Favorite times and weather for deer hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Re: Favorite times and weather for deer hunting

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I was just thinking about this the other day! :D

I couldn't come to a conclusion whether I've killed more deer in the mornings or afternoons. I prefer to hunt the afternoons so I don't have to get up so early. But I love sitting in the woods and watching the World come alive as the Sun comes up.

According to my notes, I've killed more big bucks in the Mornings (from daylight to noon) than I have in the afternoons.

As for weather, I prefer cool and cloudy. I've hunted in the rain but don't prefer to do it. A light and steady rain doesn't affect the deer that much. They're use to it. They're in it for 365 24/7 so it's not a big deal to them. Now a heavy downpour type rain will put them down most of the time.

My favorite time to hunt is just prior to a big Winter storm hitting. Animals know when a front is approaching. The bigger and badder the front, the more movement you'll see from animals just prior to the front arriving. They'll be out filling their guts in anticipation of having to lay up for a while after the storm hits.

I also like a full moon during the day during the Rut. My notes over the years have revealed that I've had more buck encounters when this happens.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
TPM

Post by TPM »

Every deer I've ever taken has been between 7:30am and 1:00pm. I've also seen far more big buck activity in the mid day than I have in the morning or evening.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Just like OkXbowHunter I prefer the afternoon hunt so don't have to get up so early as well but I also like being in the stand and watching and hearing the morning come alive. That being said I seem to go on more morning hunts than afternoon hunts just because the household schedule makes it that way.

As for weather I like it cool or cold and overcast. Not a big fan of hunting in the rain but I only have limited opportunities to get out and hunt so unless it's a heavy downpour I won't let the rain keep me from hunting.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I like to go out about 2 hours before its going to be dark, thats when they all come out near me. cloudy is always better. the best is going out when its snowing, love sitting in a treestand with the snow falling all around and only being able to see 150 feet ahead of you, plus having that wood stove burning smell getting blown around the air.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I like mornings when you can walk in through the corn while the moon lights your way. I think mornings like this can be counterproductive, because if you can see better so can the deer!

Love watching the morning come. Opening day I was treated with a babbling brook nearby. That sound was slowly drowned out by the world waking up. Birds chirping, crows cawing, squirrels running around and general traffic and city noise because I'm only a couple of miles out in the country.

My schedule is extremely limited as well and I hunt whenever I'm able but I do like sleeping and would actually prefer the afternoon hunt!

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by DirtyGun »

I have seen more deer movement in the afternoon and bumped more deer in the morning. Bumped deer in the morning aren't much of an issue if you handle the situation correctly. If they busted you by sight or smell, well, then you're done. If they did so by sound and just let off a single blow and run for a short distance, you can usually keep them around by blowing back. Practice it. It works. :wink:

I prefer the afternoon simply because I have seen more feeding behaviour in the afternoon in comparison to the morning, when most deer are travelling to a bedding area instead of stopping to feed.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I enjoy the morning hunts but evening or all day is good too. I have so much daily work to get done on our place fer our well being i am usually back at the cabin by 10 am.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
evaughan

Post by evaughan »

I quit archery hunting in the evening 4 years ago. To many sleepless nights after shots and too many deer found in the morning that were unuseable (something that has never sat well me). In the gun hunts I hunt evenings as recovery is generally less of an issue but a quick review of our camp records over the last decade show 24 deer taken in the am and 4 in the pm anyway.
Mornings all the way.

I also don't hunt much until the leaves are down and the bucks are revved up. I haven't been out yet, probably go hard starting around mid month until nov. 15.
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

If its a down pour I head to the truck, light rain or drizzle I'm there. I see deer all day long, not alot "some here some there", but I see most of the bigger bucks from 10:00am till noon.
Crispy
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Well my favorite time would have to be anytime in the bush, because morning, afternoon, and sunset have all produced equally well. For the weather I hate it hot, I much prefer cool days. Absolutely worst weather for me wind, wind, and more wind just never see any deer. I dont mind a slow drizzle, but hate the downpours washes away bllodtrail fast. My favorite weather is after a snowfall, lots of tracks to be seen and easy to follow a blood trail. This year though I will not be pushed out of the bush by mother nature unless there is a lighting storm as I have prepared a permanent stand that me and the children will enjoy for many years to come.
Industrial shelving
Instaling frame and door
shooting window
facing big field
So far i love it !! I have also put a mister buddy heater in there for those cold mornings to get the chill out of the bones.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

That's a pretty fancy door for a redneck stand. I think you should rip it off and put a piece of plywood with a doorknob up. :lol:
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

DirtyGun wrote:That's a pretty fancy door for a redneck stand. I think you should rip it off and put a piece of plywood with a doorknob up. :lol:
Wow thats a great idea!! Why dont you send me a pic of your front door so i could visualize that better.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
strider23

Post by strider23 »

I love hunting in the afternoon the best. I've always seen a lot of interesting wildlife, and not to mention the beautiful sunsets. The only bummer side is that I tend to shoot my deer closer to dark, which means gutting the animal in little to no light and dragging it out of the brush in the dark.

But I do like to hunt the mornings to watch the "woods come alive". Any deer taken then can be gutted by daylight. I guess we are all picky people to some degree or another.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I hunt about any time I can get out. :lol:
That usually works out to evenings now, since my wife is working in the mornings and I have to get our son off to school. :roll:

As for weather, about the only time I won't shoot a deer is when it's raining harder than a drizzle and/or more rain is likely.
Had the experience of chasing one through the fields & woods during a downpour one time, and that was enough! I did get the deer, but I had to put another arrow in her and still track her past 2 or 3 more beds.
When I first shot her it was just drizzling, but then the skies opened up. I knew the blood trail would wash away, so I took the trial immediately. She was fatally hit with that first arrow, but by pushing her I made it a difficult recovery. She would go 30 yards and bed down, then when I got close she would go another 30 yards. :roll:
I finally got close enough to put a second arrow through her, and she still went another 40 - 50 yards before she went down for good. Right in a creek bed with it pouring rain! Not a good memory, but I did get her out!

If it's raining I might go out and watch them, but I'm not going to shoot while it's raining!
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've seen the most deer immediately after a quick rain shower. Time of day doesn't really matter as long as the grass is still wet. Gets even better if the sun is back out.

My second favorite . . .a extreme cold night with a hard frost that somehow warms up nicely around noon, I find deer every time starting around 11 a.m. on the sunny side of the hills, grazing. I have watched them come out of the woods and immediately sit down in the sun. I'll give you three guesses to how I figured this one out. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen