hotline.

After carefully viewing the junction of limbs and rail, I loosened up the 2 bolts and carefully aligned them in good sunlight. Then I trimmed the plastic tabs that ever so slightly protrude either side of limb ends.

Shot a 3 shot group free handed that was better than any I had previously shot. Shot another group of my stoney point stix and it was also good. After a slight adjustment of the front sight, the last group could easily be encircled by thumb and middle finger, at 30 yds.

Thaks again for the help, (and all was right with the world) :wink:

Now I get to sight in all over again in a day or 2 when my new Lumizone arrives.(birthday present)
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines