Good Evening Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Good Evening Hunt

Post by theoldarcher »

Most of the first of this season has been spent sitting on the sidelines for one reason or another but, yesterday I finally got out for a little while just before dark. I got to my blind which sits next to an open grown up field that butts up to an acorn flat. My deer usually will filter out of their bedding area in the evening through this field into the flat. For the most part of the day it has been mostly cloudy so I figured with the low light conditions that the deer would move early into he flat to feed.
About 6:30 I noticed a lone gobbler feeding its way across the edge of the field where the field connects into the oak flat, soon he was joined by three more gobblers. They took their time feeding along picking up seed and bugs. While watching the birds something brown caught my attention in the edge of the field moving along slowly. I watched and sure enough a doe came easing her way toward where the birds were feeding. She eased along picking an occasional acorn watching the birds. She got within 20 yards of the birds and started stomping around and playing with the birds, running around like a kid playing with a dog. By now she was within 30 yards of where I was sitting. I picked up the range finder to get my last measurement before loosing an arrow her way. While ranging her I realized that there were little knobs on top of her head.
As a personal choice, I do not shoot knot heads. They don’t grow into good bucks if you take them before they have a chance to show what they are capable of being and I do have some good genetics in the area I hunt. So, I lowered the range finder and enjoyed the show. For almost 15 minutes he played with those birds before they feed on out into the wood line to roost for the night. After the birds left the little knot head walked within 8 yards of me, never knowing I was anywhere around. I left the woods yesterday without a deer but I gained an experience and memory that will last longer than the venison would have and a chance to see him again latter on…maybe a little bigger.
vixenmaster

Re: Good Evening Hunt

Post by vixenmaster »

Sounds like a wonderful afternoon afield
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Sometimes waiting to get one is more fun than the getten. Makes for great memories. 8) :D
bucont

Post by bucont »

Gotta luv that. Thumbs up!
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice, a great day in the field for sure! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads