color blind and cant see blood

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

color blind and cant see blood

Post by one shot scott »

Any others here like me? I was told I was color blind at age 14 and I thought to myself the good ole doctor is stoned!! I can see colors just fine. And I can, but when its mixed in with other ones then thats the problem.(red & green!) :shock: Still no problem i thought, it will never be an issue. Then I decided to be an auto tech, when it comes to wiring I have to be VERY careful when a colour has a certain color tracer on it, but I manage to cope. What really bothers me is now that I have took up hunting I cannot find a spec of blood spilled on the forest floor to save my life. I have to rely on a buddy to come out to help. If hes not able to come out then I try my best to follow the travel route of the deer, looking for ALOT of blood (if its wet and the ground is dry, and theres alot of it, I can spot it) but mostly a hope for a deer that has fallen nearby. I hear the blood tracker lights are crap, Mostly im hoping to hear from someone who has the same problem to see what works for them. Or does anyone have any info on how to teach a dog to track?

For "Poops and giggles" I have included a link for anyone to test if they are color blind, I cant see any of the shapes they list there :mrgreen:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca
scroll down to see the test
Last edited by one shot scott on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Re: color blind and cant see blood

Post by vixenmaster »

My eye's are losing vision so i started training my JR/Beagle mix pup toblood trail last yr. 5 deer were taken off my hunting place & i took her to each downed deer. She was excited but really didn't know what i wanted her to do. This yr i put her on the begining blood trail & she found both deer very quickly & was standing on each one when i got to her. I had already trailed each deer so i knowed where they were ahead of time. So now if'en i hit one & lose the blood trail i can put her on a leash & fairly sure she will take me to the deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
munch

Post by munch »

one shot scott wrote:Any others here like me? I was told I was color blind at age 14 and I thought to myself the good ole doctor is stoned!! I can see colors just fine. And I can, but when its mixed in with other ones then thats the problem.(red & green!) :shock: Still no problem i thought, it will never be an issue. Then I decided to be an auto tech, when it comes to wiring I have to be VERY careful when a colour has a certain color tracer on it, but I manage to cope. What really bothers me is now that I have took up hunting I cannot find a spec of blood spilled on the forest floor to save my life. I have to rely on a buddy to come out to help. If hes not able to come out then I try my best to follow the travel route of the deer, looking for ALOT of blood (if its wet and the ground is dry, and theres alot of it, I can spot it) but mostly a hope for a deer that has fallen nearby. I hear the blood tracker lights are crap, Mostly im hoping to hear from someone who has the same problem to see what works for them. Or does anyone have any info on how to teach a dog to track?

For "Poops and giggles" I have included a link for anyone to test if they are color blind, I cant see any of the shapes they list there :mrgreen:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=ca
passed that one but i'm not seeing any blood in the bush this year can't figure out what my problem is :D
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

It sounds like she was a fast learner! I have a great dane with an excellent sniffer. Now I know most dont consider a great dane as a good hunting dog, and I didnt buy him for that purpose,(bought him for shop security) but I have been told that they were bred in Germany for hunting. So Im going to give him a try. Hopefully hes as bright as your dog is, VMaster.

This is interesting: I have read that the best blood tracking dog is the weiner dog! :lol:
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Can't help you with the blood light but I did do the test and was able to see all the shapes without any trouble. Neat little test.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Im waiting for a cheap and functional heat sensing camera to come on the market
FJB

Post by FJB »

Well One Shot im exactly the same as you. I have been told that i am red green deficient. I have struggled for years even trying a red tinted glass lens on one eye to try to make it better. I have learned to track by sign and sometimes even resorting to dabbing a piece of tissue on what i thought was blood. Now i make sure of my shots if i am alone. All of my kids and my father are colour normal and have helped when i could not recover a deer by myself. We have to adapt. Although i struggle with the colour my distance vision is far superior to the others in my family. Possibly a compensation factor??
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

You are not alone...I'm colorblind as well. As for blood tracking, it's a matter of getting on hands and knees and looking for a big splotch of blood. I like when my quarry drops in site. I've hunted many years with a 7mm Rem magnum and have never had a deer that did not drop within site, lucky I guess. So far same results with a crossbow, that is for the animals I actually hit. lol :D :D Good post and I failed the last few tests. :( :(
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Good news is that I am just a phone call away from a trackng job.
Better news is that your not the guy with the wire snips on the bomb squad!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

one shot scott wrote:does anyone have any info on how to teach a dog to track?
There's movement afoot in Ontario to clarify the regs for the purpose of permitting the use of tracking dogs to recover shot deer. This of course is for those parts Ontario where dogs are currently not permitted to be used in deer hunting.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

get a cheap spray bottle and use a food color you can see like blue in peroxide....use it on a finer mist and spray where the deer was and went after the shot and it will foam up blue or what color you use you can see or just plain peroxide will foam up white :wink: ....a game warden friend used green in his peroxide when he went to investigate an illegal deer shooting....when he went to the guys house and seen blood and asked the guy bout the blood he said it was his dogs blood....my buddy said ok if it is it will turn blue when i spray it with this lastest tech we use to determing what kinda of blood we are dealing with :lol: ....he if it turns green it is deer blood :twisted: sure enough the guy turned white as a ghost when it turned green :lol: ....yeah he appoligized for lieing in the first place bout the blood :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I have the same problem, can't see the blood trail to clearly but didn't realy figure it was due to being blind.

Did that test, can't see anything past the first card.

I remember when I was learning to drive, If I was out at nightI could not tell the differance between a green traffic light and the street lights ( from far back If you can't see the poles). :D Really mest me up, the instructor would wounder why I would ease of the gas approching a green light. Now I know where to look
reather than for the color. :D

As for hunting I have been lucky only had to track one the other two droped within sight.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:D The first card is a gimmie, everyone can see that one :lol: It sounds like you are as bad as I am hikerman!
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions. A forum member even gave me his phone # to offer help. Thanks Jerry!
I often wondered what others with the same problem do.
9pointer: I think I am one of those areas that do not allow for tracking dogs but lets hope that changes. In the meantime Im not going to let that stop me from having one, I think its more ethical to have one than to lose game because of the law. They can come find me and fine me 8)Im in the great big township of Glanbrook!
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have been told that when blood is hard to find you can take hydrogen peroxide and put it in a spray bottle and spray the leaves and if there is blood present it will foam like it does on a cut. I have never tried it but it makes sense to me. If you try it let me know how it works.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
deer nut

Post by deer nut »

I am color blind to. I have to rely on hunting buddy to help me track deer.