Take a woman to the range! :)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Take a woman to the range! :)

Post by VixChix »

Was posting this on another thread (which I'm sorry for hijacking, Bugs! :oops: ) I though it would be better posted here:

I'm sure there are plenty more gals out there like Bugs, Laura, Phoenix, SwiftFox, QueenBee, Algonquin and the others that hang out (or lurk) here. Some of the gals just don't know yet that they enjoy being out in the woods because they haven't had the chance to experience it like we have.

Not too many women take up hunting and just go do it. Generally we need to feel that we know as much as we can before we take the first step. Then we want someone who can guide us through those first experiences and reassure us we're not off base. That someone needs to understand that fine line between babysitting and facilitating. :D

Things like clothing fit, warmth, peeing in the woods, using gear often designed by guys for guys... it's all very different for us than for guys.

We don't often find the camaraderie with others that the guys find. I've never hunted with another woman.

Women can feel awkward hooking up with guys for hunts - we fear that we're holding them back, cramping their style, intruding on their "guy time", and screwing up and ruining their hunt, or that we have ulterior motives.

Women are also mostly raised not to be alone in the dark. Since we've been able to walk we've been taught to be safe, be aware, stay in well lit areas with other people. Hunting goes against that. We also don't feel at all comfortable going up to places we don't know and asking for permission to hunt - we find ourselves thinking: "what kind of woman does that?"

If a guy takes up shooting he'll have friends that think it's cool. Women don't usually get that support. Some people think we're a bit warped or that we're somehow unhappy with being born female. :roll:

When I hunted out west it was with a boyfriend. When we moved here I didn't know anyone who would take a girl hunting. The hunters I knew were pretty chauvinistic. I didn't know any places where I could hunt on my own. So I didn't hunt again for many years until I met Tim - I'm glad he's the kind of guy who encouraged me to join him in sport and didn't just keep it as "guy time" with his pals.

So my message is: take a gal to the range! Let her enjoy just shooting. Start with a pellet rifle, then a .22. Once they get comfortable with the equipment they will enjoy the challenge of hitting paper. Go slow. Make it fun. Generally women will need to have things explained a few times and demonstrated before they will try - not because they don't get it the first time, but because they often don't trust themselves to have it right. Most of us weren't raised to be that confident about "guys sports". Somehow deep in our genes we still believe the lie that shooting sports are mostly for guys for a reason. Once a gal realizes she can shoot, it's a really empowering feeling. I'm not sure if guys ever experience it the same way.

Give a gal a chance and the right support and there's a good chance she'll be out there in a tree stand before you know it! :D :D :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Re: Take a woman to the range! :)

Post by one shot scott »

My 2 girls are going to have the option of going out to hunt with Dad, just like their two brothers. I hope it interests them enough that it will be something they do on their own when grown.

My wife enjoys target shooting, and shes better at it than I am :lol: No interest in hunting though.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd like to get my wife more involved in hunting, but not sure it would be safe for me.
She's threat enough just armed with a cast iron skillet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I think she's like most women. Caught up in living up to those "standards" you mentioned that have been passed down for so many generations. I think it's slowly changing, but in most cases it's going to be a very slow process.
You're probably right, just getting someone interested in shooting is a good start. :idea:
wabi
RDPress

Post by RDPress »

My wife has her own bow and enjoys shooting it, but, she hasn't done much of it since our eldest was born in March 2008. She swears that she'll be back at it and ready to go by Fall 2011.

She doesn't like shooting guns...which is fine with me. She's a lefty. We'd need to spend more money on her own guns. :wink:
Hazmat

Post by Hazmat »

I have taken my wife "Geneva" to the B.R.R.C. where I am a member (17Years)
She enjoys shooting my Ruger Mark II, 22 calibur pistol so much that she now claims it as hers :lol:
While she enjoys fishing and even more out fishing me (she caught the biggest pike last year) she will not come hunting with me :(
Never argue with an idiot; they will only bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!

EQUINOX
Munch Mount
NGSS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am very fortunate, my wife and I spent most of our first dates fishing, it is how we found the house we live in now. She grew up with two brothers and a Dad that hunt, so she is no stranger to meat hanging in the shop, she has her own rifles, recurve and last year I bought her the Ibex for our anniversary. :D
Now we have 2 daughters and a son, all share the same appreciation for hunting, fishing and just being outside.
The hunting world is accepting women, there are now full lines of clothing for them. I bet half the pages in my Bass Pro fliers are geared towards women these days. It truly is nice to see.
Like Norms signature "Teach your wife to hunt, so you don't have to hunt for your wife", I love that. :D
A little patience combined with good values can enlighten anyone to the sport.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
catcher

Post by catcher »

My wife just completed the hunter safety and firearms course this weekend and scored 98 % on written and 100 % on gun practical. And was bugging me on Monday to take her shooting , so maybe some plinking this weekend is in order. My wife hunting is weird to me becasue when we first meet she thought meat came from the grocery stire out back in the room back there. Well she finally said to me if you can't beat em you might as well join em. So this should be a fun time in our life together. I am very prowd of her for doing so well at the course .
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
RANGER94

Post by RANGER94 »

My wife, while very supportive, has no interest in hunting. I do have twin daughters age 3, and if I was a bettin man, will both be hunters..
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

Last winter i took my daughter along on a coyote hunt.She loved seeing the hounds chasing the coyotes and got bitten by the bug.This year she informed me that she was going to get her hunting and gun licenses.I promised her if she got both that id buy her a pink 870 20 gauge for passing,,,guess what shes getting for christmas.She has bought her own pink vixen crossbow and we have been out a few times.Nothing compares to seeing your children see there first deer up close.
We were sitting between 2 blown down trees and a buck chased a doe right past us.Her eyes were like saucers and i only hope im with her when she gets her first deer.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My wife had a hunting licence out in BC but has not renewed it here in Ontario. She talks about getting it again. She supports me in hunting.
Queenbee

Post by Queenbee »

Awesome post, I am up to going hunting with the girls any time :)
"Think Pink" I am a survivor!!!
Queenbee

Post by Queenbee »

.500 I am scared to think what that would do to ya LOL!!!
"Think Pink" I am a survivor!!!