Switched From Slicks To G5 Strikers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OkXbowHunter

Switched From Slicks To G5 Strikers

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Well, I finally got fed up with the 100 grain Slick Trick Magnums not hitting the same spot as my broadheads. I've tweaked and tweaked and the closest I could get was 4 inches away using 150 grain field points :shock: 100 grain field points were hitting nearly 8 inches away.

So after reading the glaring reviews on here and other forums, I bought some 125 grain G5 Strikers and decided to give them a go.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! :D

I think I've found a broadhead that will hit nearly the same spot as my field points...at least at 30 yards they do! The Orange vane is a 125 grain field tip, the Green vaned arrow has a 125 grain Striker on the front. I repeated this grouping several more times before adjusting my scope so they would hit dead on.

By the way, the yellow tape was my aiming point. The 100 grain Slicks were right on at this range. Everything else hit where these two arrows hit!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
strum

Re: Switched From Slicks To G5 Strikers

Post by strum »

did the slicks shoot consistent?..just not like you target tips?...
I just like to read what poeple are saying about there setups,,I gather you just want a broad head that will fly like your target tips..so you dont have to shoot up your target and or take the chance of messing up your huntin head,,
nothing wrong with that thinking ,,
I just always shoot what im hunting with before i hunt so i feel confidant if i get a shot..
i been looking at the g5s wonderd how they do ..
keep us informed
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Great! It really is nice to have BHs grouping with your field tips. Last year I just re-sighted in for my 3 blade Muzzys and didn't shoot field tips until the season was over. This year, like you, I was able to get my BHs (100 grain CB Grim Reapers) to group with my field tips.

Take care...
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Why would you shoot 100 gr slicks BH & try to match 150 gr field pts ? Strikers are very good BH's. The slicks have a small washer thats like a balance collar & it must be set right so no wobble or runout when tightened on insert.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Hey VixenM,

The reason I was shooting 150 grain field tips with 100 grain Slick Tricks was because the 100 grain field points hit a lot higher than the Slick Tricks. Only by using heavier field points, was I able to even get the field tips to hit remotely close to the same spot.

The Slicks spin tested very well. I only had a two I had to tweak the collar on. In fact, I've had more trouble spin testing these G5's than I did the ST's. I believe the COC point is the reason. Once I found a piece of smooth tile, they spun very well (I had been using my wood workbench and noticed the point wobbling out a tiny spot)

@ Strum

Yes, the Slick Tricks shot very good groups. In fact, I sliced two vanes off at 30 and 40 yards when I was trying them out. They just didn't even fly close to field tips!

Someone posted not too long ago that their CB shot all types of heads very close to the same POI. I've found the same to be true with nearly everything except these darn 100 grain Magnums (and HellRazors). :x Every know and again I want to put an end to a pesky squirrel or small varmit without using a $10 broadhead and just wanted to get my field tips and BH shooting a lot closer.

For now at least, I think I've got the right combo!

Now I have to test them out on something warm blooded with a heart beat...like this critter for example....

Notice my tri-pod stand in the background, over his rump? Hopefully the next time he comes by, I'll be there waiting for him and introduce him to Mr. Striker!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

When i had some steelhead's & slick mags, montec G5 & strikers & spitfire they all hit inside a 2" circle at 40 yds. Heck i even had alum. & carbon arrows in quiver, all arrows weighted with-in 10/15 gr so they all shot alike. I think sometimes the faster the CB the more picky it becomes on what it likes to shoot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315