Hold onto your hat!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Re: Hold onto your hat!!!

Post by wabi »

Might have to skip the tree stand and just set in the ground blind and watch the scenery whiz by. :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

same here... but 20mph winds though. I passed on today with the wind and 80 degree temps its not a good combo. Now if it was Nov 4-7th I would be out though :lol:
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

These windy days are the best times to try a different hunting style (stalking) provided you have enough bush to go through. I did this at my cottage and was able to sneak up to a doe with her fawns at about 30 yards. Few steps stop and glaze few more same thing till you see somthing then the hunt begins.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
weezy

Post by weezy »

When its windy it looks like every leaf blowing is a deer's tail flicker through the woods and it drives me nuts :lol:
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

It's been howling 25-35 here all day. Must be headed up your way, will be glad when it gets up there! :P I've had all I need for right now, ruint a perfectly planned fishing trip today because of it!

Srsly, be careful out there in this stuff. Not only does your tree sway back and forth (very fun even if you're not afraid of heights!). Plus another danger is dead or weak limbs in large trees.

One year, a buddy and I took our boat and went back deep and camped in some public hunting. Wind was howling all night long and we must have heard a dozen or more trees fall that night as we camped on the river bank! One toppled over about 75 yards away! Needless to say, we didn't sleep well that night!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

The wind and high temps have kept me in for days now. It's 5am and the squall line is just about to come through here...then high winds for another 24 hrs. Two kids were playing flashlight tag in a Chicago Forest Preserve a few days ago when a 2 ton limb fell on them. Killed one outright and the other is in hospital. Be careful in the windy woods...widow makers are lurking in the trees. Gary
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I have been in NW Oklahoma for muzzleloader season this past weekend, and the wind was gusting to 40 mph out of the south. Needless to say, combined with a full moon, hunting was terrible, but I still managed to kill a doe with my ML and a buck with my truck. :roll:
t-bilt

Post by t-bilt »

The wind has been screaming here in TN for the past three day with burst of heavy rain. Today we are expected to get the weather out of Texas that spawned the tornado there yesterday. I wonder what took it so long seems like 40 mph winds would have gotten it here quicker. LOL

I was up in a huge white oak on Sunday (Summit Climber barely fit around it) and it felt like I was on a toothpick with a bulldozer trying to push it over. Coming in that evening after dark and in my subdivision there were five Does bedded in an open field twenty yards off the road! I keep asking myself if the rule to not take them out of the back yard is a good one! LOL

Anyway... I think I'm going to sit this one out... I do agree that a slow spot and stalk hunt would be the way to go. But I would still be on the look out for dead tree limbs that could blow out. Just remember a four inch branch from an oak is plenty to send you to the happy hunting ground above, or at the least scramble your noodles enough to take the fun out of life for you and your loved ones.
Take Care! :)
OMC-MOOSE

Post by OMC-MOOSE »

Tornado Watch in effect until 9 PM here in western PA :shock:
NRA Life Member
The Second Amendment protects the rest!

Excalibur Ibex
lscha

Post by lscha »

This may be a good time to go to the woods and shop for Pop-up Blinds. :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Post by wabi »

What a difference a couple weeks can make!

Camping Oct 9 -
oct9.JPG
Same spot this morning after the storm -
oct27.JPG
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We have 90KPH gusts here today, excellent time to be 20' up a skinny tree!
Actually, it is a great day to test arrows. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

wabi wrote:Might have to skip the tree stand and just set in the ground blind and watch the scenery whiz by. :lol:
Speaking of Whiz By: My dad taught to put the wind at my back when Whizzen.. :lol: :lol:
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I recorded 69.7 mph wind here in Southern IL Worst storm in 70 years.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
CDN Taxman

Post by CDN Taxman »

I was out tonight in my treestand and it wasn't too bad in the Kitchener area but there were occasional gusts that really took me for a ride!

Mike
2008 Excalibur Equinox
Groundpounder Mount
NGSS