rut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trout13

rut

Post by trout13 »

is the rut still on havent seen any deer in three days dont know why ?
OkXbowHunter

Re: rut

Post by OkXbowHunter »

Although I don't live in your neck of the woods, I'll go out on a limb and say that yes, the rut is still on in your hunting area. The Bucks are probably in lock down mode, which means they're with hot does waiting to breed them. After most of the Does are bred, you'll start seeing Bucks cruising again. It depends on a lot of different things, mainly the Buck to Doe ratio and the population in your area, and not to mention the timing of the rut. But I'm guessing this is why you're not seeing many at this time.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
DanO

Post by DanO »

It's REALLY quiet up here as well. I think it's the gun season that put the deer in super lockdown. They aren't even using there regular runs at this point. Wonder how long it takes to return to normal.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
watamach

Post by watamach »

I'm in 80 around Baden/Plattsville area and saw bucks earlier this week running pretty hard but would agree its lock down right now. If it could get a little colder we would see more day movement is my guess. I am having success hunting food sources at night right now and seeing bucks just before dark. I saw quite a few fawns the last couple of days so can only assume they have been temporarily abandoned so moms can breed.
spitfire125

Post by spitfire125 »

i hunt in 90 sweaburg area, i agree bucks are definitely in lockdown mode, bucks are sticking with hot or soon to be hot does,give it another week and bucks will start searching again.
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

Saw 2 bucks , 1 was a beautiful 10 pt, out in the middle of the day on Saturday. both had nose to ground so I would think the rut is still on
exocet 175
varizone
Flemish Dyna Flight
Fire bolts
150 gr bolt cutters
watamach

Post by watamach »

I went out quickly this morning and had to be back by 8:30 but wished I could have stayed until 10 at least. I used a scent drag and decoy this morning and had 2 different bucks follow my scent drag part way and then leave the field both in the same place. I had scarface set up as a doe and both bucks saw it and stopped looked several times and moved on. They were moving pretty good so they were searching hard for does. I used a scent drag for at least .5km from where I park and it has been a good move lately for me. I refresh it a couple times as I walk. Not sure if the bucks would have come into the decoy with antlers on it?
dustycraven

Post by dustycraven »

bump>>> Buck Decoy?
ch312

Post by ch312 »

trout13 wrote:is the rut still on havent seen any deer in three days dont know why ?
considering i watched a buck let a doe have it on friday i would have to say yes, the rut is still on. :D