Tracking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DEPUTY

Tracking

Post by DEPUTY »

Bad new fellas, shot a buck today but was unable to find him after tracking him in the rain for 3 hours. I would like to that BOB1961 for helping me on the second go round, I had a good broadside hit with alot of blood and tissue on the ground, but he ran more than 400 yards. I shot him at 50 yards and the arrow went right through him. I was using the 125 grain 2 blade rages. We were both trying to figure out how this deer kept going. :?
Barnett Quad 400
22" carbon shafts with vane
125 grain 2 blade rage broadhead
OkXbowHunter

Re: Tracking

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I hate to hear that, I feel your pain. Lost a Doe Sunday morning. It never get easy.

Like you, I too wondered how a deer could have ran as far as it did when it appeared to be hit lethally.

I'm sure you'll have other opportunities as the season continues. Just try and make the best of them. That's all anyone can do really!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

That is why I have an up and coming star! And I thought my beagles were a house terror! :) :)
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

wheelie wrote:That is why I have an up and coming star! And I thought my beagles were a house terror! :) :)
I have to laugh every time I see your dog. Is he concentrated that hard or hates his photo being taken. :lol: :lol: :lol: Look at those front paws :shock: :shock: I would'nt want him tracking me.
Boo

Post by Boo »

agingcrossbower wrote:
wheelie wrote:That is why I have an up and coming star! And I thought my beagles were a house terror! :) :)
I have to laugh every time I see your dog. Is he concentrated that hard or hates his photo being taken. :lol: :lol: :lol: Look at those front paws :shock: :shock: I would'nt want him tracking me.
Laugh? I think that dog is going to be a serial killer! Look at that face! If a dog could scowl then that dog is scowling for keeping him awake! :mrgreen: Wheelie, you should call him Badazz! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

bstout wrote:
DEPUTY wrote: We were both trying to figure out how this deer kept going. :?
It sounds like you didn't hit the vitals or any major arteries. It's not much of a surprise at 50 yards.
It was a solid hit behind the shoulder, that much I can tell you. Fifty yards or not that arrow went deep into him. Now that I really think about it I didn't see and exit wound as the deer turned the other way. He was leaking from one side. My mistake. :evil:
Barnett Quad 400
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Two things that make me cringe..."50 yards" and "in the rain".

How many more of these stories are we going to see before people actually get it? If you insist on hunting in the rain, limit your shots right down to 20 yards. Better yet, put the bow down, pick up the shotgun and go duck hunting.

Never ceases to amaze me every year how many stories we see regarding people losing deer and 95% of them have the same variables involved: Shot taken in the rain and/or shot was stretching effective range.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

yeah the amount of blood we followed the 1st 250 yds i was expecting to walk up on him at any moment :shock: ....then finding chunks of tissue from his insides as well :shock: :shock: , then no blood as it stopped bout 400/500 yds from the start where we picked up the trail....any chance you hit the shoulder blade and just stuck it in there and not through it, that would count for all the blood from a good flesh wound but no vitals being hit....but still finding that pink blob of what i think was lung tissue :?: ....very strange indeed how these whitetails can do what they can when hit....my last deer died within 20 seconds but covered 500 yds on a dead flat out full burst run the whole way too :shock: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

If I'm not mistaken there's a area above the lungs where if hit, will not kill the deer.....kinda a dead zone of its own.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by DEPUTY »

DirtyGun wrote:Two things that make me cringe..."50 yards" and "in the rain".

How many more of these stories are we going to see before people actually get it? If you insist on hunting in the rain, limit your shots right down to 20 yards. Better yet, put the bow down, pick up the shotgun and go duck hunting.

Never ceases to amaze me every year how many stories we see regarding people losing deer and 95% of them have the same variables involved: Shot taken in the rain and/or shot was stretching effective range.
Guy take it easy, I by no means am an amateur so I know my shooting distances. Yes, you will hear stories from people losing deer at all distances, so cringe all you want, it is a fact of life in the deer hunting world. Don't tell me I should go Duck hunting, if you cant respond in a respectable manner then don't reply. I did the best I could with my best friend to find this animal. Another arm chair quarterback!
Barnett Quad 400
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DEPUTY wrote:
DirtyGun wrote:Two things that make me cringe..."50 yards" and "in the rain".

Guy take it easy, I by no means am an amateur so I know my shooting distances. Yes, you will hear stories from people losing deer at all distances, so cringe all you want, it is a fact of life in the deer hunting world. Don't tell me I should go Duck hunting, if you cant respond in a respectable manner then don't reply. I did the best I could with my best friend to find this animal. Another arm chair quarterback!
I agree . . .without knowing the skill of the shooter, we can not judge. There are several stories about 20 yard shots that end up the same way.

Sounds to me like you hit it a little high. Human error, mechanical error . . .doesn't matter. It's a fifty yard miss.

Question is . . .will you be comfortable taking another 50 yard shot or will you wait it out for a forty yard shot next time?

I missed a thirty yard shot two seasons ago. Not positive what happened, but, I missed completely. The next day, I made a forty yard shot with no hestation. I'm very confident in my ability to make a forty yard shot with my Exomax. However, not so confident at fifty becuase of factors beyond my control. With my Vixen I'm confident out to 30 yards.

Longer range shots are risky not so much because the shooter doesn't have the skills, but, due to the elements. Too many things can and do go wrong. A deer can take a step and a half before the arrow gets there from my Exomax at 50 yards. I perfer to get them closer.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
DEPUTY

Post by DEPUTY »

Yes I am confident out to 60 yards, and would not hesitate on taking another shot at 50. Variables do come into play and I am a very competent hunter. I don't expect sympathy, but will not tolerate someone telling me to quit bowhunting!
Barnett Quad 400
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

DEPUTY wrote:Yes I am confident out to 60 yards
There's a lot of difference in being able to shoot 60 yards and being able to hunt deer at 60 yards.

Do the math on the speed of your set up . . .a deer can take a nap and still leave the scene before your arrow gets to him at 60 yards.

You are a grown man . . .you can do what you want. However, don't be surprised when you do the same thing and expect a different outcome.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Deputy, no need to be so defensive, we are all pretty much friends here. I am able to make very good consistent shots on targets but I choose not to shoot beyond 40 and that is using a rest. Some do not choose to shoot at a Whitetail past 30. When I see those who say that anything beyond 30 is stupid I also choose not to respond as these are my friends.

Edit to add:while it is very common for 30 yards to be the limit for most archery hunters the only time I will shoot a deer past 30 and under 40 are during certain circumstance only and I am very strict with myself on that.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

Here's what I was talking about when referencing the "No Kill Zone".

From this website:

http://trailcameras.net/hunting-blog/bo ... cement.php

It shows pictures of deer on trail cameras walking around with an arrow sticking out of it's side.

Along with some skeletal examples as well.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS