Saftey seems way to easy to move to the fire position

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tmberghst

Saftey seems way to easy to move to the fire position

Post by tmberghst »

For the last 2 seasons I have used a friends phoenix to hunt with,finally bought my own this summer.Incredible accuracy,and after I read and reread many of the post about arrow selection and broadhead preferences,I built my own shafts-GTs with brass inserts-100gr slicktricks-and 2''blazers.Thanks very much to the many people who offer there ideas and experiences on this forum,and tried to help me when I asked questions.It worked as this phoenix will cut a quarter sized orange dot at 40 yrds with a broadhead about every time off sandbags.Now my new question,the safety on my buddies cb and mine is so easy to push up that i put a heavy rubber band over the stock and across the top of the safety lever to keep it from moving to the fire position when walking thru the woods,going to a stand.Was worried about cb being accidentally fired.Any thoughts on this one or some kind of cure as it is way to easy to push up to fire position. THANKS GHOST
Dereck

Re: Saftey seems way to easy to move to the fire position

Post by Dereck »

Someone else does the elastic band as well but I forget who.
I just check it from time to time or carry it out front.
Tenpoint Matrix
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I've never worked on the inside of an Excalibur crossbow but I'd guess you either have a worn part or a broken part. That just doesn't sound like something that was made that way. Check with Dan at Horizontal Archery in Ohio. He's the warranty repair station and can give you advice on what to do to fix it. Gary
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Yes they are fairly loose, which is good because you don't want a click sound or anything when you want it off to shoot. I uncock mine most times when walking to and from my stand. When I do walk with it cocked I keep it infront of me and always watch where it is aimed. I have never had a problem. They certainly are not a toy and you have to keep your wits about you.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My safety is easy to push up too. However, I can shake it until I'm blue and it will not fall up or into the fire position. Even if I hold the bow upside down.

Regardless of how hard it is to push it up, you could snag a vine or something walking through the brush and accidentially move the safety latch.

I'm not a fan of having my bow cocked and on my back. If its cocked, then it's in my hands and pointed in a safe direction. I keep my thumb on the safety as I carry the bow. This gives me a faster reaction time and ensures that the safety is on while walking. No need for a rubberband unless you cock the bow before lifting it into your tree stand. Of the nearly four years on the forum, I don't recall one accidential discharge.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
WTB

Post by WTB »

Some else that was not mentioned, KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE TRIGGER until you are ready to shoot. The Excalibur stock makes this easy to do.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It could be mechanical. There is (supposed to be) a small ball bearing and spring that holds the safety in place. If your safety is so loose that it deactivates itself, it may be because these parts are missing or malfunctioning.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cossack wrote:It could be mechanical. There is (supposed to be) a small ball bearing and spring that holds the safety in place. If your safety is so loose that it deactivates itself, it may be because these parts are missing or malfunctioning.
If it were mechanical, then it probably would not stay up, right? You would have to hold it up to shoot?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I have always carried my bow cocked and loaded as i often hunt in and out of my stand area, both my bows will sometimes come off safety when carried on a sling the safties are not bad and are working the way they should i wish they where made with a lock on them but sinces they are not i always but a rubber band on them.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rufus wrote:both my bows will sometimes come off safety when carried on a sling
Too many things can happen with the bow cocked and on a sling. Especially if I fall. Do you sling it with the arrow pointing toward the ground? I could see myself being shot in the head or the foot. Not to mention what the limbs would do to me.

Scares me . . .that all.

Heck . . .I don't climb trees either . . .

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
tmberghst

Post by tmberghst »

Thanks for all the response guys,I never carry it on my back with a arrow,I do cock the bow before getting in my stand as I hunt most of the time in small hang on stands,very hard to cock bow on that small platform.It will not just slide up to fire but it is very easy to push,very little resistance.I also still hunt sometimes and it worries me that it is so easy to move.Crossbows are just as lethal and dangerous as high powered rifles,just seems that the safety would be similar to that of a rifle,and maybe not stick out so far,guess i will keep my rubberband on till the end of season and then try to make the safety a little safer.. Thanks Ghost
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

Mine is the same.
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've been using the rubber band trick since the first year I hunted with it - it gives me a little peace of mind. :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
hiking

Post by hiking »

I think there is a problem. Last year several times I found that my safty was off after lowering it from the tree. I was really mad at myself for being so carless.but this year after being double sure it's on, I sometimes find it off after lowering it. so far no accidents, but I am going to the rubber band for now.
Another thing. I have tryed shooting field tips into the ground from a tree stand to unload, and I can never find the arrows. I'm sure they are completly burying in the dirt. so therefor I lower the xbow and uncock it with the rope cocker on the ground.
exocet 200
Missin

Post by Missin »

Keep your fingers away from the trigger. Nothing safer then that. Im always more worried about a string suddenly letting go. :shock: