Convinced.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

birddog10

Convinced.

Post by birddog10 »

After a few frustrating years bow hunting I decided to buy an Excalibur. last year. I went with the Phoenix after reading many opinions and reviews. It shot great and I was very impressed but I always wondered how it would do on a deer, having only 305 fps or so. I can't remember who, but somebody on this website proposed the same concern which was followed by a comment about how many deer do you have to punch a hole through to be convinced. Well Saturday, I drew up on a 4 pt. at 20 yards and 15 feet below my stand. I put the red dot on him as he took a step, pulled the trigger, and watched him run off about 40 yards before toppling over. My firebolt with a 125 gr. Thunderhead attached was found laying on the ground, completely intact, covered in blood from tip to nock. The exit hole left in the deer had him bleeding out and laying in a pool of blood in a matter of minutes. It was a totally awesome experience and I can't wait to take the Phoenix out again. It was very convincing.
TrophyBuck

Re: Convinced.

Post by TrophyBuck »

Congratulations, looks like you made the right choice. I have never had a arrow stick in a deer yet, all have been passthroughs. Exomag 330fps
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on your buck wipe off that bolt put in fresh blades and do it again
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

That's a start. :D

Congrats on the deer. Nice write-up. I suppose the question is . . .how many hits does one miss negate? Seems like everybody is ready to jump ship if they miss one shot. It's the bow, the broadhead, the scope, . . .it's not me.

We miss sometimes. It happens.

You have a great bow, that's for sure.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
secret

Post by secret »

Congrats!!!! good shot!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congrats!
Crispy
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!

I've been happy with my Phoenix in the few years I've owned it. Lost a couple arrows after they went through a deer, but I found the deer they went through. :lol:
wabi
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats to you. All 5 of the deer I got with my Phoenix were pass throughs! :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrtas on yer deer, ain't nutten a phoenix can do that a vixen can't! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:Congrtas on yer deer, ain't nutten a phoenix can do that a vixen can't! :lol:
a vixen cant be a phoenix :D sorry vix i couldnt resist
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

vixenmaster wrote:Congrtas on yer deer, ain't nutten a phoenix can do that a vixen can't! :lol:
I think of the Phoenix as a Vixen with an upgraded riser. :wink:
Same draw length (power stroke) as the old Vixen I owned with an added 25# draw weight from the forward pitched limbs on the new riser. Not sure I like the new riser as well as the old. :roll: It was nice to be able to change strings without a stringing aid, but the added 25# makes it difficult for me with the new riser.
As far as performance, there really isn't all that much as far as deer hunting is concerned. I shoot slightly heavier arrows from the Phoenix, so I only gained a little in velocity. The old Vixen never failed to get pass-throughs either.
wabi
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Congratulations birddog!!! If you have some pictures of that critter we would love to see them. :D

Ain't it a great thing since the Michigan DNR saw the light 2 years ago. It adds a nice change of pace to archery season.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've heard it said a few times, that on a quiet nite, you can hear a Vixen wishin' it could grow up and be a Phoenix... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know if that's true...just sayin', that's the talk :D

I can't rib you too much, I have a Vixen I won off of ebay on it's way 8)
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

congrats on the deer....i'm on my 3rd deer with the same arrow just new blades in the slick trick 125 ready for number 4 :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.