Carbon arrows left a bad taste.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrophyBuck

Carbon arrows left a bad taste.

Post by TrophyBuck »

OK I am officially done with them and will never use them again. In the two boxes that I bought, last year and this year I have had nothing but problems.
Both ends come out so easily. Two weeks ago I was practicing on my doe decoy and the arrow exploded after hitting the plywood background :evil: . I thought it was just a bad shot but after reviewing the videotape it showed that it did a complete loop. Maybe the lighted nock had something to do with it?
Today I brought my new box of aluminum arrows and practiced with both the carbons and aluminum. I have slick trick 125g magnum and testing out with 125g field points. First round of bolts aluminum were all within the kill zone. Second round carbon, 1st arrow in the kill zone, second high,third .....For Pete’s sake it did it again the loop, and this time I saw it threw the scope. Upon retrieving my arrows the first shot penetrated all the way through but there was no friggin slick trick or the insert on the arrow. I looked around and finally found it the Brodhead was still attached to the insert firmly and no damage.
I know you can glue the inserts back in, but should I have too on new arrows? I have never had to do this with the aluminum arrows and will probably never need too.
O ya and the last loop was just a regular carbon arrow without the lighted nock.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
simplykaotic

Re: Carbon arrows left a bad taste.

Post by simplykaotic »

I had the same problem. After I increased the value of my Rinehart 18-1 by leaving a broadhead into it, I decided that this will never happened again. So I pulled apart every loose insert and re-glued them. On a dozen arrows it more than 3/4 arrows needed both sides done! (did both knocks because the arrow puller when used on my other target was pulling the back end inserts out)

It would be great if something could be done about them, at least for new batches. And as for old batches...maybe a free small glue tube or something....
simplykaotic

Post by simplykaotic »

oh, and to add more, when I pulled the inserts out, I was a lil surprised at how little glue was used by the factory... the inserts have 3 to 4 grooves on them, and on average, only 1 had glue in it and it did not even go all the way around!
munch

Post by munch »

what kind of arrows where they .maybe the inside was not prepped before the inserts went in.
i have never made my own laser 11 arrows but know lots i have bought had the inserts fall out or stay stuck in the bag.i started making my own arrows this year using easton power bolts and have not had one fall out yet. i sand the inside then clean with a qtip and rubbing alcohol before i glue them in
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

Yes I noticed the same thing, I was told by an employee at Gagnon's to grab a bottle of the blue lock-tight and use that as it will give you the best hold. Wal-Mart carries it.
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

munch wrote:what kind of arrows where they .maybe the inside was not prepped before the inserts went in.
i have never made my own laser 11 arrows but know lots i have bought had the inserts fall out or stay stuck in the bag.i started making my own arrows this year using easton power bolts and have not had one fall out yet. i sand the inside then clean with a qtip and rubbing alcohol before i glue them in
They were the Easton Firebolts
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Use gorilla glue to put them in, they wont come out even if you want them to. What do you mean by "the arrow did a loop". Is that after it went through the decoy and lost the insert/broadhead?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

TrophyBuck wrote:Yes I noticed the same thing, I was told by an employee at Gagnon's to grab a bottle of the blue lock-tight and use that as it will give you the best hold. Wal-Mart carries it.

Your really confusing me trophy buck :lol: :lol:
You didnt put loc-tite on the insert did you?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's one of the reasons I started making my own arrows. The inserts would come out of the store bought arrows.

I also use Gorilla Glue on the inserts . . .it never lets go.

Not sure what causiong the loop thing.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

No i did not put any locktight on them yet, and the loop was on the way to the target, i wish i could show the video to you but it is on a old camcorder and can't download the video.
secret

Post by secret »

Do your Easton bolts have brass inserts? If not....lighted nocks are heavier than inserts and causes the bolt to loop inflight. Do you have the right nocks?...half moon nocks loop also.[you need flat] sand paper rolled to the size of inside dia. of shaft and lightly spun really helps all glues stick better .
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Dont use the loc tite on the inserts, It wont hold. Gorilla glue and sumo glue are the same type of glue, they expand slightly to fill any voids and are super tough! Like I said, it wont come apart!! :wink: :lol: You may want to figure out your FOC problem before permantly gluing in the inserts though.

I have used the firebolts with the aluminum front inserts and a luminok and never experienced anything like you have here. what grain broadhead are you using, and what illuminated nock do you have?
Last edited by one shot scott on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I started using Steel Force glue on my inserts. After pulling some broadheads off when trying to get them out of my Block Xbow Target, I switched to Gorilla glue. While it's a lot better, I have had two broadheads come off while trying to pull them out.

I've come to the conclusion that when I'm using carbon and shooting broadheads into my BH target, from time to time I'm going to lose one or have to dig 'em out.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

secret wrote:Do your Easton bolts have brass inserts? If not....lighted nocks are heavier than inserts and causes the bolt to loop inflight. Do you have the right nocks?...half moon nocks loop also.[you need flat] sand paper rolled to the size of inside dia. of shaft and lightly spun really helps all glues stick better .
No they dont have the brass inserts, and yes I have the right nocks made sure of it flat back. Two arrows looped one with the lighted nock which blew apart and the other was strait out of the box and looped into the target. I have no problems with the aluminum arrows at all, they are actually hitting a nickle size piece of tape on target
secret

Post by secret »

I would send those shafts back to Easton...And demand a CASH refund.. if they want to send you more carbon ones request xx75 2117s cut them down...then install gt brass inserts= killer combo
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string