Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Trophy Hunting

bad for the image of our sport
63%
healthy for our sport
10%
don't know, don't care
13%
I wish it was me up there in the spotlight! Show me the money, baby!
13%

Total votes: 30

Red Label

Commercialization of Hunting

Post by Red Label »

Do you think the huge money, advertising, competition, sponsorships, and publicity surrounding huge trophy animals is healthy for our sport, or does it breed contempt in the eyes of the non-hunting world?
Last edited by Red Label on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cdngunner

Post by cdngunner »

do we get to vote more than once, like the other polls :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I really believe that the poll title is incorrect. I consider myself a "trophy hunter" as I will pass up all small bucks waiting on a mature animal.

Now if the title was - Commercialization of Hunting - then that would be different..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

how's that buddy? :wink:
Digger

Post by Digger »

I may have thought I wanted the best trophy animal I could get when I first started hunting back in '58, but as I got older and I hope more mature I was just happy to get out in the woods with a few like minded friends for a week or two away from my job in The Big Smoke and enjoy myself.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Red Label wrote:how's that buddy? :wink:
Thank you kind sir...

I feel much better now knowing my buds on here aren't voting against me.. :wink:
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

The problem with trophy hunting is the non-hunting public don't realize that the animal is eaten. They think the animal was killed "just for it's antlers". I'm very careful with who I tell I'm a hunter. For people I do tell the first question they ask me is "do you eat the meat?". Once they find out that it's against the law to let game meat spoil they settle down. I wish I could say it doesn't matter what the non-hunting public has to say but in Canada I think we need to be careful. :(
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Geee's I gota pick all 4 :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
twogun

Post by twogun »

I think the comercialization of trophy hunting is good and bad.

On the good side, deer hunting has become big business. It generates a lot of revenue and creates a lot of jobs. This gives hunters a lot of political clout. The bigger the hunting industry becomes the safer we hunters are from groups like PETA.

Although not necessarily a hunting issue, Al Gore would probobly have been president if not for his position on gun control. Gun owners have political clout. If you'll notice, that has not been an issue so far this time around.

On the bad side, money corrupts. The fame and fortune associated with trophy hunting creates a lot of cheating and poaching. Years ago a realative told me that he was against big buck contests because the winnings motivated poaching. We were talking about $150 I believe.

Aside from being able to prove it, which is a big aside, I know of at least one fellow who poached an enormous buck and got his picture and story in a hunting magazine, and it wasn't for poaching.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I would say Trophy hunting could be viewed by the general public as bad due to the falsehoods spread about what trophy hunting is. However, as a hunter, I admire a fellow hunter that gets many trophies over the course of his/her lifetime. We just need to be carefull around the anti's.

...and if a guy can make a living out of shooting trophies, my hat's off to him! You don't see Tiger Woods being chastised for making a wack of dough hitting a little white ball!

So, I don't really know what to vote on this one? I'll say it's bad to the public, but not from my own perspectrive.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I feel that the TV shows leave out the most important parts of the hunt-Spending time with friends and family and enjoying the meat that you worked so hard to obtain!
-Richard-
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Depends on your view of a trophy !

Obviously the majority of mature bucks have benn around and are tougher to pattern and hunt then some younger bucks , does and fawns . But that said ... there are some really clever does out there ! A spot I've been hunting has an old matriarch doe that it traveling with triplets this year ... man she is as weary as they come ... I would say she would have to be the best trophy in that area due to the skill required of a hunter to get anything by her !

She enters the food plot from an adjoining swamp to the east of the food plot and doesn't hang out with the usual gang ! I have observed the other deer that come to this food plot ( west swamp ) actually hang up in cover and watch for this doe to pick her way into the field before they will enter .

I have thought about putting some time in on her but I've developed a respect for her skills this season and I feel better letting her keep on teaching the young ones she has in tow ! Man they are a weary bunch of fawns as well !

You have to see it to believe it ! I move around ( change stand location frequently ) and I swear when she comes out she is looking for me !! Even when I have fooled her ( she's been in range this year ) she seems to be looking for me . She has caused me a few late stands ... staying up the tree until she has moved far enough away that she doesn't catch me on the way down !

A little cat and mouse game that has added another dimension to the hunt this season !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd have to say some of the TV shows are many times bad on the image of sportsmen and hunters. Taking some bozo into a blind where all he has to do is follow the guide's instructions to shoot a trophy animal (and frequently a poor hit from a poor angle) is not a great image to portray. It makes hunting look like a pay-per-kill game.
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Trophy hunting is quite similar to catch and release fishing. You "release" smaller bucks/bear/moose in hopes of getting something a little bit bigger. Being close and watching other critters pass undisturbed is as exciting as catching fish that you aren't going to keep. What you keep though, should be eaten. Being selective can be of benefit to the populations.

For example: this year I went after bear. Last year I had taken my first, it turned out to be a sow. So I figured the only way I'm going to take another bear this year is if it's a real bruiser(better chance of it being a male). So my being selective, allowed smaller bears(more likely to be female) to walk and live on to keep the population in a positive state in that area.

Now commercialization, and "growing" trophy bucks for cash paying clients I'm not so sure about. Food plots with specially engineered plants designed for one reason and one reason only (the growth of large antlers) seems like cheating. It used to be that seeing a monster buck was a once in a life time opportunity, but now more and more trophy bucks are being taken on ranches. Long standing records are being broken. New records are short lived. I don't know, just seems that some of the magic surrounding a trophy, when taken in this manner, has disappeared.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"I don't know, just seems that some of the magic surrounding a trophy, when taken in this manner, has disappeared."

AMEN!!!!
Woody Williams