Excalibur's in cold weather

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Re: Excalibur's in cold weather

Post by vixenmaster »

Excals are used all up Northern Canada & temps get right down rump freezing cold easy -40 or more. Mind you i ain't never been up thar with mine to personnally try it out
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

You're doing what they did to Glock handguns The torture test series. Excal and Glock tuff as nails.... :D :D :D
jacktar

Post by jacktar »

I've had my exocet out when it was so cold I saw two rabbits trying to jump start a beagle and the bow was fine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

a few years back i hunted a few afternoons in -25c. on the final day of the year the stand was creeking and wind was blowing after sitting for 4 hrs the phoenix was dead on at 32 yards ...
TrophyBuck

Post by TrophyBuck »

I did have a problem a few years back as I sat in the stand and had a mix of weather batter me and the bow. I was unsuccessful, and upon leaving I was trying to unload my bow but couldn’t, the trigger was frozen. I had to warm it up in the truck first to get it to uncock; just glad this did not happen while I was aiming at a deer. Now I just make sure that when I sit in this type of weather I cover over the trigger and scope to protect it.
If i'm not hunting i'm fishing, and if i'm not fishing i'm wishing.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

bstout wrote:In 2003 I was new to crossbows and I considered them to be somewhat flimsy compared to other archery equipment I'd been used too.

I cocked my Vixen and placed it in my chest freezer. It just fit in there perfect while it was cocked. I left it for 5 hours before pulling it out. I stepped out onto my deck and drilled the bullseye on my target, dead center at 20 yards.

Excalibur crossbows get an A+ for being rugged.

I accidentally backed over my right limb tip with my truck once also. All that happened was it pushed the limb tip down into the dirt. I picked it up and cleaned it off. There was no change in point of impact.

I've also dropped my Excalibur Vixen out of a tree stand 20 feet up. It landed on a rock pile of course. All that happened was it got a couple more dings on it, scars if you will. Scars are like tattoos only with better stories behind them.

Excalibur crossbows are the four wheel drive of hunting crossbows!!!

Note to self.....don't lend my Vortex to bstout!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(just kiddin' bstout. :) )
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
maple

Post by maple »

Should be fine. I have hunted until the end of December with mine and have no real problems with the bow. Mind you, one does have to pay attention to getting the trigger mechanism wet and then exposing it to freezing weather. The excess moisture may freeze the parts together. Just like it's a good plan to dry your bow out after hunting in the rain. Take care of it, and it'll do you just fine.

The only problem I've ever had is fogging up the scope when I breathe hard. Like, when a deer comes into sight.

Maple
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've noticed several bad things happen as it gets well below freezing.

It's much harder to cock the bow.
The stirrup shrinks (it sure seems like it did when I try to fit my winter boots in it).
It's much harder to feel the trigger.
The distance increases between the truck and the blind when I'm carrying a cold crossbow.
Setting with the bow on my lap causes me to loose feeling in my toes.

The bow still shoots just fine and with full power, but my old body sure doesn't hold up as well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i forgot to mention ...i hunted one time 6am til 6 at night and the temp dropped all day it changed from rain to winter storm ..the safety froze up and kept sliding from red to green as i walked ... someone on here mentioned to put an elastic band on the safety to keep it in the safe spot