Carbon arrows left a bad taste.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Re: Carbon arrows left a bad taste.

Post by crazyfarmer »

lock tite is for the threads on the bhead or fieldtip to keep it from coming loose. You cant out that on the insert and glue it into the shaft. It wont work. Its for threads not the insert. Unless im reading this wrong?

as for the inserts coming out it just depends on the glue and the target you shoot into. Some of the cheap targets eat inserts since its like pulling a sword out of a rock! They are cheap for a reason :lol: But it could be lack of glue also. No matter what arrow type you use, inserts will pull out. I use goat tuff which seems to work best. Ive personally never had a insert pull out on any of the arrows ive made for myself. Some probably have over 1000 shots on them. Ive only had one arrow break and that was since it got lodged in the front shoulder.

if you hit anything hard like plywood chances are it will break the arrow. If its aluminum it will bend it so its useless also.

Im really not sure if you have a bad batch or whats the deal but its no reason the carbon ones wont hit nickle size spots also. If they are all over the place its something wrong with the bow, the scope, the shooter, the inserts are in wrong, or something. I use gold tip laser 2's also.

i know you said you are on your 2nd batch and having the same troubles but the odds of you getting to bad batches would be unlikely. Try the gold tips and dont shoot at the sam spot twice :lol:
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Can't get my head around the "loop"
Do you me it spiraled into the target?
Tenpoint Matrix
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Dereck wrote:Can't get my head around the "loop"
Do you me it spiraled into the target?
Yes a spiral whatever you want to call it, take your finger hold it in fornt of you pointing forward and as your moving ahead do a circle and that was how the two arrows went.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

The loop is something Ive never heard of. You didnt answer what b/head your using but your FOC has to be way, way out. I cant think of any other reason. The alums would cure your foc problem and thats why they are working so well. I dont think the problem is the illuminated nock since one arrow looped without a luminok installed.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have experienced that loop before. About anything on the arrow or the arrow itself could cause it. Just be glad it's gone.

Mine was caused by the fletching hitting the excess plastic material in the riser. After I trimmed that, I have no longer experienced it. Seems like it only happened with the high profile vanes and it did not happen every shot.

It could be a number of things . . .anything on the arrow, the arrow itself.

If you are good with the other arrows, then be done with it. However, it could show it at any moment . . . :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

sumner4991 wrote:I have experienced that loop before. About anything on the arrow or the arrow itself could cause it. Just be glad it's gone.

Mine was caused by the fletching hitting the excess plastic material in the riser. After I trimmed that, I have no longer experienced it. Seems like it only happened with the high profile vanes and it did not happen every shot.

It could be a number of things . . .anything on the arrow, the arrow itself.

If you are good with the other arrows, then be done with it. However, it could show it at any moment . . . :shock:
I think you nailed it for the arrow loop, just checked what you were talking about with the excess plastic material, and on one side it had this in which the vane could catch. Thank you for pointing this out I have never noticed this before and this could be the reason I missed on a good buck two years ago when he was dead set on the crosshairs at 20 yards and the arrow went just under him. I am still displeased with the way the ends loosen up so easily and will stay with the aluminum arrows as I have never in the past had a problem with them. Again thank you and all who have replied for your cooperation into solving my problems. I rarely shoot past thirty yards on a deer so I don’t think carbon vs. aluminum will make much of a difference.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I shoot 2215 aluminum arrows and they are very close in weight/balance (FOC) to Firebolts with aluminum inserts. I've shot both at the same target session and both performed basically the same.

I actually sold the new Firebolts to a hunting buddy last week. He likes carbons, and he dropped his Phoenix from his stand when the pull-up rope broke. :roll: The Phoenix hit on the stirrup and no damage to the bow (it was still right on target when he checked it), but 2 of the GoldTip carbon arrows broke when it hit the ground. Since I was still using the 2215s I told him he could have the Firebolts.

I've had the spiraling arrow flight a few times, but it has always been a vane coming loose. I trimmed the plastic spacers when my bow was new. :wink:
wabi
ch312

Post by ch312 »

hmmmm...4 out of 6 of my firebolts have loose inserts. i thought i had a bad batch, but i guess i was wrong.

its pathetic that a company as large as easton is skimping on the glue. i figure these arrows are about $10 each in ontario after taxes. you'd think they could afford an extra few cents per 6 arrows to glue them properly.

maybe they're counting on more people simply buying replacements after the inserts come out? all the big guys care about is $$$$ :roll: