FOC ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shaftthrower

FOC ?

Post by shaftthrower »

Iam shooting 2117 with 110 brass 125gr. BH Allum. tip insert for nock 3- 4"feathers total arrow wgt. is 517 grs. Iam getting 13.7 % FOC ? Doesn't seem right to me. O.A.L. of arrow (with BH) is 22.125 balance point in alittle over 3" from center. 3 divided by 22.125 = 13.5% Just wondering how people get 18-20% using vanes? Is my formula correct? Thanks
OkXbowHunter

Re: FOC ?

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I'd love to see some reply's. I never knew exactly how to figure FOC, but looking at your data, I can figure it out now. It'll be interesting to see what the FOC is for my arrows.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Carutht

Post by Carutht »

From Easton website:

AMO-Standard F.O.C. balance formula

F.O.C. % = 100 x (A-L/2)
L

L= Correct Arrow Length-Distance from bottom of nock groove to end of shaft
A=Distance from bottom of nock groove to finished arrow balance position (includes weight of point [+ insert], nock system and fletching)
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Carutht wrote:From Easton website:

AMO-Standard F.O.C. balance formula

F.O.C. % = 100 x (A-L/2)
L

L= Correct Arrow Length-Distance from bottom of nock groove to end of shaft
A=Distance from bottom of nock groove to finished arrow balance position (includes weight of point [+ insert], nock system and fletching)
Come out about the same. Still don't see how some achieve 18-20% when most use vanes?
secret

Post by secret »

ImageImageImage Shaftthrower ,you might want to buy a Gold Tip insert tool and try 20gr add on weights[thats if your nocks are not glued] this way you can tune your set up as you shoot! Sometimes you can add "alot" of weight depending on the size of your vanes. the photos are Gold Tip brass inserts+add on 20gr weight.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Shaftthrower, Your insert for your nock weighs 25gr. cut them down to 5gr. or get a lighter nock this will help alot. You have 235gr up front and your feathers only weigh 8.4 gr......Unless you are using real heavy glue your FOC should be fine. Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
wabi

Post by wabi »

How do the arrows shoot?

Just my opinion, but it seems to me way too much emphasis is placed on FOC charts, formulas, and the need to buy expensive additions to "fix" arrows that are shooting well already. Not saying FOC doesn't matter, but I am saying far too much emphasis is placed on the need to "fix" what isn't broken.

I've killed a lot of deer with arrows that fall far below the recommendations made by those folks that make products to tune arrows (and profit from it). :shock:

If your arrows are accurate just say "FOC it" and go hunting! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

Thanks for all the imput. Arrows shot fine I was just surprised they were not higher FOC.
Missin

Post by Missin »

How does that forula work?

Arrow length, including BH = 21.5"
Nock to balance point = 13.5 "

F.O.C. % = 100 x (13.5-21.5/2)
= -400 :?

Im lost

Found this calculator and worked it out to 12.8%

http://archeryreport.com/calculators.html
Stosh