broadhead/bolt combo to stay away from..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

broadhead/bolt combo to stay away from..

Post by strum »

Im sure im not the first to have this problem but thought i would post my findings..
I bought my exomax used and it came with GT 2's and The Boss by wasp 100gr BHs..
Killed 2 deer and a tree lol..with those..
I found that off my bench using a cauldwells lead sled that at 20 -30 yards i could drive tacks all day long..realy havent tried any further..
so today i was shooting my last good BH and killed it when shooting through my chrono and just jerked a bit and split some firewood in the background..
so since i have 5 good firebolts and some 100gr thunder heads i figured i would try that,
In a word they suck!!!!
Now dont get me wrong im not knocking the firebolts or even the T Heads,,but so far i cant get 1 arrow to shoot in the same place twice..I numbered em and spin tested em ..swiched bH around ..tried adding those little washers
and removeing those little washers..no good ..
so here is my finding..THAT COMBO IS NO GOOD!!!!
I sure said a lot to say nothing but at least its off my chest....times are tight here and i just dont have the cash to run out and buy a bunch of bolts and broadheads ..
ant suggestions on what BH should for sure work with the firebolts?..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
End of the road

Re: broadhead/bolt combo to stay away from..

Post by End of the road »

There will be a lot of opinions here for sure but when I bought my Exocet my dealer recommended 125 gr G5 Montecs. I use them on Firebolts and found that they shoot consistently just a bit lower and, for me at least, a wee bit to the left of my field points. The heavier head might work better than the 100 gr you have. Just got my first buck with the Montec a few days ago.

Just bought a couple 3 packs when I was down in Oregon about a week ago. Cost was about $36 per pack out the door.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

the TH are a big bladed BH that will plane a lot with short xbow arrows....you really need a high FOC with them or go with smaller bladed fixed BH........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I have an Exomax and i use firebolts with 150 grain magnus snuffer broadheads.
It works for me
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

I've used thunderhesd 100's for years with my vert bow, but could not hold a group with my vortex.
Crispy
strum

Post by strum »

Crispy wrote:I've used thunderhesd 100's for years with my vert bow, but could not hold a group with my vortex.
same here...i never even tried others because i knew i could depend on the t heads..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Missin

Post by Missin »

Heres my finidings:

1: Locally made 2 blade BH - All over the shop and absolute crap, were fine with other bows though.

2: NAP Thunderheads 125gn - When i got these it was a huge improvement but still couldnt get good groups

3: Rage 2 blade 125gn - I dont see what all the hype was about. Didnt really like them to start with. Couldnt say on groupings.

4: After going through these fourums and trying the rage BH's i got some slick tricks. These things are bloods awesome and i have finally found my arrow BH combo. I was also a little suss at how small they were but i guess its true, size doesnt matter. Had my first shot and kill with these the other day. They leave a massive hole.

So for anyone who cares the best combo i found was: 125gn Slick trick standards, Easton power bolts cut to 20", standard inserts and nocks (still waiting for flat nocks to arrive), 2inch blazer vanes.

Did i mention how happy i was that i found the slick tricks :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The Slick Tricks have as much cutting surface as about any broadhead out there. And they fly well.

I can tell you this, the more speed your arrow has, the harder it is to fly a fixed blade broadhead that has good cutting surface. This is because the blades will plane more at faster speeds.

Tis why I went to mechanical broadheads. Took a lot of trial and error.

Here are the broadheads I like best . . .the Slick Trick, the Spitfire and the Stricknine. It's all about accuracy, cutting surface and reliability.

Size matters.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

Thunderheads flew poorly in my x bow ...had great success with slick tricks 100s and muzzys 100s 4 blades fly almost as well but way cheaper
Missin

Post by Missin »

sumner4991 wrote: Size matters.

If shot placement is bad :P

The slick tricks look alot tougher then those mechanicals. Shot my rage and it hit something, blade bent and was buggered. I shot a goat with the slick trick, went through and hit a rock. Shattered the arrow and folded the tip of the slick trick over. Put the ST on the stone and it lives to see another day :D

And theres theres being able to sharpen blades aswell. Good luck with a mechanical.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

SPITFIRES!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I used Thunderhead 125 gr. with my carved tip Exocet from '97 until a couple years ago. They were dead on accurate with Easton alum. 2117's and also carbon Lazer 1's and I killed a dozen deer. I switched to the new limbs when an old one started splintering and also switched to heavier Lazer bolts. My accuracy with the Thunderheads went to hell. I just got some Slick Trick 125's mounted and tested them and I'm back in the game. Also bought a pack of Boltcutters but haven't tried them yet. Gary
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Missin wrote:
sumner4991 wrote: Size matters.

If shot placement is bad :P

The slick tricks look alot tougher then those mechanicals. Shot my rage and it hit something, blade bent and was buggered. I shot a goat with the slick trick, went through and hit a rock. Shattered the arrow and folded the tip of the slick trick over. Put the ST on the stone and it lives to see another day :D

And theres theres being able to sharpen blades aswell. Good luck with a mechanical.
Mechanicals are way more likely to hit their targets than a fixed blade Broadhead, basically they are field points. The Slick Tricks are more durable in the blades. However, a thicker blade does not cut meat better.

I hit something with my Slick Trick and had to throw it away . . .I don't see the logic there. The Stricknines have a replaceable tip . . .doesn't make it a better killer than the other two broadheads in the picture.

I have used all three of these broadheads and still use them. Nothing drops a deer faster than the Stricknines. All three are very good broadheads.

I'm headed out right now . . .there will be a Stricknine in my bow this morning. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Ottawa Valley Lad

Post by Ottawa Valley Lad »

Why doesn't anyone use the Excalibur 150 grain bolt cutters?

I use them on Easton firebolts and can often get good groupings with them.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've been reading these threads for years now, and it always seems no matter which broadhead is being discussed some member has had the opposite results.

I've come to realize there's a lot more involved than just the brand and/or weight of the broadhead being discussed! :wink:

Sometimes a very small or subtle change in the entire combination (bow-arrow-broadhead) can produce very noticeable results.

For example, when SlickTricks were first mentioned on the forum I had to try them. Everyone was getting results of the SlickTricks grouping right with field points. I tried them and got different results. :( Good groups, but NOT with field points. Had everyone lied? I didn't really think so. I put the slicks aside, but after a year or so I was still reading the great reviews and got to thinking about the possible differences that could exist. I finally tried some experimentation with the fletching on my arrows and found a cure to the accuracy problem. A simple change from a 4° helical to an 8° helical on the vanes made a huge change in accuracy results! The slicks were now grouping right with my field points, and shooting very tight groups, too.

Hard to believe such a small change could have such a dramatic impact on results, but it's something you must consider in ever case.

There is always a need for the ethical hunter to carefully test and evaluate the performance of any combination of components he or she chooses to hunt with.
Just because the broadhead has been efficient for every other member that has commented on it doesn't guarantee your results will be the same! If it's not accurate for you it could be something as simple as a slight variation in fletching, FOC, velocity (string type), or other minor detail.

If you're like me you'll probably just use a different broadhead that does perform to your expectations, but I look at (and respect - so please keep them coming!) these evaluations as a starting point for broadhead selection - not a guarantee of success or failure.

If 90% of the reports indicate success it might be a good selection to test it probably is, but if 90% of the reports say it's not too good it might be something to avoid spending too much time/money on trying to make it work. :shock:
On the other hand, If you inherited 50 broadheads for your late uncle's estate and are short on cash and can't afford to try every brand mentioned, it just might be time to experiment! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi