Shooting from elevated stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Toby10

Shooting from elevated stands

Post by Toby10 »

Hey all,

Just wondering how much your yardage is affected if any at all, while shooting from your treestand? I'm sitting about 20' up.

I'm just not sure where to range from, the base of the tree or my stand?

As I stated earlier, I'm new to this huntin' stuff.

Thanks for any help,

Brian
Galgo

Re: Shooting from elevated stands

Post by Galgo »

Negligible at bow hunting heights and distances. Just picture where the vitals are in realtion to your angle and elevation and hold there.

F
wabi

Post by wabi »

Galgo wrote:Negligible at bow hunting heights and distances. Just picture where the vitals are in realtion to your angle and elevation and hold there.

F
I agree.
If you're 20' up and reading the yardage to a deer with a rangefinder at 30 yards the horizontal distance is actually 29.24 yards. I'm not going to worry about .76 yards error in range estimation.
What I try to do is what Galgo recommended, try to picture the deer in 3-D in your mind and don't shoot at a spot on the side you're looking at - shoot at the vitals! Your arrow will hit a little high, which is often good, because the aiming point on the deer's side should be higher than from on the ground in most cases.
wabi
Tom

Post by Tom »

Toby10 wrote:Hey all,

I'm just not sure where to range from, the base of the tree or my stand?
Brian

The general rule is that if you range from the base of the tree and not from your seat, you will not have to worry about any differences in your POI. As bstout stated, a horizontal arrow will have more gravity pull then an arrow shot on an angle up or down. This sill cause your POI to be a little more higher then flat ground shooting. Since, if your range was from the base of the tree (the shorter distance) the longer distance of the shot will compensate it enough to make little change in impact in the POI.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

The best way to find how your bow shoots from a certain height is to practice from the height you hunt. This way, you don't have to guess where you're arrow will hit. With practice, you'll know!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4