The spooks were out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

The spooks were out

Post by B-Logger »

I just had to post this. It was a terrible morning on Halloween day but afterwards I just had to laugh and thought some might see the humor in it too.

I've done some mighty dumb things in my life and hunting is no different. Like the time I climbed up to the stand, got all set and dropped my gloves. Went down to get them and when I got back up I dropped my hat.

Halloween morning I sat in a pin oak as the only second time in this particular stand. First, I did not do enough trimming so had a problem getting my bow up. However, I persisted and got it up okay and settled in for the hunt. It was before daylight so I just sat and enjoyed the time.

Maybe an hour or hour and a half after full daylight I suddenly spot something in the brush or thought I saw something move. Naturally I brought up the binoculars. While searching, my bow was close to me hanging from a hook; closer that I had intended. Evidently as I was moving, I pushed the bow and the silent woods came alive with a lot of clatter! I quickly took the binoculars down and in horror watched my bow falling in the branches.

If you know pin oaks, you know they have lots and lots and lots of branches. Well, the bow did not make it to the ground...and thankfully did not fire while it was tumbling. But I can't reach the bow. I get down and can't reach the bow from the ground. The brances are such that I can not climb the tree to try to reach it that way.

So here I am, walking up to the barn to get the atv and a stepladder. No bow. Snort, snort! Deer running; me watching and muttering a few choice words.

I was able to get the bow after getting the stepladder but did not continue the hunt until evening. I just thought you guys might as well have a good laugh at my clumsiness on Halloween morning.

btw, I took the stand down too. I won't hunt from that tree again.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Crispy

Re: The spooks were out

Post by Crispy »

Sounds like an interesting day :lol: Glad you and your bow are safe.
Crispy
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

I can definitely relate...while stuff like this hasn't happened while hunting (yet) this generally sounds like my reno projects. Thanks for the laugh! :lol:
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

:lol: DONT GIVE UP ON THAT TREE! It sounds like a good spot!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Good story glad you shared it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
strider23

Post by strider23 »

Thanks for that shot of humor. Glad to hear that your CB survived.

I did the "gloves" thing once. I was sitting in my tree stand and had to take my gloves off so I could pull out a kleenex to wipe a runny nose. I wipe my nose, pack up the snot rags...then...check my lap for gloves only to find that they are gone. Yep...over the side and down on the ground. If it hadn't been a cold day I would have let them be. :lol: :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've been donsidering a ladder stand . . .it's on the back burner again. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: that's why i hunt from the ground anymore....drop stuff it's right there, fall asleep not far to the ground :shock: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

sumner 4991 wrote:I've been considering a ladder stand . . .it's on the back burner again. :)
Ladder stands are all I use Scott. Of course I am old and broke down. I have 2 buddy stands and 2 1 man stands. Got my 2 man in prime areas and can move the 1 man as deer movement dictates. The 2 man stands are much more comfortable and you can shoot 360*.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a comical story! Don't you just love days like that!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thats all i can say.....good stuff thanks for the story
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
maple

Post by maple »

I sympathize B-loggeer. That DOES sound like a good spot!! Your luck might change.

Maple