Feedback on set ups

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

centerx

Feedback on set ups

Post by centerx »

Cross bows are now legal and I'm excited as heck. No doubt I want a recurve model and that pretty much puts my purchase along the lines of a quality Excalibur. Good news is that decision took all of 5 seconds. Now it's down to model and even then I know what I want from a ballistics standpoint. That is …..

Lowest poundage model that will keep around a 400 grain bolt moving around 300FPS around 35 yards out. Not a speed freak but KE is nice. It's all about the right mix of trajectory and KE for me. Looks to me that the 200 pound models will keep me right in the ballpark. However looking for real world Excalibur user's knowledge as well!

While were on the subject I would welcome all feedback as to bolt recommendation and other equipment. Right now leaning towards the Vortex and Excalibur scope. Carbon bolts and mechanical heads. Who's using something along these lines? Who has had bad luck , outside of the bow of course! What is everybody having luck with on the "nock" end and fletching? . I'll be building these myself more then likely

I'm a compound hunter with 20 years experience and do all my own work right down to building strings. I have shot x-bows for fun as well. Not much I don't understand. However like I said real world x-bow hunting feedback specific to the Excalibur line would be welcomed

Thanks !
Pydpiper

Re: Feedback on set ups

Post by Pydpiper »

A common set-up is to use brass inserts in carbon arrows, and 2" Blazers for fletching. Gives heavy front end weight, many have tried it, none have complained.
My 225# bow shoots exactly 300FPS with that combo, every arrow has passed clean through the deer and impacted the ground so hard my broadheads get destroyed.
The Rage get good reviews from the mechanical shooters.
Congrats on the crossbow hunting, nice to hear!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and good to hear you can finally hunt with a crossbow now. :)
Good choice to go with Excalibur as well, you won't be disappointed!
Any of the hunting xbows from Excal will do the job for you without any trouble at all.
In the 200 lb bows you have the Exocet & Vortex you just need to decide traditional stock (Exocet) or thumbhole stock (Vortex).
I have shot both and own the Vortex and I greatly prefer the comfort of the thumbhole stock but that's a personal preference, both are awesome.
If a local bow shop would let you test fire a couple different models that would definately be a plus!
As for arrows and broadheads there are so many to choose from it can make you dizzy.
I am currently shooting the Firebolts with brass inserts up front with 125 grain field tips and broadheads.
Total arrow & tip weight is 406 grains and they perform very well for me but again there's many to choose from.
The broadhead I like and have had great performance with is the Rage 2 blade mechanical, again a personal preference.
There are other folks on here that will be able to give you more detailed info on what components to use for building your own arrows.

Good luck and most of all have fun and happy hunting!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Welcome centerx!

I shoot a vortex and couldnt be happier. Right now I'm shooting crazyfarmers arrows with brass inerts, 2" blazers and 100grn wasp broad heads. The wasps came with the package, they fly well out of my bow but dont know how they work on deer yet. Many on here like the slick tricks and the rage. I will likely move to a 125grn b-head next season just not sure witch.
Crispy
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Welcome aboard!

The Exocet 200 is the model you want. It comes with an iron clad guarrantee that you'll tag a deer the first time out... :)

Bill K.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome!!!
Sounds like you have done your homework!vortex is probally the best bet for what your looking for. My ? is how far through the deer do u want to shoot? The 150's and 175's will do anything u want them to do 40yds in!I guess its just a personal preference! :lol:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME!! All great info given allready so WELCOME!! Don't forget the pics of your first kill.
The best things in life are not things!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

My next broadhead purchase will be one of these . . .The Vortex Minimax 3 blade, 2" cut . . .

http://www.vortexbroadheads.com/Catalog ... heads1.htm

Or the Whitetail Special from Grim Reaper . . .

http://www.grimreaperbroadheads.com/

Both are extremely well made. Got the BIG 2" cut, 3 blades. I've heard good things about both.

I'm currently using the Trophy Ridge Stricknines. They are great too, but, I have been battling quality control issues with them. I love the accuracy and they drop the deer like nothing else . . .even when the QC issues show their ugly head.

We have the power to push these big bladed mechanicals through a deer three times. Why not make the biggest hole possible? I've yet to have a deer go more than fifty yards with a 2" cut, 3 blade broadhead.

My only problem . . .I need to see more deer.

Be prepared to go through a learning curve. Like any new weapon, it will take a little time to get to know the crossbow on a personal level.

Welcome!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Welcome Centrex
I shoot a 225lb Equinox with firebolts aluminum inserts and a 175 gr slick trick with great results .
You will find the biggest advantage to the higher poundage bows is less arrow drop .
You will get about 10 more inches of drop between 20 and 40 yards out of a Vixen compared to a Equinox with the same bolt according to the Excalibur arrow performance chart.
If you miss judge yardage by 10 yards that 5 inches of drop can make or break you.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Welcome to the forum Centrex.

It sounds like you have done some good homework and are very knowledgeable when it comes to archery. That is good.

The only thing I will add to what the other fellas have written is that all of my crossbow shot deer have been shot using the 125 grain spitfires. I've had zero problems with them. Of course there are many other good heads out there so you have some good choices. Good luck.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

I have a Vortex and have killed my last two bucks with rage 2 blade.I have had the bow three years and have shot a buck each of those 3 years including last Wednesday 11/3/2010.I have been very happy with the Excalibur products.I like the recurve limbs so I can change my string in the field.