X-act blades opening?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pa vince

X-act blades opening?

Post by pa vince »

Has anyone ever had the X-Act mechanical fail to open on a deer? I got my 26th buck this year "8 pt". First with the phoenix XB and the broad head showed no sign of opening. The shot was a neck shot, deer facing me at 31 yds. arrow went dead center in middle of neck and lodged in the spine. deer went down like hit with a rifle. finished it with double lung shot. After skinning deer looked at large round entrance hole in hide, no tell tale sign of blades opening. the arrow did not pass thru the deer but broke into three pieces when it fell and thrashed around. I cut into the neck and again a round hole but no triangle blade cut marks. I then gently pulled the 6 inch front piece out and the blades were totally closed. I opened the blades looked at them with a mag. glass and they do not look like they opened, no nicks or bends. I shot them at target in yard. opened every time. I love the way they shoot but am concerned about this happening again. I have to thank the forum and all the guys who give great advice answering questions ect. You made my transition to the crossbow a pleasure.

Pa Vince
Cossack

Re: X-act blades opening?

Post by Cossack »

Short, 4-bladed, fixed 'heads-like Slick Tricks-fly great for me; I don't worry about deployment. Confidence in ones gear is all-important to hunting IMO, why have a nagging little voice chirping about your 'head failing when thee are so many that CAN'T.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I had a mechanical (Wasp JakHammer) fail to open on a pass through shot on a deer a few years ago. I put the arrow through his heart and recovered him easily, but found the arrow the next morning and the broadhead was still closed with the O-rings in place over the blades.
I switched back to fixed blades. :wink:
wabi
pa vince

Post by pa vince »

Thanks all for the reply's. I have to agree with you on the mechanical tradeoff, I am switching to the fixed blades. Now to decide which one. The slick tricks sound great and seem to have a pretty good following. And seeing that I am retired I have plenty of time to play around with them. I just love shooting my phoenix and am already looking forward to the late archery season here in Pa. to try to smack a doe. " With Slick tricks" Thanks again for the advice.
roly

Post by roly »

I don't know about the X-act B/Hs but
when I used Jakhammers I had to open them
every once in a while. I would pull the "O" ring back and the blades would stay there
I would open each blade and move them till they became free and
they would be fine

Every time I went out hunting I would check them
maybe the X-act are similar.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My deer on Saturday there was definitely no question whether or not it opened . Dad said it looked like she was hit with my 50 cal . :D
I was using the x-act`s .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus