I want some of your opinions please

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Archer Ontario

I want some of your opinions please

Post by Archer Ontario »

i will be purchasing an excalibur crossbow this year i want to shoot the thumbhole stock .
what do you all think about the vortex or equinox
i have it narrowed to these 2 bows.
i have asked some guies and i have been told the equinox is a string chewer
i want to hunt moose bear deer and turkey
would love to hear the truth from the people who actually own them
what are the pro and cons of both.
any tips
Boo strings and triggers ??
what benifit does this give you.
im no stranger to bowhunting i have hunted with compound for well over 20 years but with a compound due to a shoulder injury i have to change gears
Please any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Pydpiper

Re: I want some of your opinions please

Post by Pydpiper »

The faster bow will give you a slightly flatter trajectory, but as an experienced archer then that is a moot point for you. The faster bow will allow you to shoot heavier arrows on larger game, like moose and bear, but both will do the job fine.
The heavier poundage bows do chew through the servings faster, but that is a minor issue, again, being experienced with bows for 20 years I am confident you can reserve a string.
Bottom line, there is no difference besides speed and trajectory, both units will meet your requirements.
I chose the 200# (middle of the road) bow, I am a healthy and fit person who did a whole lot of research, just like you are doing now.
Strings, triggers, paint jobs, cat whiskers.. Just like adding fancy rims on an already nice car. None will make your game easier to find, none will make them more dead.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Just my opinion Pyd has said it all.I can only add welcome lots of good tips,advice and people here to help you in your crossbow hunting success's!
The best things in life are not things!!
secret

Post by secret »

Starting off with....If you have small hands you might not want to get a thumbhole stock, you wont be able to reach the safety in shooting position Next with the right arrow a 200# bow is all you need. Turkey hunting with a crossbow .....200# is waaaay toooo much . I would go pick up both styles and shoulder them to be sure you know what you want. When i was looking to buy my bow, i wanted a thumbhole too..........i came home with a Exocet 200!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Bones

Post by Bones »

I have an Exo 200, and hunt moose and bear with it.....No Problem. Like what has already been said which ever one shoulders and feels the best for you, will be just fine. My 2 cents worth
bones
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Have had the both. Vortex remains. Lighter trigger, 'softer' shot, easier to cock esp if shooting repeatedly, easier on servings, targets and arrows. More than enough speed for anything I hunt (BTW, only 15 fps difference with 405 gr arrows). In fact the bow I shoot most is the Phoenix (Ibex with plain stock). I too like the TH stock and would get the Ibex but this "firebird" is so sweet that it's not going anywhere soon.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum friend.
Pydpiper pretty much summed it up quite nicely...nothing to add here.
I will say that I shoot a Vortex and I just love this crossbow.
Have had it quite awhile without a lick of trouble but that is typical of any Excalibur crossbow.
I don't find that it is an issue to reach the safety on the thumbhole stock.

Good luck choosing a bow and happy hunting!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
strum

Post by strum »

I have the exomax..no problems so far with it,,except some dumb things i did..
got it used back in sept,,been shooting it alot..killed 2 deer and a tree :shock:
seving is holding up so far but im sure ill go with a Boo next year,,Im pretty fit so i hav no probs cocking it with the rope cocker but i will say i wouldnt want to have to pull any more and im sure ill go down in poundage as i get older .im 45..and 5'7"..
I got a good price on mine but i had my sights set on either
a exocet or a pheonix..an di may end up with a pheonix yet..unless i can get Vixenmaster to part with Miss Vixen..lol
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16