A different approach

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fuel80guy

A different approach

Post by fuel80guy »

This year i thought id take a totally different approach with my bowhunting tactics.
Every year im chomping at the bit to get out there like everyone else is.
Ive completely stayed away from bowhunting on purpose as in the past ive found that october has been an exercise in frustration and education.Frustration on my part and education on the deers part about me.I have found the first 3 weeks of oct to be very slow in the past.This year ive been monitoring alot of forums and learning from others.My older brother has finished bowhunting for this year as he tagged out on a small buck and doe last week.He tagged out so early because of a shoulder operation today and normally is bowhunting 80 days a year so i get tons of insight from him.
He has given up a few spots for me to hunt this fall and we set up a ladder stand in the rain yesterday with my daughter.My daughter is going for her hunting course next weekend and has already bought herself a pink vixen.Im determined to arrow a decent deer this year with the pink bow for her,,please insert your own jokes here. Ive promised my daughter when she gets her hunting license to buy her a pink 20 gauge for coyote hunting this winter.
Its quite a different way of looking at bow seaon through a beginners eyes and puts a whole new perspective on bowhunting should i arrow a deer with her vixen.
Ive got the first 2 weeks of november off for my selfish addiction=roaming bucks but other than that its about her this year.
Good luck to all.
Galgo

Re: A different approach

Post by Galgo »

No jokes here. I took my 7 year old son out for his first deer hunt this w/e and he has three younger sisters behind him lining up for the next hunt(s) thats allot of pink vixens :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Never been hunting up yonder, but down heear its been hot. Not just temps but deer moving, i have given 2 dirt naps & saw 16 so fer & let 10 walk. Season has been open 28 days & i have only hunted a dz mornings
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

It has been warm/hot here. But I've seen more deer in the woods this year than in recent years. The heat has not slowed deer movement at all in my area. There is an extremely good acorn crop this year and the deer have been staying in the woods for the most part. There is little reason for them to venture out info fields when there is more high quality protein than they can eat right their in the woods. You may want to check your food sources this year. The oak trees in my area have been a real hot spot so far.

Now if I could only spot something with decent antlers.

Good luck.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Like DuckHunt and Vixen, the hot weather here didn't slow the deer down much. They move just a tad earlier and later, but they're still moving during daylight hours...barely... :)

I've always considered the first two weeks of Oct. as one of the best times to arrow a Trophy Buck if you have one patterned. Any later than that and he's gonna start roaming looking for hot Does.

If you don't have one patterned, then late Oct. though Christmas is going to be your time to take a bruiser. In my neck of the woods, the week of Nov. 12 comes to a halt for me. I do nothing other than deer hunt that week if I haven't filled my Buck tags. It's a Magical time of year for Buck hunters!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I never get serious about arrowing a deer until after our shotgun hunt these days,love the cold & snow with the bow.
I used to gete'r done at the beggining of our season and then spend time cutting wood in the bush the rest of the fall.Now that I do not have a wood stove I can hunt right to Dec 30/ :D
The best things in life are not things!!