I've created a monster!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

I've created a monster!

Post by Pydpiper »

Hunter got his first rifle at 4 years old, put meat on the table at 5. He has 2 rifles and now this, a 20 gauge 870. Brought it home earlier in the week with full intentions of making it a Christmas present, didn't even have my shoes off when I handed it to him. :?
I had some shells for it from a previous gun, so a day of familiarizing him with this thing and we were in the backyard blowing up pumpkins.
With his rifles he started fairly conservative, didn't ask much to go out and shoot, although he is on his 4th box of bullets so far this year (almost 2000 rounds). He has more trigger time in than any other person I know, including me, and I shoot daily.
He just can't put this shotgun down! 2 boxes of slugs at the range this morning, 2 boxes of #6 last night at the range and countless others in the backyard in the past couple days. He wants a re-loader now, and I think that may be a great idea at the rate he is spitting out shells.
I have been trying to post a video or two, but I just can't, so I will include a link (or two)..
Seeing an 8 year old with a shotgun can be a bit alarming to some, it is worth noting that Hunter has been an active shooter for over 4 years, he can recite every rule and regulation the Canadian law requires, and more importantly, he practices them to the point it has become second nature years ago. He has his own membership to a gun club where he has been awarded 1st place in every competition he has participated in, not limited to youth class.
In the rifle video you hear me call a seize fire, his bolt action is incapable of opening once the plunger is pulled (like an old Cooey), and our rule is that he can not lower the plunger, a moment of confusion, but safe none the less.

Pulled the video links, didn't like the access to photbucket. :?
Last edited by Pydpiper on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Re: I've created a monster!

Post by agingcrossbower »

Very very impressive. Proud father Aye. :D
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

That's the good kind of monster to create, safe, responsable and ethical. I can see your proud and should be.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I think its important to start kids out early ...i did with my kids and we had and still have fun shooting and hunting.
This year i have been trying to take my 9 year old nephew out and its not as easy as it was with my own,He wants to hunt but he dont want to do as he is told...all i can do is keep trying.
Great job you have done with this little monster.
RDPress

Post by RDPress »

You're doing good work! Teach him to be responsible and he'll never get involved with the gangs carrying pistols down their pants.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

This was the best i could get it to do, much the same as you have David only it shows a pic to click on and it then takes you to photobucket.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a ruger sr22 for the boy and I. Well for me but he can learn to shoot on it as well :)
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
roly

Post by roly »

Great vid's , you guys are having way to much fun.

Nothing like plinking.
longshot

Post by longshot »

I have the same gun Mr. Pydpiper. It's a Remington 870 20 gauge. The stock is camo and the barrel is black. Your son is a great shot :D . I wish that we had a gun club around here I could go to. We shoot at the range at the hunting club.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Very cool. That's some fine shooting!

I like your target barn.

My wife gets really pissed when I give out Christmas gifts early. I can't help myself either. It's some type of disease, we should probably seek help and collect disability.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats a very good thing giving yer son a shotgun, many hrs of enjoyment & great times ahead fer both of you
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Nice, thanks! Oh, to be young again and equipped like him! :D
"Eze 18:21"
secret

Post by secret »

Great video!!!! Looks like you son can handle that shotgun!!!!! You must be a happy dad!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Start saving for a bigger safe first, Hailey and Hanna will probably want the pink versions in .22 an 20 ga. :wink:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

You have done it now David, My 8 year old son saw me veiwing this and guess what his questions were. "HEY! Dad............"

:lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
catcher

Post by catcher »

Nice. I wish they would change the laws here. I think if they can handle a gun safely and pass the acquired test they should be able to hunt with an adult. I think 12 is to old. There are lots of kids ready younger and more safe than most adults.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings