hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

norwegandeerhunter

Re: hard to make a good shoot at 50 yards

Post by norwegandeerhunter »

secret wrote:Maybee you should try different shafts? just to see if its the bow or your shafts! Im betting on the shafts or just winddrift!!!!

My shafts is the arrow if I`am correct, should I be careful with them when I store them? I have them in my Quiver all the time is that a problem?
secret

Post by secret »

Try shooting a different kind of arrow Easton, Gold tip,Any just shoot a different arrow and see what happens....if it hits in the same place it is the bow start looking for something that is making contact with arrow or scope problems, bent scope mount, or something like that.these bows are bombproff .......most of the time its the arrows...but not always.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer shooting flat rear noks correct ? What fletching straight offset helical ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I think 5o is a good ethical distance to kill a broadhead target lol..keep trying and tweeking it youll get it figured out..I kill mine at 60 too..but ofcourse like said keep em close in the field and youll be fine.. :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Should be good to under 100yds to kill targets like this guy :lol: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=35809
The best things in life are not things!!
norwegandeerhunter

When I bought the crossbow I took it apart to transport, if I remember correct I forgot to place plastic shim, if that is the English word for it? Look at the picture, can someone look at his bow and check?
Attachments
DSCF0109.JPG
DSCF0109.JPG (140.99 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Those plastic shims are to cut down on vibration i think & should be put back into riser before limbs go into pocket
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

norwegandeerhunter wrote:When I bought the crossbow I took it apart to transport, if I remember correct I forgot to place plastic shim, if that is the English word for it? Look at the picture, can someone look at his bow and check?
do you know you can take the two bolts that hold the riser to the rail out and take it apart that way instead of taken the limbs off the riser....a lot less work to get it back together.......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
redeye

Post by redeye »

Try rage 125 2 blade,comes with practice head.They fly better than anything I've tried and really put em down fast and leave massive blood trail when hit right.
norwegandeerhunter

g
Last edited by norwegandeerhunter on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
norwegandeerhunter

do you know you can take the two bolts that hold the riser to the rail out and take it apart that way instead of taken the limbs off the riser....a lot less work to get it back together.......bob

....[/quote]

Yes but it wont help me now I have used strong loctite on the bolts so I cant take anything of, real stupid :oops:

I buy some new arrows/bolts to test if that will make a difference.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

norwegandeerhunter wrote: I used my bed pillow as support both times the only thing I did was to hold a little harder when I squeezed the trigger the second shoot.
Try NOT holding so hard. Relax and squeeze. Holding hard usually generates muscle stress and movement(shakes), makes for a poor follow through. Bring the stock firmly to your shoulder, then relax. Concentrate on just squeezing off the trigger in a 1 second finger motion. You count, "one thousand one" in your head . . .when you finish the second "one", then the trigger should be released. Going longer than 1 second can cause the shakes too. Focus on just the finger movement when squeezing the trigger.

Is it still just the 50 yard shots that are giving you trouble? The shorter shots are OK?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
norwegandeerhunter

redeye wrote:Try rage 125 2 blade,comes with practice head.They fly better than anything I've tried and really put em down fast and leave massive blood trail when hit right.

I have wanted to test mecanical broadhead, the only thing I`am worried about is that they destroys meat. Maybe I`m wrong abut that but the standard broadhead I used last year did a lot of mess, it went through the heart and broke the front leg on the other side. Maybe it was the leg that did the mess I dont know.
norwegandeerhunter

sumner4991 wrote:
norwegandeerhunter wrote: I used my bed pillow as support both times the only thing I did was to hold a little harder when I squeezed the trigger the second shoot.
Try NOT holding so hard. Relax and squeeze. Holding hard usually generates muscle stress and movement(shakes), makes for a poor follow through. Bring the stock firmly to your shoulder, then relax. Concentrate on just squeezing off the trigger in a 1 second finger motion. You count, "one thousand one" in your head . . .when you finish the second "one", then the trigger should be released. Going longer than 1 second can cause the shakes too. Focus on just the finger movement when squeezing the trigger.

Is it still just the 50 yard shots that are giving you trouble? The shorter shots are OK?
I will try some new shoots today just to see, its not blowing outside today so maybe that will help. Not holding so hard should be tested.
M&M

Post by M&M »

also make sure you follow through with your shot when you shoot and what I mean by follow through is when you shoot try to see the arrow hit the target through the scope. many times we can get in a hurry to see the arrow in the target or see the reaction of the deer and we lower the bow or pull it to the side too quickly and cause the shot to miss the intended target so keep your cheek on the stock and try to see the arrow hit the target through the scope this could all be caused by shooting technique and that is why when I am teaching someone to shoot I am usually watching the shooter himself and his form more than paying attention to the target so I know if he is making any mistakes. we are usually the cause of most of our own problems at least thats how it goes for me
M&M