Are you serious?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mchurch

Are you serious?

Post by mchurch »

I contacted Wilderness Unlimited about possibly joining their club. The man told me how they have ranches all over the state full of pigs and deer. Up until this point I have used a guide at 650 per day for wild boar. He told me that some ranches are archery only and some of the other ranches are for firearms. I asked him about using my crossbow at the archery only properties. He said that crossbows ar NOt AllOWED on the archery only properties because they have had to many animals wounded and not recovered. He then said that it was OK for me to use my crossbow at the firearm property. So..it's ok to wound animals at the gun property but not the archery property. What's up with that?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
vixenmaster

Re: Are you serious?

Post by vixenmaster »

Too many animals wounded on the archery only propertys, my my you have to wonder what did that since no CB's are allowed! The guy is an Idiot! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

650.00 a day for pigs :shock: are you serious :roll: :? ....i can go to tenn for pigs for 650.00 a week including lodging 8) ....as to the archery club jerks that wounded and lost all those animals, tell them that WON'T happen with your crossbow :lol: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like you need to keep looking for a place to hunt hogs.
I woundn't want to join that club with silly rules like that and a dumb a$$ runnin' the place. :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

A sterotype we need to change. It seems like anyone who just does not like a crossbow will throw that line out there to justify their stance. Its all B.S
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
t-bilt

Post by t-bilt »

Hmm, IMO I'd say that the reason for not allowing Xbows on archery land is a lot of folks still think of Xbows as Deadly Rifle like instruments of mass destruction. When in reality they are horizontal bows with the same range of lethality of a vertical bow. I will admit that the Xbow has the advantage of being cocked and ready with the arrow being held in battery until released by the trigger. Oh, and I like my Vari-zone scope too. :wink:

The reason I say this is because he will let you use the Xbow on the gun land but not archery. It sounds to me he has a hidden agenda and really feels like the Xbow would give you an unfair advantage over typical VB hunter. Leasing property is beyond my means. But, hey if you can handle it why not go for it. Who knows, maybe you will be able to educate another group of hunters that the Xbow is a great addition to Archery and not the laser killing machines they think they are. Just my 2.5 cents worth...
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

The dude told me that crossbows were allowed in the past and that is what they are basing their decision on. I can only imagine that those dorks were shooting Barnettes or some other piece of crap brand that doesn't have anywhere near the knock down power or precision that my Excal Equinox has.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
t-bilt

Post by t-bilt »

Yeah- probably true about folks using crappy equipment. But we all know that all it takes is a hit in the boiler room with a good sharp broadhead to efficiently take game. It can be done with a 45 pound longbow. I really think this guy is running a hidden agenda here. Otherwise, why allow a crossbow on the Gun hunting land? sounds like he is throwing out a smoke screen to me.

Folks will continue to come around as the myths around Xbows are shot down. Until then we will continue to be villains in the small minds of those that base their beliefs off of myths...Kind of why America is in the state it is in. Know one wants to take the time to educate themselves they'd rather go through life as sheep. Soap box removed...rant over :D
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Simple minds need lots of rules. :roll: Gary
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

This is just someones personal opinion of crossbows. I'm dealing with the same thing right now at the Gun and Archery club I belong to, It's a very up scale club, mainly comp pistol and trap shooters. The Archery "chairmen" is a longbow and recurve shooter and has been in archery all of about 5 yrs. They make the crossbow shooters walk about 300yrd to this ratty 1 bale meg shift range in the woods. The normal archery range is 20 yards from the parking lot and well kept with Big Shot targets from 15yrd to 50 yrds. I have gathered ALL the facts on arrow weight with FPS compaired to some of the vertical bows on the market. Energy is energy no matter what propells it. So guess I will se what hapens at the next monthly meeting.

It's education and clearly when it comes to crossbows mostly everyone is UNEDUCATED!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The guy may have his position from being pressured from the compound guys, being a business, a very expensive one at that, he will have to go the route that gets him the most clients.
Sucks, but the reality is that the majority of compound users have a negative view on crossbows.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

bstout wrote:anti-hunting archers are the epitome of the absolute worst kind of hunter out there, regardless of how proud they may be of themselves.
When launching an arrow at game a crossbow is "cheating" somehow, but a compound with 90% let-off, high tech sights, peep sight, and mechanical release is not! :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use the bow that gives me the best chance of putting the broadhead exactly where it should go. When I was younger and had no physical problems to deal with the longbow was my choice for still hunting. I could stick an arrow in a baseball sized target out to 40-60 yards on a good day without even needing to think about the distance, my eyes/mind calculated that for me (I always shot "instinctively"). As physical problems developed I had to change my hunting methods from still hunting to a stand or blind, and from the longbow to a crossbow. My effective range has decreased with the crossbow, but I can still put the broadhead where it should go (if all else goes right - no unnoticed tree limbs or sight failures), and it's the razor sharp broadhead that does the killing - not the type bow that launched the arrow!
I get tired of hearing that I'm not as good as those anti-hunters Bob speaks of. The crossbow doesn't silence my step, or make me invisible. I still have to hunt just as hard (or even harder sometimes) to get in range to be assured of making a good shot as far as arrow placement goes.
wabi
redeye

Post by redeye »

A lot of the wounded animals are because of long shots and not waiting for a good angle.I limit my shots to 40 yards and under.Animals cam move too far to place a good shot beyond that distance with any bow,compound or croossbow.Better to pass on a risky shot than wounding an animal.