Mississippi Squirrel Revival

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Mississippi Squirrel Revival

Post by theoldarcher »

The morning was perfect, light breeze, sunny skies, and a hint of crispness in the air. As I sat and anticipated on how the morning was going to turn out I couldn’t have had a clue that it was going to end like it did. About 8:30 a small doe walked out of the edge of the woods and was feeding slowly toward the oak flat where I was sitting behind my burlap blind. Sitting as still as I could make myself, I had my back against the tree with my head straight ahead watching her out of the corner of my eyes. Every step she took brought her closer to my blind and the waiting Vixen ready to take the shot. That was about as close to how the hunt should have went as it got.

Suddenly, without any warning I felt something hit the top of my head. Then this crazed Squirrel leapt from the top of my head to the ground in my burlap blind. Needless to say by this time I had came unglued startled by the squirrel. To make matters worse the squirrel became trapped behind my blind and leapt back onto my chest trying his best to find a way out.

By the time I had stopped screaming and managed to get the squirrel off me, the squirrel found a hole and was squiring away as quickly as his short little legs would take him. The doe was long gone by the time I remembered her. It took me a few minuets between the cursing and the laughter to get my mind back to where it should be, but by that time every deer in our county knew where I was hiding. Defiantly a hunt that will be remembered for my old age.
OkXbowHunter

Re: Mississippi Squirrel Revival

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Now that was a funny story!

A few weeks ago one morning, I was sitting in my ladder stand, half asleep, had the Axiom resting on the shooting rail when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Before I could fully turn my head and see what it was, a Redtail Hawk had swooped in and was going to land on the limbs of my Axiom! It hovered momentarily over my Axiom limbs as I instinctively threw up my arms in an effort to protect myself/scare it away. It then landed in a tree about 5 yards away, studied me a moment and then took off, leaving me making a few choice comments about its lineage! :shock:

Surely in your case, you were acting like a nut! (badda bing) :roll: :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Gotta love sitting in the bush alone so no one can see you come "UNGLUED" when some creature startles you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Been there dun that got the t shirt
Tenpoint Matrix
M&M

Post by M&M »

thanks for sharing your squirrel story I really needed a good laugh this morning, thanks, and may you be blessed with good hunting this season.
M&M
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's hilarious!!
Sounds like something out of a comedy movie!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:lol: Thats good stuff. :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've had several moments where I thought they were going to hop on me, but, at the last minute they discovered I was there. I figured they could be tricked . . .you are good. Either that or the doe paid the squirrel. :?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

great story, I always have these two mice that go across my boots and up and down the tree that i have my stand in. didnt know mice could climb 16 foot up a tree and then some. watching squirrels is one of the most intresting and fascinating things i've seen and it usually gets me busted by does since im looking all around to see where the squirrel is going
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

:lol: :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I thought I had a strange time when a opossum needed to get into my pack. But the squirril episode takes the cake!
Crispy
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Now that sounds like a real Kodak moment. I would probably had to change my shorts after a close encounter like that. :lol:
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Just think, if squirrels were aggressive we wouldn't even be able to hunt deer! I was in my stand one morning and had just nodded off. All of a sudden something hit me in the head and nearly knocked off my camo baseball hat. I snapped awake and looked to my right just in time to see a Sharp-shinned Hawk getting ready for a second attack. I waved him off and he flew away. I was in full camo with face mask but had a little orange and white emblem on my hat that the hawk probably thought was a small bird...the Sharp-shinned's normal food. Does Cabela's sell kevlar clothes yet? :) Gary
tat4life

Post by tat4life »

OMG,thats classic...lmao,the visual was hilarious....funny story 8)
2010 Equinox,Lumizone,munch mount,munch custom arrows,munch string..Rage 2blade
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

:lol: :lol: Now thats a funny story,,, I could only imagine ! Thanks for sharing that one :lol:
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife