How Fast Can You Setup a Climber?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

How Fast Can You Setup a Climber?

Post by DanO »

I know I'm old and slow but I need a benchmark time. :( It takes me 40 minutes from the moment I walk up to the tree until I'm sitting safely about 17 feet up. :oops: I use a Summit Viper and it's a great stand but I'm taking for ever to climb with it. There's alot of setup time initially and once you've reached the "right" height. Coming down takes 30 minutes from start to finish (ie. walking out). How fast do the younger bucks do it? Any obvious time saving strategies? :roll:

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
wabi

Re: How Fast Can You Setup a Climber?

Post by wabi »

I set my Summit up on the storage shelving in the landowner's garage where I hunt about 3 years ago and told him he was welcome to use it or loan it out anytime he wanted to.
He's been up in it a few times, I haven't used it since. :roll:

A ladder stand already in the tree is a lot easier. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would say it used to take me about 15 - 20 minutes to set up & be ready to hunt with it.
wabi
DanO

Post by DanO »

I've gone to my ladder stands for the predawn hunting and the climber for late afternoons. I can't imagine clunking around in the predawn bush with the climber. I make too much noise and take too long.

Is there room on the shelf for another climber, Wabi? :lol:
Dan O.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

well Im 49 I will be 50 0n Feb 23. I use a climber almost all the time. Its a lonewolf sit and climb. Ive used it so long now im pretty good at this stand. It takes me about 20-30 mln to get sat down and still. My formost priority is to be very quiet...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
bigbuckonly1

Post by bigbuckonly1 »

Safety & quiet are main concerns in setting up any tree stand.
Take time to enjoy each & everyday that GOD has given us- be thankful.

Excalibur Vortex
Firebolt Arrows
Rage .125gr. Broadheads
Equalizer Climbing Stand
99% Scent Killer
RANGER94

Post by RANGER94 »

I use API climbing treestands - they are kind of clunky and heavy, but with the chain wrapped around the tree - I feel solid and secure. If it can be done, I like to pre-stage my climbers the night before, that is get it wrapped around a tree. That way, alls I have to do is tie my gear to the guide lines, and hook up my safety harness. I like to get my stands well, well before sunlight, since I know I make a racket getting up there and scare everything away for a 10 mile radius. I never time myself getting up and secure in the climber, I always take my sweet old time, safety is my utmost concern. But - I would guess about 20 - 40 minutes depending is a safe bet.
secret

Post by secret »

ImageI use a api also and i would say from start to finish is 25-30 min. To Ranger94, Try this it makes api tresstands 1000% better. Note....i climb about 30' or higher
http://www.guncustomizing.com/API-Treestand.htm
Last edited by secret on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i usually sit 20-24ft up and it takes less than 10 minutes going up and probably half that to get down. but, i'm around 6'2, 25 and have full extension whether going up or down. i like to take my time to avoid sweat and spooking any critters.

i use a 30-32lb strongbuilt climber :oops:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

From packed up on my back to sitting comfortable, about 20 minutes. Used to take longer due to trying to be quiet, then I learned some tricks.. :D
I bring branches with me, break and smash them every few feet up the tree, or to cover a bad sound I had just made. Breaking branches brings deer to you in the bush like Stetson brings in toothless women at a country bar.
I used to try to go slow, and quiet, didn't take me long to understand that that simply doesn't happen.
I have watched a friend climb trees breaking and cutting branches all the way up, only to have deer under him before he can even sit down. If you think you are being quiet then your wrong. Best bet is to try to sound like something that doesn't eat deer, and make your way up!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I leave mine locked to my tree at the tick toter crossing. I walk in unlock it climb tree in 10 min or so pullmy pack up & my vixen ready fer daylight
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
strum

Post by strum »

I use the viper also ..if i am familer with the tree,meaning ive climbed it before and cut any limbs out of the way i can be sitting down hunting in about 15 mins somtimes faster..one thing i do is i have a little bag attached to my stand that i keep 2 hooks,a saw, and my pullup rope .
when i get it hooked up i just pull out the rope hook it to my weapon ,and up i go..you kinda get a system after a while..but i agree with the other guys ,,safty first..if you need to slow down then by all means do so..no need to hurry up and fall :shock: I have used a fair amount of climbers and i think the summit viper is in the top of its class..safe to climb with and comfortable to stay a while
oh my rope is 30 ft long and i always go till its taunt..if i can that is..in these ga mtns you have to get up there..now on flat land 15-20 is good,,
Last edited by strum on Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I have been using a summit viper now for 8 years,and at 47 I sure aint no speedster! :lol: but from the time I set it on the ground it takes me about 10 to 15 minutes to be critter ready!!
My max height is 20ft...don't like my shot angles after that!
Good Hunting!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:I leave mine locked to my tree at the tick toter crossing. I walk in unlock it climb tree in 10 min or so pullmy pack up & my vixen ready fer daylight
realy he sends up the vixen goes home and comes back later to see what it shot :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
DanO

Post by DanO »

I've only had the stand a year so I've only climbed probably a dozen times. Safety is always first and noise reduction is second which leads to a slow climb. Oh yeah and being 5'7" doesn't give me the leverage of the tall guy so I probably take twice as many "steps" going up. If I take away the quiet factor I could reduce the time to probably 30 minutes. Alot of that time is spent tying on clothing, bow, and small back pack. I can't climb with the clothes I'm going to sit in; I'd stink the place out. :evil:

Dan O.
munch

Post by munch »

i also have a lone wolf sit and climb and i would say from the time i arrive at the tree and swing the thing off my back and get up 15 to 18 feet ready to hunt would not take 10 minutes .can do the thing in the dark but like to switch on the hat light just to check the bands are locked secure .
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook