Rust on the Excal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mr. Dynamite

Rust on the Excal

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

It was a beautiful morning on Saturday, but a combination of me getting out late, the corn having been taken up and the other guy already hunting where I was going to go kept me from seeking the big 10 that roams this second farm I hunt. Oh well, ya snooze ya loose. Went to some smaller bushes with corn still standing, though, and saw some nice rubs and scrapes. Unfortunately, as I was coming up to the woods I heard the deer coming through it towards me. One ended up spotting me, and what sounded like a whole herd took off for the corn on the other side. :| Well, since there were no deer to be seen I went through the whole thing and liked the sign I saw. Took a pot shot at a squirrel that had been uninterested in my approach, and it was funny to see his reaction. The arrow flew low, and hit the ground about a foot away from him (lets hope I don't to that when it is a deer!) and he jumped up into the tree wondering what happened. Also saw a coyote and a big owl that a whole flock of crows began to attack as soon as he flew above the treetops. They came from all around to join in the ruckus.

nice scrape in the woods.

It sure was a beautiful morning!

Went back to my dad's house to shoot some target, and noticed that as a result of my earlier expeditions in the rain and mist some of the bolts have started to rust.

It is just surface rust and not a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone has had this happen before. What did you put on it?

I had to think of my old college buddy from way back in the woods of Wisconsin. I am sure he would tell me to put bear grease on it as he did with most everything of his!
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
Dereck

Re: Rust on the Excal

Post by Dereck »

Just the surface but I would clean them up and grease them or as others have paint them with black paint.
Tenpoint Matrix
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Great pictures.

As for the rust . . .it's time for a new Excalibur . . .send me the old one. :lol:

Or, you can clean it off and dab a little oil on them. Some have replaced the screws with stainless steel.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

sumner4991 wrote:Great pictures. As for the rust . . .it's time for a new Excalibur . . .send me the old one. :lol:
WHOOHOO Do we get to flip a coin for another one sumner? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bones

Post by Bones »

Not a big deal, clean and oil them upright away. I have a few scope ring screws that have become more permanate do to my neglect. My bow lives a tough life on the front of my atv.

Bones
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i really wish gun and bow manufacturers would get with the times and use rust proofing on screws. it cant add that much to the final price. even stainless will rust but its better than nothing. some people use bow wax smeared on the screws but i hate any maintanence. i usually send screws out for teflon coating.even the dura coating they put on exterior and deck screws would be great.just one less thing to worry about when you come in from a wet situation.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

A black paint marker from princess auto makes for a beautiful, rustfree screw.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Excal has not rectified this problem?????
I come by my name honestly.
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

fastenal carries all the hardware you need to switch everything out for stainless. i believe it ends up costing a little less than 20 bucks.
Team Dryfire
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'm thinking the same. An Excal upgrade to all Stainless steel hardware and an Stainless steel trigger assembly would be awesome. The most bulletproof crossbow on the market becoming the ultimate all weather rig!

Mr. Troubridge, please consider..........
In the Wind.......
Bones

Post by Bones »

See4miles wrote:I'm thinking the same. An Excal upgrade to all Stainless steel hardware and an Stainless steel trigger assembly would be awesome. The most bulletproof crossbow on the market becoming the ultimate all weather rig!

I fully agree!! Short of a string it would be bullet proof. I love my excal but that would be the iceing on the cake. 200 pound ?

Bones
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

See4miles wrote:I'm thinking the same. An Excal upgrade to all Stainless steel hardware and an Stainless steel trigger assembly would be awesome. The most bulletproof crossbow on the market becoming the ultimate all weather rig!

A rubberized grip would be a nice addition too.

To the rust, I just us my gun oil (G-96) on a Q-tip, dab it on and the rust dissapears.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
munch

Post by munch »

i have heard that stainless will react to alum. worst that cheaper steel bolts not sure how true that is but i think we have some tool and die makers and machinists here that may have some ideas on that.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Yes, actually it will, but the aluminum on Excal's aluminum's parts are anodized I believe, and that should prevent any reactions. Also, zinc-coated steel screws would work fine too.
In the Wind.......
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

See4miles wrote:Yes, actually it will, but the aluminum on Excal's aluminum's parts are anodized I believe, and that should prevent any reactions. Also, zinc-coated steel screws would work fine too.
If the holes are drilled and tapped after anodizing then there may still be an issue with the two metals reacting. Also I believe that stainless steel screws have less tensile strength (weaker) which could lead to the screw possibly stretching if used in high stress areas like the limb bolts and possibly riser bolts. Something to check out before making the switch to stainless.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads