A letter from a older hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

A letter from a older hunter

Post by Boo »

I thought you guys might get a kick out of this guy. He's 78 and still hunting!

Hi again Don,

Well my Wisconsin bow hunting has ended. The Boo string performed beautiful. I arrived back in Florida Yesterday 10-6-2010.

I was very fortunate again this year in that I got a nice doe, and a really nice 8 pointer

Saw quite a few deer early in the season. As things progressed they seemed to turn nocturnal. There is almost no hunting pressure in the area I hunt. Most years I never see another bow hunter.

Early on I hunted in a stand I call Honey tree. Over the past 10 years I have harvested at least 6 deer , a mix of does and smallish bucks from this stand.

Anyway, I arrived at this stand about 6:45 AM. Shortly after I got in the stand two does and two yearlying appeared. I finally took a shot that I probably should not have taken. The shot was 23 yards with a fairly sharp angle. I had to shoot over the back of one of the smaller deer.Trying to figure out the exit point I took the shot. It was high up but I got one lung and the liver and apparently I also got a major artery. The deer ran about 50 yards but I lost sight of her. When I got down out of the stand I looked for the arrow to verify a solid hit. No arrow to be found. And no blood trail. Darn Darn. I walked to the spot I had last seen her and nothing. As I back tracked to relive the shot I did find a slight blood indication. I looked past the last blood sign, and.............. There she lay. A really nice mature doe.

My brother and I hunt in North western Wisconsin and we process our own deer.

A couple of days later I was hunting an area I call the Monks house in which I have shot two really nice rack bucks in past years.

My trail camera had crapped out so My brother-in- law agreed to share his camera. We had pictures of 5 or 6 does, and two nice bucks at this particular spot.

LO and behold about 6:15 PM out popped a really nice buck. Usually a big buck takes about an hour to move 25 yards. This guy just walked right up. I took the shot and had a great hit. The buck ran over the crest of the hill and towards an 8 acre swamp. As luck would have it the buck left a great blood trail for 75 yards and there he lay.

Since I am 78 years old and my brother-in-law is 70 we brought a 4 wheeler and dragged the deer up to the wood road and loaded the buck on the back of the 4 wheeler trailer.

I can only bring back to Florida a limited amount of venison so I only hunted for fun the rest of the time. Two deer was plenty of venison.

It is really neat to watch deer and know that you don't have to shoot.

Don thanks again for the reserving on my strings.The Excalibur Exomag worked great.

Thom Erhardt

Some people just like stepping on rakes
groundpounder

Re: A letter from a older hunter

Post by groundpounder »

I hope to be the same way! Thanks for sharing Don.
Why ride when you can walk!
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Hopefully we will all be fortunate enough to be that active and healthy at 78! Great story. Thanks,Don.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Don another happy customer and hunter .
The best things in life are not things!!
wabi

Post by wabi »

Darn nice buck he got!

I hope I'm still able to hunt at that age. Matter of fact, I just hope I make it to that age! :lol: :lol:
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Well congrats to Thom fer a couple of nice deer. I plan on hunting as long as i can, figure about a100 yrs old will do
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great story and good to see the the old fellas are still hard at it!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

My Dad turned 91 in June of this year and still cuts grass - am hoping that means I have several years left to enjoy the outdoors.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
bwagss

Post by bwagss »

Great story, thanks!
When you think you know everything, you find out how much you don't know.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

good story and great looking buck
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125