9pt down(nothing huge)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: 9pt down(nothing huge)

Post by Doe Master »

:) He would have been big enough to ride home in the back of my truck . :)
Congratulations !!!!
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
catcher

Post by catcher »

Very nice deer CF :D looks like you put a good hit on him. Now go get the big boy.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

He's a very nice buck for sure! Congrats.

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS

Post by crazyfarmer »

catcher wrote:Very nice deer CF :D looks like you put a good hit on him. Now go get the big boy.

went in high behind the shoulder and came out right behind the heart. He was close. Amazing how they go from all out alert to basically letting you drink a cup of coffee and pop some popcorn. Lady love is on their minds now
Rich

Post by Rich »

CONGRATS!!! A great VA deer CF, it's been a slow start in VA this year but things are starting to heat up. Deer sightings are starting to pick up and the young bucks are starting to chase. Next weekend is a whole new ballgame with the opening of black powder, as usual all the deer that stayed out of bow range all season will now show up at 15 yards when you have the smoke pole.

Rich
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

He is a beauty, great buck ,love the antler color is that common in your area?
Congratulations :!: :!: :!:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

gerald strine wrote:He is a beauty, great buck ,love the antler color is that common in your area?
Congratulations :!: :!: :!:

for the most part early in the season they are usually golden brown. They vary though. Some are dark grey, golden brown, and even white.

Rich, my problem is I havent seen anything bigger yet. The big deer just arent showing. Saw a decent buck in the field today on the way home from Richmond in the flats. He was a shooter and right behind a doe. My concern is the temps this week.. Smokepole is ready though 8)
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Buetiful buck you got there crazy, would love to see one of those where im at nonetheless have one 7 yards from me.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Chuck Gravel wrote:Buetiful buck you got there crazy, would love to see one of those where im at nonetheless have one 7 yards from me.

Ill add the whole story right now since I have some time to type.

It started when I pulled up to the field. I could see a deer straight in front of my about 75 yards with the lights so I looked through the binos and it was a doe. Then I saw antlers walking up behind her and it was a buck I call high and tight(18inch 8, tall tines, unreal mass). They were directly between me and where I need to walk to get to my stand which is a good 1/2th mile away across the field and in the woods. I waited as long asI could and they finally walked off to the left. now its 6am and I'm walking. I spooked the doe and heard her running through the beans. This didnt bother me since its Early and not to mention I could hear the buck grunting across the field after her. Not paying me any attention. I thought this is great. These deer usually circle through the woods where Im going so I have a good chance at a buck I want and is in the area right now! I finally get in the stand at about 6:20. I hear footsteps coming as soon as I get my bow hung up and ready. Keep in mind, it doesnt get light in the woods untill about 7:10 here. The steps get closer and closer. I would guess about 30 yards out. They stop and then I hear another deer coming. Out comes a grunt. Is this the big boy? They are walking again and away from me so I try something. I wheeze.. its been working like gold for me the past week. Sure enough the steps stop. Then I hear them coming back towards me. This is unreal in pitch black darkness 15ft up LOL. The steps come up directly downwind at 15 yards and STOP. Its 6:35 now. DARK still. I cant do or see anything so I remain motionless. Whatever it is doesnt move for 20mins. Im thinking I will get busted any second. Then I hear something scratching leaves making a scrape about 10-15 yards out from the first set of steps I heard stop. Its a buck, but how big. Still dark and I'm rushing the sun to hurry up and brighten the woods. Finally its getting light. The first deer starts walking. Right under me to the right at 5 yards. Im thinking greatttttt!!!! Finally its light enough to see eyes and ears. Then the second deer starts walking, he grunts... 20 yards, 15 yards, 10 yards and he stops behind a tree. Its light enough I can see antlers. I slowly raise my binos and make out 5 pts on his right side. I used them to get a good look since its so much cover in the woods its hard to see with the eye. I raise the bow and he walks out in the wide open 5-7 yards to my right. Since im right handed this wasnt easy. I put the crosshairs on him which was easy since his whole body filled the scope. Whackkkkkkk... he hops off and im thinking I missed! I heard him run about 30 yards and stop. Finally I heard him crash. I got down then, cocked the bow and got back into my stand and play the waiting game. Even though I heard him fall, I still didnt want to rush it. Finally it was about 8pm and waiting was over. I got down and found the arrow. Perfect pass through, well it should at 7 yards LOL. Blood everywhere out both sides. I could just walk and see blood 10-15 yards ahead the whole time. Sure enough, he only made it 30-40 yards and dropped. Im still very proud of this deer with a bow, and also so close to the stand. The ice is broken, so bring on his grandpa now;)
xbowholic

Post by xbowholic »

Nothing wrong with that buck!! congrats CF; you have a fine looking young man there; teach him the ways of the woods; thanks for sharing
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice looking deer you got.
Way to go!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

WHOA!!! :shock: Nice one! CONGRATS!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Nice buck in my book good job. I have been hunting one about like that deer. I saw him one morning and thats it. Lots of pics at night.
roly

Post by roly »

Congratulations CF!

Nothing wrong with that feller

Must be tough huntin there, you got to fight them off to get to your stand.
frisky

Post by frisky »

Very nice deer. There are larger ones? Congrats again. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting