Ontario numbers down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

Ontario numbers down

Post by catcher »

I was at our local hats for hide depot today to drop off my hide. ( for non Ontario residents the hats for hide depots are for our local natives to have our deer hides and they in turn give you a hat for appreciation , they in turn make the hide into leather and make crafts out of it. ) and what the guy there told me was that my hide was the 22 of the year so far and usually by now he has well over 200. He then also told me that over the last 4 years the hides are down almost 1800 per year. He usually takes in about 3500 hides a year. And he is a chatty guy and is knowledgeable about trapping and such and every year I usually pick his brain on a few tricks for trapping and such. So he talks to everyone I guess is what I am getting at and he asks everybody what they are seeing for deer numbers. And from what he tells me the sightings are way down. Gone are the days he told me of when guys would say they saw 5 or 6 deer a hunt. And now hunters are telling him they shoot what they see because they never know if they are going to see any more at all during their hunt. This is the Belleville to Cornwall and Ottawa area.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
mikej

Re: Ontario numbers down

Post by mikej »

the numbers are way down here to gerry, i haven't seen a deer all year and i have talked to many hunters who say the same.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

We aren't seeing the numbers we used to see a few years ago. We have 2 does down at our camp and neither one had a fawn. I live on 85 acres and used to see 4 to 5 deer in the fields regularly but now I see only one at a time. The doe we have was with a fawn all year until about a month ago and is now alone. Twice this year we have found fawn parts, tail a month ago and part of head in early summer. I have to wonder if the fawns are being killed by coyotes. I have no facts on coyote numbers but I can say we see many more in our fields than ever before and hear what sounds like more than 10 at a time. I wonder if MNR has any accurate info.
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

When I seen the tag numbers were down I assumed that it was due to projected deer populations.
Oddly this year I am seeing more than ever here, what I am not seeing is the scraps and rubs that should be accompanying them.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
RDPress

Post by RDPress »

I think we're going to be seeing a serious decline in the game seal allotments for the 2011 season. There have been a number of reports of people seeing fewer deer this year. However, I'm not one of them. I am seeing just as many, if not more, deer in the areas I hunt. However, that may be due to some work I have done in those areas with mineral plots and supplemental feeders (up and running now that the crops are off) which seem to have drawn more deer to the areas. Combined with these areas primarily being hunted bow only and keeping pressure down, the deer seem to have settled in.

I tend to not hunt with the credo of 'if it's brown, it's down'. I seek out mature animals and let the young ones walk. This could also have had an effect during the past three years, during which I have been sticking to this method.

Munch took a nice mature buck in an area where we both have permission during the controlled hunt this past week. It was great to see a mature animal harvested. If more hunters start practicing selective harvest, then not only will we see a healthier deer herd, but more people will start seeing bigger deer. However, that's a pipe dream in most parts of Southern Ontario, where the mentality is to shoot everything that moves.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Numbers are down big time in 76D as well! 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
maple

Post by maple »

That's fine RDPress, if your interest is in big bucks.

Some, on the other hand, prefer a tender and flavourful spike. To each their own. And yes, deer will pool in an area that's baited heavily. QDM is not for everybody.

If you guys get the MNR's 'Hunt Camp News', (Ask for it if you don't. It's free.), you'll see that in the Kemptville District, the estimated deer populations are way down. For instance in WMU 64A, from 12.3 per km2 in 2003 to 4.7 currently. Similarly in other WMUs. This is below the 'optimal' density, so the harvest may be reduced in future.

Let's hope for a couple of mild winters.

Maple
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Luck may play into it some but this year I have seen more than the last two combined.
I was out today and saw a nice buck but it appeared to be wounded shotgun season ended Fri in WMU 79.Out of range for my bow.
This area has two distinct scape trails. so hopefully something will work out before Dec 31.
Tenpoint Matrix
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Of course the numbers are down! You can't allow people to have 6 and 7 tags each (if you hunt 2 areas or more) and expect the numbers not to drop. People have been shooting more deer than they need simply because it is exciting. Add the strong coyote population to that and you have a recipe for decreased numbers.

Ottawa area used to have a ton of deer. The MNR allowed for extra tags to rifle, shotgun and archery hunters like they were going out of style. 2 Hard winters later, some coyotes, farmers protecting crops and hunter groups that have shot up to (this is real) 32 deer/group. What do you get? 1 tag per guy. 30% chance of of doe tag and a lot less deer in the bush.

Everyone has been living high of the hog the last few years but deer go in cycles, just like everything else. We are in a down swing now. The question is, will people change thei rhunting habits and give them a chance to rebound or will they just carry on like they have.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
mitch

Post by mitch »

here in north west Ontario (Dryden area) seem stable , lots of deer. The last winter were very nice, an it is low population area meaning lest hunter.We have deer right downtown.I use to hunt moose ,but now they are down in number around here because of the deer being so height in number so now I hunt only deer.To many deer in moose area will give them disease.So in those place we need more hunter for deer none for moose.
RDPress

Post by RDPress »

maple wrote:That's fine RDPress, if your interest is in big bucks.

Some, on the other hand, prefer a tender and flavourful spike. To each their own. And yes, deer will pool in an area that's baited heavily. QDM is not for everybody.

If you guys get the MNR's 'Hunt Camp News', (Ask for it if you don't. It's free.), you'll see that in the Kemptville District, the estimated deer populations are way down. For instance in WMU 64A, from 12.3 per km2 in 2003 to 4.7 currently. Similarly in other WMUs. This is below the 'optimal' density, so the harvest may be reduced in future.

Let's hope for a couple of mild winters.

Maple
Not just big bucks. I target does to fill the freezer. Since those who practice QDM have come under fire around here lately, I'll leave that discussion alone.

I 'manage' one area out in 85 with my father-in-law that has seen a serious upswing this year. It's 1200 acres combined and up until three years ago, we may have seen two or three deer in a season Since doing some work in the area and letting the young deer we did see walk, we saw a steady increase. One year after starting to 'manage' the area, we saw deer more regularly, but still not a lot. Two years after starting, we saw a definite increase, but, we still didn't remove a deer from the area. Last year, I passed on five 2.5 year old bucks in that area that approached within 30 yards and although I saw does almost every time out, I didn't have the opportunity to bring one into bow range, or I would have harvested one. This year, I have passed on a shot six times so far. Some of the same bucks are around and next year, if they don't wander away, they'll be in trouble. Once again, I'm looking to take a doe in that area if the opportunity presents itself.

If people continue to just 'shoot what they see' with the number of tags that are being given out, then they can expect to see fewer deer and immature deer at that. Mature deer just don't materialize out of thin air.

I never seem to have a shortage of venison in my freezer. I have a couple friends who hunt who have families who don't eat it...so, what they shoot up North, usually ends up at my house. Plus, when you have family friends who farm raise them...well, that ends up making its way here too on occassion. :wink:

I guess I can just afford to be picky. My family doesn't depend on the meat for sustanance. I have nothing against those who harvest any deer for that purpose.
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I stopped my hides for hats donations three years ago due to the Indian occupation in Caledonia as I have friends and co workers that have been effected by this.
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Now I'm not trying to sound like an idiot but how much do you think coyotes have to do with it...percentage wise? I know there are a lot of factor's but I'm sure their current numbers don't help the matter a whole heck of a lot.
Anyone from/hunts W. Grey County in Ontario reading this post I hope/think will agree. Coyote #'s are up, and in my neck of the woods atleast deer and turks #'s are noticeably down.

Tman74
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
JRS

Post by JRS »

Pydpiper wrote: Oddly this year I am seeing more than ever here, what I am not seeing is the scraps and rubs that should be accompanying them.
Been muzzle loading this week, and Monday to Friday I saw 2 deer. Saturday morning I saw 10. Today, I saw 4 this morning. Also, there are new scrapes that didn't exist 2 days ago. It was like someone flipped a switch, the deer are popping up all over. I think this week will be the time to get out and get it done. I must say, the weather was perfect this week. Calm, frosty mornings, and no rain.
murrdogger

Post by murrdogger »

I live in between belleville and kingston and i have seen in the last 3 to 4 months 60 to 75 deer. I know some of are the same deer but i think the deer numbers seem like there up in my area. Last year i never seen one till mid december.