broadhead/bolt combo to stay away from..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

masboy

Re: broadhead/bolt combo to stay away from..

Post by masboy »

i shot firebolts when first got bow with boltcuters .spun arrows ,weighed,sorted,only shot ones that hit close to same place with field points.shot more than one three shot group with field points,boltcutters around 1 inch at 50 yds.but boltcutters did not hit same place as 150gr field points.3inches off.boltcutters super acurrate. same size groups as field points.now shoot 2114 super slams 110gr brass insert,2inch blazers 1oo,125 field points,4 degree hec.most acc.iv,e shot made 1 dozen up allwithin 1 gr. of each other made a dozen gt11 same comp. were up to 6gr off super slams all shot close to same spot till bag fell overbent two.all 100gr broadheads iv,e shot on superslams hit close to same as field points i think having arrows that all shoot the same place with the right foc.before shooting broadheads makes all the diff. if i just picked up a dozen arrows screwed on broadheads i would hate to see the group.ithink most broadheads will shoot good on the right arrow.just sort firebolts screw on boltcutters.super acc.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

strum wrote:i agree the slick trick looked the best ..would like to have seen a boltcutter and a thunderhead..and a lol heck would watch all he would shoot///
You did see a Boltcutter in action. Well actually you saw it's little brother; the Innerlock 100gr. Stainless Extreme. :wink:

If you didn't know it before, you do now. The Boltcutters are actually Innerlock Stainless Extreme Broadheads which weigh150gr. to meet Excaliburs specifications.

Here's a comparision:
http://www.innerloc.com/Pages/stainless-extreme.htm
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... broadheads

The Excalibur X-Act is Innerlock's EXP series' twin.
http://www.innerloc.com/Pages/exp.htm
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/catalo ... _broadhead
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
masboy

Post by masboy »

i,ve never shot a boltcutter on a super slam or ever athunderhead .iv,e shot 100 4 blade muzzys,tecan 3s,rages,montec g5 .i don,t know know what a lol heck is .is it something you could eat?
Bucky205

Post by Bucky205 »

One thing I have noticed is the more you shoot the same broadhead the worse they fly. Even the slightest bend in a blade from slamming a target can throw it a little. I have tried several and I am currently shooting the Muzzy 125 3 blade with a firebolt behind them. Brand new they will hold a 3 inch group at 50. The more I shoot them the looser that group will become.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bucky205 wrote:One thing I have noticed is the more you shoot the same broadhead the worse they fly. Even the slightest bend in a blade from slamming a target can throw it a little. I have tried several and I am currently shooting the Muzzy 125 3 blade with a firebolt behind them. Brand new they will hold a 3 inch group at 50. The more I shoot them the looser that group will become.

Yes, I have learned that lesson too. The faster the speed the more it shows too. If you don't sharpen the blades evenly, then that will show too.

The faster the projectile, the more precise it must be to reach it's intended destination.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:
The faster the projectile, the more precise it must be to reach it's intended destination.
Yes, speed and projectile flight stability (accuracy) are inversely proportional.

As one goes up, the other goes down!

Not exactly true . . .look at the high speed rifle loads, still extremely accurate. There are lots of examples of high speed projectiles that are accurate. You can achieve high speed and still have an accurate projectile. Just that your projectile has to be perfectly matched to the speed.

Sure, the slower the speed, the less areodynamic the projectile has to be, like throwing a rock vs using a sling shot to throw a rock. Crossbows are currently reaching speeds that outperform the designs of a fixed blade broadhead, IMO.

The faster your bow/arrow combination, the more likely you need to use a mechanical broadhead.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

sumner4991 wrote: Sure, the slower the speed, the less areodynamic the projectile has to be, like throwing a rock vs using a sling shot to throw a rock. Crossbows are currently reaching speeds that outperform the designs of a fixed blade broadhead, IMO.

The faster your bow/arrow combination, the more likely you need to use a mechanical broadhead.
i don't really see the need for speed past 300fps with a hunting arrow from a crossbow....300fps is a football field leght in bout 1.5 seconds after it slows down a bit maybe longer....my arrows are at 290/295fps now weighing 550gr with zero degree fletching from my 200# exocet that are blowing through deer, not just passing through....3 for 3 trigger pulls and all 3 died within 15 seconds through the ribs, all 3 a bit far back but got the rib area........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
WTB

Post by WTB »

Petersen wrote:I use firebolts with 150gr boltcutters. Great accuracy, but the inserts do not stay in. Beware when using Brodhead on target.
YUP!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bob1961 wrote:
sumner4991 wrote: Sure, the slower the speed, the less areodynamic the projectile has to be, like throwing a rock vs using a sling shot to throw a rock. Crossbows are currently reaching speeds that outperform the designs of a fixed blade broadhead, IMO.

i don't really see the need for speed past 300fps with a hunting arrow from a crossbow....300fps is a football field leght in bout 1.5 seconds after it slows down a bit maybe longer....my arrows are at 290/295fps now weighing 550gr with zero degree fletching from my 200# exocet that are blowing through deer, not just passing through....3 for 3 trigger pulls and all 3 died within 15 seconds through the ribs, all 3 a bit far back but got the rib area........bob

Bob . . .I would suppose the need for speed started as an issue of trajectory and having to estimate yardages. The faster the arrow, the less need to be accurate in your estimating distance. Now that we have range finders and we'll probably have scopes with the ability built in soon, then the need for speed deminishes a bit. Still, it will be argued for getting a cleaner kill at longer distances. Keeping string jump out of the equation.

The reason your arrow is blowing through the deer is the sheer weight of the arrows. You could shoot those much slower and still get a pass through. 3 for 3 is just a beginning. Not enough for a stats man to bet much on your next shot. Going 100 for 100 . . .that's something to hang your hat on and still not enough to bet the farm on shot 101.

I am in favor of having some speed limits. 300 FPS would be just fine.

By the way . . .1.5 seconds is enough time for a medium sized deer to travel 20+ yards. :shock:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

20 yds true, not saying i'm gonna even try at a 100....40 yds is my own set max yardage, but i can get it done at 50yds like i did on my 1st deer....but that shot was perfect in that the deer never was on alert at all, never knew i was even in the same county that day....wouldn't have taken that shot if it wasn't the way it was that day :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
KBW

Post by KBW »

Petersen wrote:I use firebolts with 150gr boltcutters. Great accuracy, but the inserts do not stay in. Beware when using Brodhead on target.
LAST WEEK 2 OUT OF 6
2010 EXCALIBUR VORTEX FLEMISH DYNA STRING RIGHT.STUFF,PACKAGE