How to get deer closer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FJB

Re: How to get deer closer

Post by FJB »

I also would like to know what to do. I have tried calling, rattling all to no avail. I think i scare them off more times than actually calling them in. Always trying to learn more.
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Soemtimes it works sometimes it does not. You did nothing wrong. Only thing I would suggest if conditions permit is to relocate your blind to within 20 - 30 yds of the scrape. If wind and cover permit - they won't be tending those much longer INO.

F
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Blind as in ground type ? If so can you set it up month or 2 prior to open season ? I have mine set-up with-in 30 yds of trail! One of those Doe in heat bombs set-off prior to entering yer blind may help. Don't call nor rattle out of a blind! They know its there but not if yer in it til you do that. Brush a blind in well, specially if'en after an older mature Buck
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Bugs try moving your set-up. Maybe even just go sit right on the ground and use deadfall or such as makeshift blind.

Also, be aware that if you're calling, they will come in from down wind.

Also, they have an amazing ability to focus EXACTLY on the source of the sound. They'll also be coming in on high alert. If you are calling to one you can see try to call very softly and muffle your call a bit. You can also try to direct it a bit out to the side.

This is where a decoy can be helpful - they MIGHT focus on the deke when they hear the call. I sometimes just loop a piece of white TP on a twig about 10 yds out to distract them. You don't want the "distraction" to be too far from where you are calling from.

So exciting to hear of your close encounter!!!! Expect the unexpected! :D

Good luck!!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

:D When I'm in a pop up blind I'll eventually start to dose and to snore. Brings em in every time! Unfortunately they'll startle me awake which busts them out. :D
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've grown to hate pop up blinds after owning 3. I'd much prefer a ground blind built weeks in advance of the season. I hate the limited vision out of them and would much prefer to build a blind from surrounding natural brush. If you do use a commercial blind, then follow Vixenmasters advice and brush it in very, very well!

I rarely call any more. I've grunted up a few large bucks over the years, but it's a very low percentage technique and you run the chance of spooking more deer than you see.

If you hunt in an area where there are a lot of other hunters, chances are they're using the same calls and scents you are. Deer learn real quick that responding to Tinks #69 and a Primos Hardwood Grunter will get you shot at. Or that coming into them downwind, they always smell human scent mixed in. So they learn to avoid them altogether.

Even if there aren't a lot of other hunters in the area, you can still spook deer with your calls and scent. If smaller bucks have been whooped up on by other bucks, then when they hear you grunting, they may fear getting an antler up their bottoms and high tail it out of there.

Does that are not in heat don't want to be cold nosed by a horny buck. If they hear your can call or smell your Tinks #69, they'll probably avoid you because they fear of being harassed.

I've seen all the above happen at one time or another in the years I've been hunting.

Nowadays I prefer to set up and try to remain undetected. I don't want any extra scent or anything to alert them that something may be near them. I want them to be enjoying their walk in the woods one minute and then "THWACK", :shock: their world comes to an end the next minute.

I still carry a grunt call and a can call, but I'll only use them as a last resort. Learn how to pattern deer and get close to them while remaining undetected, then you won't have to worry about how to rattle or whether Brand X scent is better than Brand Z scent! :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
wabi

Post by wabi »

I keep my blind set up year-round. It's at my food plot and I rarely call from it, but if I do it's just a short series of calls at low volume then silence.

I also painted the windows of the blind flat black so they appear similar open or closed.
Been busted many times before I tried that modification, but not since.

Here's a pic of the blind from my trail cam angle at low light where the cam took the pic in B&W. (closer to what a deer's vision would supposedly be)
Note the windows on the blind - they're closed in this pic, and the blind's empty.
blind.JPG
wabi
lscha

Post by lscha »

If you're on an all day hunt and have, ahem...facilities in your blind, you will usually see deer when you attempt to use them because you are in no position to do anything about it. I have, on occasion, pretended to use them just to get them to show up.

Let me know if it works for you. :roll:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Post by wabi »

lscha wrote:If you're on an all day hunt and have, ahem...facilities in your blind, you will usually see deer when you attempt to use them because you are in no position to do anything about it. I have, on occasion, pretended to use them just to get them to show up.

Let me know if it works for you. :roll:

I've also found the aroma of a cup of coffee brewing on the alcohol stove, and lighting up a vanilla flavored cigar will work under certain conditions. :lol: :lol:
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I wouldnt move blind right now..get decoy put where you want to shoot. buck will aproach head on most of the time...( BUT just when you think he will he wont) alot of times if you call or rattle and they come in and see no deer they get spooky. If they see the decoy it will settle them and they will come on in and investigate..wear rubber gloves for decoy.good luck
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

With thousands of acres of public hunting a mile or two from me I've found out that calling, rattling, or using any kind of scent is suicide. It's just like OKhunter said...everyone and their dog is using scents and making noise on the gov't ground and the deer are wary. Set your natural ground blind up so you have a creek or ravine downwind and behind you. Your scent will settle down in the low areas if it isn't too windy and the deer can't hook around downwind as easy to get your scent. Find a choke point along a well used travel route and set up an ambush. Gary
FJB

Post by FJB »

Has anyone used turkey decoys to calm the deer down? When im turkey hunting and have the decoys out the deer appear to be curious and come to them. I was thinking of trying them.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I hope you tag one bugs. I would love to see a feild pic of you beside your deer. You and vixchix are the ones Im secretly rooting for. I know with time it will come, you both know what your doing and its just a matter of time.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Awww.. Scott, you're so sweet! You're right - it's just a matter of time for us! :D

Not all locations are equal. Some are more deer rich, some are more likely to produce at certain times of the day, and then there's just luck. It's certainly not for lack of trying.

Not matter what, the time out is never wasted. I might be freezing and wondering why I'm there, but those precious hours out in the woods keep me smiling for days afterward. Its therapy! :D I often look around at my coworkers and wonder if they have any idea of how immensely gratifying it is to sit still and have squirrels think you're part of a tree, or the joy of hearing birds begin to sing just before daylight, or the satisfaction of knowing you can wander out into the woods and find your way to your tree in the dark - I mean, seriously, how many get to really experience that - not just in a fleeting way, but in a way that soaks right into and through us? I get to do that almost every weekend in spring and fall! Life is good.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

VixChix wrote:Awww.. Scott, you're so sweet! You're right - it's just a matter of time for us! :D

Not all locations are equal. Some are more deer rich, some are more likely to produce at certain times of the day, and then there's just luck. It's certainly not for lack of trying.

Not matter what, the time out is never wasted. I might be freezing and wondering why I'm there, but those precious hours out in the woods keep me smiling for days afterward. Its therapy! :D I often look around at my coworkers and wonder if they have any idea of how immensely gratifying it is to sit still and have squirrels think you're part of a tree, or the joy of hearing birds begin to sing just before daylight, or the satisfaction of knowing you can wander out into the woods and find your way to your tree in the dark - I mean, seriously, how many get to really experience that - not just in a fleeting way, but in a way that soaks right into and through us? I get to do that almost every weekend in spring and fall! Life is good.

Your so right Moni..its never time wasted. I love just being there and unwinding..everything else is extra to me.However i do get reved up chasin that big boy when I know im close....good luck sweet lady..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!