Bow Hunting During Gun Season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbuck

Bow Hunting During Gun Season

Post by bigbuck »

Is it legal to bow hunt during rifle season here in Ontario.
roland

Re: Bow Hunting During Gun Season

Post by roland »

NO the bow season is closed when the gun season is on.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

yes you are able to bow hunt when gun season is open in some areas ...but make sure your tag says you can...i have bow only antlerless tag that i can't use when gun is open ..but i can use my reg buck tag to tag a buck during gun season that can also be shot with a bow ...some areas have controlled hunts etc and you can only use the specified weapon for those hunt s ....and you have to wear hunters orange
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

You CAN NOT hunt with a bow in most SOUTHERN areas during a controlled hunt that stipulate that you can only use a certain type of tool. WMU 80, I believe, is the only WMU that allows for the use of bows during the controlled hunt, as long as the hunter is part of the controlled hunt and is wearing hunter orange.

If you are part of the controlled hunt in a different WMU, you must use what the MNR says you can use during that controlled hunt, which, in most cases is a shotgun or muzzleloader.

In those areas that have an OPEN SEASON, like most Northern districts, you can use a bow, as they are not 'controlled' hunts, but you must adhere to the regulations regarding hunter orange during seasons in which guns are used.

In any case, a call to your C.O.(s) within the WMU you plan on hunting is always a good idea for clarification.
Tom

Post by Tom »

bigbuck wrote:Is it legal to bow hunt during rifle season here in Ontario.
I would suggest that you read the "SEASON" for what your hunting. What I mean is ....... Archery Only Season ....... Rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, & Archery season, ........ Shotgun, Muzzleloader season ...........

If the tool which you want to hunt with is not listed in the season title, then it is not available to be used during that time. But remember that if your hunting anything (other then waterfowl) in Ontario during a gun season for Deer or Moose, you MUST wear hunter orange.

Hope this helps.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Check the 2010 regs KNOW BEFORE YOU GO!!The regs are changing all the time keep yourself informed.
The best things in life are not things!!
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

you can bow hunt during controlled hunt in s ontario, just not for deer, coyotes, etc dave beavers confirmed this with me a couple of years ago.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I find the controlled hunt a great time to get out with my recurve chasing small game.
I use the time to scout, monitor scrapes and rubs, locate new trees to climb..
You can absolutely be in the woods with a bow during the controlled, but deer are off limits.
You can also be out there with a shotgun for small game, with limited shot size.
Orange is of course mandatory, with the waterfowl exception.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string