o/t looking for info on muzzleloaders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

o/t looking for info on muzzleloaders

Post by mikej »

does anybody have any info on / experience with traditions muzzleloaders? looking at trading my mossberg 500 with 2 barrels (one rifled one with screw-in choke) for a traditions buck stalker .50 cal. looking for a review on performance as well as any other info good or bad.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mikej

Re: o/t looking for info on muzzleloaders

Post by mikej »

wabi

Post by wabi »

I have owned 3 Traditions muzzleloaders over the years.
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being worst/10 being best I would rate them as a 1.

.32 sidelock - was NOT ACCURATE at all. (I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the 70s and I do know a bit about juggling components to get accuracy, nothing would work in this rifle!)

12ga inline - choke was damaged with a recommended load - Traditions would not cover damage repair under warranty.

.50 inline - rifle would not keep 5 shots on paper at 100 yards. :roll:

I'd recommend looking at:
#1 - T/C
#2 - CVA
wabi
weezy

Post by weezy »

I dont have any experience with Traditions but I do with Thompson Center and CVA like Wabi.I would pick TC over anything .If money were a issue I would look at the TC Impact...Right around the price of the Traditions too.
mikej

Post by mikej »

the t/c may be close in price in the US but it is almost double here
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I have the TC Triumph Bone Collector and it is my first muzzle loader. All I can say is........... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. Very well made and accurate. Well worth the money. The speed breech feature is awesome for unloading and cleaning.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Personly I would suggest the Savage model 10 ml-11(2)
This ml uses smokeless powder and is a very accurate rifle once you find the right load. I have one and it is sighted in for 200 yards and is deadly accurate with my load. As I am a reloader for many years this was a thrill for me to find the"sweet load". Make sure you can use smokeless powder in your area. Some places it is not legal. You can also use pyrodex,tripple 7 and the other subs. I have only used smokeless and love my rifle. Don't even use my 06 durning gun season any more. Traditions I would stay away from. Am not to crazy about cva either. Thompson Center is another good one .I had the Omega 50 before I got the Savage. The rest is history. Good luck on your purchase. SPITFIRE
I am a hunter and proud of it.
weezy

Post by weezy »

mikej wrote:the t/c may be close in price in the US but it is almost double here
Oh I didnt know.

From the reviews I have seen online, the Buckstalker looks to be a good gun.
My cousin only shoots Traditions and seems to tag out every year :wink:
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Had one of their pistols in 45 caliber, think it was called Deer Hunter. Gun was made in Spain and I found it to be of reasonably good quality. Trigger sucked at first but after about 100 plus firings it smoothed out really nice. Traded it off for a .50 cal. PA Hunter sidelock BP rifle from T/C because PA required .50 cal. minimum for muzzle loading pistol deer hunting.

Bill K.
secret

Post by secret »

Do they sell kits in Canada? You could build one in a week!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've been shooting a MDM "Buckwacka" Muzzleloader for about 5 years or so. It's the most flat shooting muzzleloader I've shot, including the TC's.

I use the .45 Nitro Express Stainless Steel model. The maximum load is 150 grains, but I only use 100 with a Hornady 200 grain SST. The Buck in my avatar fell to it last year at 110 yards.

This muzzleloader is not only flat shooting, but with the Hornady SST's, it's very accurate! It's also very simple to take apart and clean. Give one a look over if you can find one in your part of the World. They're a small company out of Vermont I believe.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
jacktar

Post by jacktar »

I know I don't write in too much, but about your question on muzzle loaders...
I have built them for going on thirty years now. Both flints and percussions and not from kits. They'll hold a group as well as a modern rifle. Haveing said all that I would hunt with is my thompson center triumph. It's as good as an excalibur CB. I love it. The speed breech makes cleaning a breeze. I've got it set up with a bushnell doa and this thing is right on the money. I've shot it with 100 grains and 150 triple seven pellets and they both hold true for me. One other thing, when I got it I was told about all the cleaning and seasoning products and like a fool I bought into it. They did'nt work as well as plain old water and then just oil it. You'll love this thing. If I had to choose only two weapons for the rest of my hunting it would be a thompson center and my exocet. :D :D :D
you can't tell from were you sit how your pants hang till you stand up
bucont

Post by bucont »

I owned a Traditions .50 cal bolt action. The weapon was a good shooter out to 100 yards. Only issue I had was the bolt, it would open with the slightest bump.
I now have a TC Omega, no issues what so ever.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

TC'S are hard to beat. I have had my Omega 50 cal fo yrs it is blued steel with a real tree hardwoods camo stock. It's a shooter for sure.
Taken deer with a TC-Scout 50 cal yrs ago. TC's are just hard to beat. They also make fine cartridge guns as well.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

jacktar wrote:I know I don't write in too much, but about your question on muzzle loaders...
I have built them for going on thirty years now. Both flints and percussions and not from kits. They'll hold a group as well as a modern rifle. Haveing said all that I would hunt with is my thompson center triumph. It's as good as an excalibur CB. I love it. The speed breech makes cleaning a breeze. I've got it set up with a bushnell doa and this thing is right on the money. I've shot it with 100 grains and 150 triple seven pellets and they both hold true for me. One other thing, when I got it I was told about all the cleaning and seasoning products and like a fool I bought into it. They did'nt work as well as plain old water and then just oil it. You'll love this thing. If I had to choose only two weapons for the rest of my hunting it would be a thompson center and my exocet. :D :D :D
you can't tell from were you sit how your pants hang till you stand up
So true and a big Amen to that jacktar i agree with ya 151%.